No Manual Option for 2016 CTS-V? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, No Manual Option for 2016 CTS-V? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm betting a testicle that there's a manual. Maybe not a wagon...but a manual. One testicle....
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Re: No Manual Option for 2016 CTS-V?

I'm betting a testicle that there's a manual. Maybe not a wagon...but a manual. One testicle.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    I'm betting a testicle that there's a manual. Maybe not a wagon...but a manual. One testicle.
    Sorry but the manuals cost two testicles.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    And to the people who love their Vagons and coupes, the V made its name without those. While I like seeing the variants, I don't think its crucial to have them...
    True but the Vagon and coupe brought more attention to the line.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    Nope. Manual or automatic is the same price.
    That is a true statement, sorry I got that wrong. I could swear the auto was a cost added option originally, was it not? Anyway, my bad.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

The numbers aren't there for another wagon -- but I believe the numbers are there for a manual transmission. Remember, about 1 out of 5 CTS-V2s have a manual transmission.

And a lot of those buyers had to special-order their cars. That's passion you don't walk away from lightly.

.Jinx
    in fact, I bet you could charge a $1K premium for the manual and it wouldn't affect take rates

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    In fact, I bet you could charge a $1K premium for the manual and it wouldn't affect take rates
    I hate to agree because GM will see this and charge me another grand, but I agree.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

I hate to agree because GM will see this and charge me another grand, but I agree.
    I think that automatic buyers should pay a premium and the manual TR 6070 should be standard. I don't care about contrary opinions. This is a performances car and not a high volume mainstream model. There are plenty of German cars for those that don't like or are unable to drive a manual transmission.

Jud
    Jud

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe

Yup. I'd pay extra for the manual.

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    I think that automatic buyers should pay a premium and the manual TR 6070 should be standard. I don't care about contrary opinions. This is a performances car and not a high volume mainstream model. There are plenty of German cars for those that don't like or are unable to drive a manual transmission.

Jud
    Jud, I will agree with you, but when you get my age, and the knees don't bend like they used to, then the AUTO is nice to have. Like wanting your cake and be able to still eat it. I have that passion for the performance car and can drive it (even if an automatic) and I absolutely won't go the import route.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by rcl4668 View Post
    The latest issue of Car and Driver ("25 Cars Worth Waiting For"), states that the 2016 CTS-V will likely be offered only with an automatic and no manual option. Does anyone have any other sources that have reported something similar? While I understand that manuals are now a small minority in the car market, the lack of a manual option for a car of this caliber would be a deal killer for me.

Hmm... well, the last I heard, nobody employed by C&D had been invited by GM to any of their product planning meetings.

Best regards,

Elie

wh921 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 V, Thunder Gray, manual, Recaros, no sunroof.

I sent an e-mail to Cadillac through their web site yesterday urging them to make a manual available for the next gen V. I suggest other manual owners do the same. We may not be many, but we should make our voices heard.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    And the reason Cadillac is still making money on V wagons is because the regular CTS wagon already existed. GM only needed to sell what was it, 50 or 60 V wagons, in order to be in the black. Every single V wagon after that was profit. Sales numbers overall are not relevant since every single one sold after that first 50 or 60 or whatever it was, was profit.

Unless somebody would like to try to argue that GM doesn't like making profit, there's no substance to the argument that the V wagon didn't sell well. The V wagon actually sold FAR more units than GM had predicted, and every single one made them money (past that initial 50 or 60).

The V3 isn't going to be the same thing because there's no regular CTS wagon on the new platform so they can't build a V wagon off it for minimal cost like they did with the V2. But in terms of the manual, it's a parts bin item. The C7 is already using it, so there's nothing preventing them from offering it in the V3. That, more than anything else, is the most likely reason GM will offer the next V with a manual.
    Preach brotha preach! I was about to make the same argument.

However, the manual and automatic are the same price.

I bet there will be a manual. Cadillac will not let us down. They've given us a great luxury car with manual transmission. The take rate for manuals for the V2 was far higher than for more plebeian cars. That's not a market that it would be smart to walk away from.

TR-7070 or bust! Don't let a stinkin RUMOR get you down.

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    Yup. I'd pay extra for the manual.
    Better to pay a premium to have the option than to not have the option at all. At some point this is likely our fate -- not because the manual transmission itself costs more to manufacture, but because the integration costs are spread over a smaller number of sales.

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post

Jud
    I don't think the automatic drivers should pay a premium. I just think they should have a different badge

Quote Originally Posted by wh921 View Post
    I sent an e-mail to Cadillac through their web site yesterday urging them to make a manual available for the next gen V. I suggest other manual owners do the same. We may not be many, but we should make our voices heard.
    I would, but since they're not making a wagon, they're not getting my business anyway. And I firmly believe they'll offer a manual with or without my urging. They can't afford not to. Not yet.

.Jinx
    dreaming of an Elmiraj shooting brake

leres2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    I could swear the auto was a cost added option originally, was it not?
    Well, it does cost $1300 more because the gas guzzler tax increases from $1300 to $2600 when you select the automatic.

A buddy had a black 2009 he generously let me borrow for a few weeks when I was visiting a couple years ago. It was an automatic but still awesome. More recently, I was the first graduate of Spring Mountain's Cadillac V-Series Academy. And I don't mean one of the first, I was the only student -- I signed up for the December 2012 class months in advance and then hurricane Sandy happened which delayed delivery of their (29?) vehicles so they never signed anybody else up.

I've been planning for the last two years to buy a 3rd gen. I'd prefer it be supercharged but I'll settle for the twin turbo if absolutely necessary. But the manual transmission is non-negotiable. I don't even know what I'll get if Cadillac blows that.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to see optimists here. Personally, I'm hoping Cadillac wouldn't go to all the effort of starting up the V program at Spring Mountain and then kill the manual transmission a few years later.

IIRC, there was an east coast V Academy before 2012. I hope cadillac feels it's a worthwhile investment and continues it beyond the life of V2.

rcl4668 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Thanks for the posts everyone. To summarize, it sounds like it's too early to call this one but hopefully Cadillac reviews this forum and sees that the majority of posts prefer the option of a manual transmission. Also, is using the email on the Cadillac website the best option for emailing the company about this issue or is there another email address that would be better suited for this sort of thing?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.