LT1 doesn't pick up well - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, LT1 doesn't pick up well in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I think they're south of Fairbanks on the Donnelly Range. -50F would be pretty ordinary. Cope Thunder is all over ...
    dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: LT1 doesn't pick up well

I think they're south of Fairbanks on the Donnelly Range. -50F would be pretty ordinary. Cope Thunder is all over the northern part of the state. I worked on navy missile fire control CW radar where you could be in the beam for no more than 2 seconds out of every 30 second period if you were at least 1100 feet away. We could track a seagull and take him right out of the sky. I preferred precision tracking radar to surveilence.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

These radars are arty trackers. If it flies, and meets ballistic tragectory, it notifies the operator, else, it maps it in the clutter map and keeps tabs on it to see if it changes.

I want Mythbusters to try to do a radar show to see if you can really kill a bird with a radar....

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It took us less than a minute before a seagull went all spastic and dropped. The illumination portion of the beam put out 5KW CW in a .9deg. beam. We could light up fluorscent lights in houses from miles away. On one occasion we fired all the photographic flash bulbs at once in the Base Exchange.

There were thousands of bird carcasses picked up around the BMEWS screens at Clear AF Base, Alaska. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...ion_Alaska.jpg
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

ROTFLMA! The AN/TPS 58 team I worked with (I was the DS/GS radar support) kept a couple fluorescent tubes in the shelter to do night sighting in, they could illum at 100M, but I don't know if they ever tried more.

Most of the time if we ever radiated there weren't houses for miles and miles around.

But there was the time the FF guys were running the radars pointed at the antennas up at NORAD. About 2 weeks after they started they got a high res satellite phote with the radar circled and a polite "please stop".... They got the idea....

Then the base commanders wife and one of the brigade commanders wives saw the radars pointing over the housing area and had a conniption so they ended up moving the whole radar unit to another motor pool so they couldn't even bring the antenna up close the housing area anymore...

I have heard the radar guys tossing a bag of microwave popcorn over the antenna with a fishing line and popping. This radar is a scanning beam and is hard to narrow down to focus enough to hit something that small at that range. You really needed to be out farther.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Hey N0DIH...not 100% related to this thread, but I just emailed you about some tuning and wanted to post here too in case you didn't check it for a while.

Otherwise, seems like some more interesting developments here, whatever they might be regarding axles and such.

Sorry, I was looking at it thinking I really highjacked this thread! Sorry guys!!!

I'll check my email and get back to you

425 Dual Quad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94, '93 & '76 Fleetwood Broughams. '77 & '73 Coupe deVilles

Hi, yes I was thinking that some while ago! No matter I think we completed the discussion on why the traction control cuts in so agressively on these LT1s.

cheers! Nick

Cadillacboy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

That's what I too noticed when I first drive my FWB . The pedal pushes against you when TCS is on. I remember posting a thread on this as well . Anyway, I had my PCM tuned and it really picks up superbly ! .I think stock was good too considering the size of the vehicle .
    I love LT1 power more than as ever
    I set the limit up to 150 mph

How is your throttle cable adjusted? The throttle cable adjustment is important on these cars, especially with TC, as there is another cable to take up slack with.

I can't say I would allow 150 mph with non V rated tires, and NO WAY with FE1 suspension. After sitting in one, not even driving, there is NO WAY I would take that more than 100 mph, even then, that is flat out scary. FE2 minimum, maybe a lowered FE2 (which simply is the FE4 Impala suspension with DeCarbon shocks and 17in V rated rubber). I have had mine to 133, and it was fine, that is stock FE2 with 9C1 shocks, which I feel are a bare minimum shock valving. So be careful if you don't have FE2 and going fast.

I think ,throttle cable is just stock adjustment . If possible I would like to have a drive by wire instead .
    I am aware of speed and tire combination and thanks for your warning as well. I hit over 108 mph (just to test the PCM tune ) and backed off at 115 mph . That was just a superb feeling . I know those cars aren't designed to speed up especially w/ the wheels combination .
    I set up 150 mph but that doesn't meant I will hit a race track and do such high speeds .
    I might also post a thread for the following issue but you can answer here as well.So, I don't wanna change my rims because they look so beautiful .The funny thing is that my tires are not V or Y rated and I don't know if there is an avaliable V or higher rated tires for my stock rims . That's where shoe pinches . What can I do ?
    17" or 18" rims might work greatly but those wheels wouldn't look as beautiful as my stock Brougham rims . As to the suspension , I don't wanna loose my bouncy ride . I don't know but I just like it
    With FE2 , my ride might be un -Cadillac in other words a harsh ride which I wouldn't like .
    With new tune up TC comes on where it was on with the stock PCM but throttle is more responsive and accelerates quicker

Avon does make a V rated 235 70 15. But @ $202 each, owch. And summer only.

Mine isn't harsh at all, but nice and controlled. No mush. The FE1 car I sat in that is in my front yard is awful (might have blown shocks). But the FE2 cars are nice and controlled. The Impala SS and the Cadillac FE2 ride identical except for the shocks and 17in wheels. Just lower ride height.

I set my speed limiters to 147 mph with a 143 restore so it would not hit the limiter too hard and hurt the engine. RPM limiters are hard on engines, just not as hard as overrevving....

Thanks for your inputs ,I really appreciate that . Price for the tires aren't a factor but it sucks if they're only for summer .
    Can you compare FE2 to '00 Seville STS ? I mean STS is a sporty car however the ride is not harsh at all yet comfortable .
    If I happen to convert the suspension to FE2 , can I have a softer or harder ride to the STS ? That's what I wanna know .
    For instance: 96Fleetwood has a harsh suspension for my taste from what I get but his car handles pretty well .
    I also take my foot off the gas pedal therefore I let the car shift up and relieve the engine . May be this is not necessary but I do it time to time .
    You could also slightly feel when the car shifted up prior to PCM tuning .Now, it is softer at the same speeds

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.