No Manual Option for 2016 CTS-V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, No Manual Option for 2016 CTS-V? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The latest issue of Car and Driver ("25 Cars Worth Waiting For"), states that the 2016 CTS-V will likely be ...
    rcl4668 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

No Manual Option for 2016 CTS-V?

The latest issue of Car and Driver ("25 Cars Worth Waiting For"), states that the 2016 CTS-V will likely be offered only with an automatic and no manual option. Does anyone have any other sources that have reported something similar? While I understand that manuals are now a small minority in the car market, the lack of a manual option for a car of this caliber would be a deal killer for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Re: No Manual Option for 2016 CTS-V?

I don't think anybody knows for sure yet. It wouldn't be difficult for Cadillac to offer it with the same TR6070 manual that's in the C7 Vette, but rumors keep surfacing that say it'll only have an auto. As far as any of us know, it hasn't been decided yet.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    F-ing. Horrible. I hope they rethink that. And not after the fact like they did with the coupe. Foot room became an issue.

V-Horse is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

100% Agree. No manual to connect me to these wonderful engines/car = No Sale. GM, are you paying attention?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    This is just rumor. Don't be talkin like its fact yet...

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of demand for manual transmission. They don't sell, they aren't as fast, so automakers are dropping them. The options for clutched sporty cars is getting slim!

My money would be no manual for and cadillac.
    Harry_Wild likes this.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous
    Unfortunately there isn't a lot of demand for manual transmission. They don't sell, they aren't as fast, so automakers are dropping them. The options for clutched sporty cars is getting slim! My money would be no manual for and cadillac.
    Your probably spot on, with the paddle shifters being what they are and shifting in auto transmission being more on the order of a quick shift kit on steroids. It puts the thrill in the hands of the would be manual trans cluts.
    But even so they should leave the option for those who are willing to pay.
    On the same note can six speed tranny keep up with quick change 8 speed?
    Or better yet could there be an eight speed manual?

You'll have to excuse me... I'm OLD ..... School.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

From a company that made a 556hp station wagon with a manual transmission, anything is possible. Saying 'it's not popular, so there won't be a manual' doesn't mean squat when considering my manual Vagon actually exists.

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    From a company that made a 556hp station wagon with a manual transmission, anything is possible. Saying 'it's not popular, so there won't be a manual' doesn't mean squat when considering my manual Vagon actually exists.
    Considering GM's financial situation, I don't see them making that mistake again. From a shareholders standpoint the wagon was a fail. From a PR standpoint it was a win, and I'm glad they made it.

I don't see the current leadership, judging from the videos and awful press conference presentations of hipster euro trash imagery, pushing R and D towards another manual muscle car wagon. I am also a pessimist by nature.

Cadillac didn't make money with the Sportwagon. They did make money with the Vagon.

They also had no problems selling any V with a manual ever made...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Cadillac didn't make money with the Sportwagon. They did make money with the Vagon.

They also had no problems selling any V with a manual ever made...
    That is true - my point is that the V isn't what is keeping the brand alive in terms of simple sales numbers. There is an argument to be made from a branding standpoint for short run performance models. Further breaking those performance models into wagons which don't sell, and manuals that don't sell as well as automatics has to be considered. Maybe it will simply depend on the engineering of the new platform - did they design the wagon into it already or not?

I'm not sure why Merican don't like wagons, but they don't. Its hard to argue producing a car that will only sell a couple thousand units. Not impossible, just difficult.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

And let's not forget that on the V, the manual is STANDARD. It's the automatic that is optional, and an added cost option at that. And the reason Cadillac is still making money on V wagons is because the regular CTS wagon already existed. GM only needed to sell what was it, 50 or 60 V wagons, in order to be in the black. Every single V wagon after that was profit. Sales numbers overall are not relevant since every single one sold after that first 50 or 60 or whatever it was, was profit.

Unless somebody would like to try to argue that GM doesn't like making profit, there's no substance to the argument that the V wagon didn't sell well. The V wagon actually sold FAR more units than GM had predicted, and every single one made them money (past that initial 50 or 60).

The V3 isn't going to be the same thing because there's no regular CTS wagon on the new platform so they can't build a V wagon off it for minimal cost like they did with the V2. But in terms of the manual, it's a parts bin item. The C7 is already using it, so there's nothing preventing them from offering it in the V3. That, more than anything else, is the most likely reason GM will offer the next V with a manual.

And consider this - with the automatic as an added cost option, and the knowledge that the auto is the preferred transmission, it allows Cadillac to offer the CTS-V for a little bit less money by speccing the manual as standard, and make a little more profit off each one sold with an auto, which is and will be the majority of them. So there is actually some incentive to offer a manual beyond the fact that most driving enthusiasts prefer it.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    And let's not forget that on the V, the manual is STANDARD. It's the automatic that is optional, and an added cost option
    Nope. Manual or automatic is the same price.

And to the people who love their Vagons and coupes, the V made its name without those. While I like seeing the variants, I don't think its crucial to have them...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    And to the people who love their Vagons and coupes, the V made its name without those. While I like seeing the variants, I don't think its crucial to have them...
    True, although, I won't buy another 4 door in my life!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.