Car and Driver V3 prediction - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Car and Driver V3 prediction in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Lack of a clutch pedal hasn't seemed to put the enthusiast press off the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series. Or ...
    2953 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS4 3.6 2014 CTS-V Wagon on order

Re: Car and Driver V3 prediction

Lack of a clutch pedal hasn't seemed to put the enthusiast press off the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series. Or the Merc S65 AMG. Or the Audi RS7. Or the Chevrolet SS. Or the...
    Luna. likes this.

dcc8203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 V-Wagon on order

I recall a meeting in San Antonio last February (2013) where the Director of Marketing for the V Brand mentioned that the next generation V would have rev-matching software on the manual transmission.

That was a year ago and much may have changed, but it seemed like there was going to be a stick shift option on the next gen in 2013.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Quote Originally Posted by 2953 View Post
    Lack of a clutch pedal hasn't seemed to put the enthusiast press off the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series. Or the Merc S65 AMG. Or the Audi RS7. Or the Chevrolet SS. Or the...
    When has Mercedes had a manual transmission? For that matter, when has it been the driver's choice among its peers?
    The Audi has That Interior and That Bod and AWD and It's Underrated and did I mention That Interior?
    The Chevrolet SS... nobody can really figure out the Chevrolet SS. And the lack of a manual has been mentioned.
    By all means, though, keep going past your ellipsis. What you're looking for is an enthusiast's car that used to offer a manual transmission but now only offers a torque-converter automatic, and still wins high praise against its more-prestigious competition. (One of which hasn't given up its manual yet.)

I don't think they're going to drop the manual transmission. I think they might charge a premium for it. I think they might even limit it to the Plus version -- Mercedes and BMW both have Plus versions, and it's a fine way to charge several thousand dollars for a tune and some "serious enthusiast" accoutrements. But after all the positive press and enthusiast cred they've gotten for the V's clutch pedal, I don't think they're in a position to give it up, because they still have other deficits to overcome, and I think they know it.

.Jinx

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

The V3 will have trouble competing with the 2015 RS5 and E63/C63 regardless of cost savings which may or not be all that much. We will see - I have my fingers crossed!

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Yeah all still just rumors. I agree there's still a good chance that the V3 will get the manual, simply because it's already in use in the C7. And at this point I would also prefer a TT setup over a supercharger, but who knows if that engine will ever materialize at all. But, no wagon no sale for me. I know I'm not in the majority, but I love my wagon.
    vagondr likes this.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Manual trans is so yesterday! Look at all the exotics with the paddle shifters and DC transmissions. Why do the extra work, when you can get a computer snap it in gear for you in the blink of an eye????????
    Harry_Wild likes this.

V-Horse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Why even drive, just play racing video games...

----------

By trying to make things easier, technology sometimes takes away the JOY of actually doing those things yourself.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    So the V-WAGON is to end up like the Chevy nomad? If so they are destined to be collectors items.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07
    So the V-WAGON is to end up like the Chevy nomad? .
    As long as it doesn't go the way of the Pontiac Aztek. Cue the puke.

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Manual trans is so yesterday! Look at all the exotics with the paddle shifters and DC transmissions. Why do the extra work, when you can get a computer snap it in gear for you in the blink of an eye????????
    problem is the GM 6l90e is terrible compared to a good double clutch or even the ZF 8 speed auto. Hopefully the new GM 8 speed will improve on shifting speed.

DrMongo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe, Black Diamond, Blk/Saffron Recaro's

Screw the transmission option! Why the hell would they not make the cpe and wagon? I have a 12 coupe and have been waiting on the fence to see where to go when I come off lease in July. If there is no coupe forcasted the decision will be much easier for me, I'M GONE! Not everybody wants a 4 door baby hauler.
    Suddenly I am back to looking at the euro competition. I cannot conceive of the thought processes that drive the decision process at GM. They have the potential to go head to head with the best that europe has to offer and they cant get out of their own way
    Great job GM, NOT!

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Quote Originally Posted by DrMongo View Post
    If there is no coupe forcasted the decision will be much easier for me, I'M GONE! Not everybody wants a 4 door baby hauler.
    Come on. Nobody buys a sedan to haul babies anymore. That's what SUVs are for. Or wagons if you've got a screw loose.

But hang in there. The ATS-V Coupe could be just the European-style inoffensive two-door-sedan quickness you're after.

.Jinx
    To be clear, I'm saying European coupes are conservatively styled, and the ATS Coupe follows suit -- not that that's a bad thing, but present V-Coupe owners thinking of getting something new might want to prepare themselves for a lower profile. And maybe two extra doors isn't quite the stylistic step down from the other two-door options out there.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    problem is the GM 6l90e is terrible compared to a good double clutch or even the ZF 8 speed auto. Hopefully the new GM 8 speed will improve on shifting speed.
    agreed. Porsche and merc can get away with no manual option because their transmissions are technical and performance marvels. I have not read anything that heaps any praise on the caddy automatic. They gotta have a world class automatic before they make it an auto-only product.......

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

FYI, GM's 8-speed auto:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-pdk-heres-how

They say it shifts faster than Porsche's PDK.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    BS

Terrible by what definition. It doesn't break. It holds a lot of power over stock - look at the RWHP that it holds with pretty good reliability. It certainly hasn't hurt the performance of the V in a straight line or on the track.

Certainly an updated, multispeed, fancy clutchy german like transmission would add some performance, feel, and upscale attitude but lets remember two things:

1) those fancy transmissions in BMW, GTR, BENZ, AUDI have had some major issues. I have read a slew of issues. They are strong and hold a lot of power, but they are expensive to put in the car, and expensive to fix when they go bad, particularly when connected to the fancy AWD systems. I'm not saying they aren't better than our 6190e, and a variety of ways, but lets not kid ourselves that there are not trade offs.

2) I happen to like the way the 6190e drives. Its smooth and I dont feel the shifts. I'm pretty sure thats the whole point. Its a cadillac in it heart, made for smooth crusing, comfy ride etc. I imagine this transmission was selected and tuned to fit that mold. If I wanted quick jarring shifts, throwing me back in my seat, and 9 shifts to get to 100, I would have purchased a different car, or simply gone with the manual. I would have been perfectly happy with the manual which alse shifts VERY smooth. People are so worried about shift speed, and I'm not saying it isn't important, but simply having .00002 second shifts is only one part of many factors in how the car accelerates, and the V wasn't and isn't presently a slouch in 0-60 or 1/4 mile acceleration.

3) The new S8 still uses an "outdated" slushy traditional trasmission I believe, and take a gander at the power its putting down..... my guess is, they also wanted to avoid complicated, stiff shifting sport like driving in their flag ship luxury car, and geared it towards comfort. In a larger sport sedan, I don't get the desire to make the car shift like a sports car - its not a sports car. Benz has a really good sweet spot in terms of sporty vs. comfort and sometimes goes a bit too sporty because of it in my opinion, and some of the review reflect this. It all depends on what you want out of the car. I don't think most Caddy owners want their sadan, wagon, or coupe to shift like a GTR....that just my opinion.
    Luna. likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.