Next Gen CTS-V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Next Gen CTS-V in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by StoneCrab I can say that GM would have to redesign the center console, including the powered cupholder ...
    JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrab
    I can say that GM would have to redesign the center console, including the powered cupholder area, to fit a manual shifter. Usually on cars that have both an auto and manual option the console itself is designed to accommodate either unit.
    A cupholder of any design has no place in a high performance car, period. Those that need them don't really need a super sedan. Also, automatic transmissions aren't any substitute for the involvement of a manual transmission. The combination of cupholder and automatic transmission is more suited to the Vsport or standard model.
    Jud

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Re: Next Gen CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    A cupholder of any design has no place in a high performance car, period. Those that need them don't really need a super sedan.
    Without a cupholder, you're doing a lot more one-handed driving and you're distracted by hanging onto those things you normally put into a cupholder while you're busy driving. Sounds like the opposite of a high-performance car to me.

I think maybe you've confused a performance car with a race car.

.Jinx

vfaninva is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
    I don't think it will have the raised hood like the V2 though.
    If you take another look at the camouflaged pictures there is a bulge in the hood.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    A cupholder of any design has no place in a high performance car, period. Those that need them don't really need a super sedan. Also, automatic transmissions aren't any substitute for the involvement of a manual transmission. The combination of cupholder and automatic transmission is more suited to the Vsport or standard model.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Cupholders are for posers. Heck, they should do away with A/C and power windows, those only add weight and slow the car down. And how can anyone claim to need a super sedan with a sunroof and heated and COOLED seats!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    If you take another look at the camouflaged pictures there is a bulge in the hood.
    I hope so, I think they need to make some body changes to make the V3 stand apart from the reg CTS and Vsport. Maybe GM will surprise us with their first DCT and high performance AWD system!

CTSV UT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V sedan, 2000 Eldorado ETC

StoneCrab,
    Those are some great points. It looks like there is a raised hood on the V3 from the pictures. I love the 8 speed automatic because it is faster than anyone could ever shift a manual and I would only buy the V3 with the automatic but, if you look at the numbers almost half the V2s sold were manuals. I can't believe they would abandon that portion of the market even though Mercedes and Audi has, BMW has both options. I don't see GM developing a DCT for the V3 because of the extra weight required to handle over 600lbs of torque when the 8L90 can handle 738lbs or torque. I think the DCT in design will be for less horsepower cards where the 8L90 is overkill. You could be right Cadillac could drop the manual thinking people will want the faster transmission and for cost purposes. I don't see GM spending the money to develop and AWD version of the V3 and I think traction will be a challenge with RWD only.

vfaninva is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSV UT View Post
    StoneCrab,
    if you look at the numbers almost half the V2s sold were manuals.
    So you're saying almost 50% of V2's are manuals?

CTSV UT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V sedan, 2000 Eldorado ETC

Actually, I think I was mistaken. I think it is more around the 20% of V2s are manuals which is still a large market. 17.6% in 2009. I thought I had seen higher number in 2010 and 2011 but, I could find that data again.

I can't see GM ditching the manual transmission on performance grounds. Not with all the orgasmic joy that the automotive press throws toward any car that has a manual. At least not until they have a DCT -- not because a DCT objectively performs better than a traditional automatic, but because it seems to be the only transmission with enough enthusiast cred to overcome the grief over a lost manual.

SoonerSpeedFreak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V CRYSTAL RED, GREY, AUTO, ALL OPTIONS

It is only speculation at this point. There will be no DCT though. If there was any chance of that it would be going in the new Z06. Trickle down effect with a high end transmission that is now "custom made" in house per GM. The new 8 speed auto GM has just designed for the new Z06 will surely be the new transmission. It is going to beat the manual on the strip and twisties. But I do believe there will be a manual V3, my opinion. GM is finally giving options on the new Z06 that were unthinkable to the purists. But now they will be reality. No reason to pull the manual as an option. 600+? Easily. I would think GM could easily put the new Z06 LT4 right into the new V. The numbers GM has released is 625HP-625TRQ MINIMUM. Rumors are it will easily be 650HP-650TRQ(or very close) Rumors? Go to the C7-Z06 forums. Almost all of the rumors have actually come true for the new Z06. I will go on a limb though and say there still could be a TT V8 coming to the caddies. LT4 makes more financial since though.
    The V2 made it's record ring times with a very poor auto in 2009. The auto is faster on the drag strip on the V2 also. But the fun factor and just personal preference for the manual will keep it around. So no sense starting the manual vs. auto fight again.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    Without a cupholder, you're doing a lot more one-handed driving and you're distracted by hanging onto those things you normally put into a cupholder while you're busy driving. Sounds like the opposite of a high-performance car to me. I think maybe you've confused a performance car with a race car. .Jinx
    If you actually put a cup in the cupholder of a manual transmission V2, it gets in the way of shifting gears. How's that for a distraction? Thankfully, the V2 has a lid for those openings. Would have been better to increase the length of the armrest console slightly to accommodate something useful like a 1911 .45 ACP.
    Jud

What kind of SuperAddict Big Gulp cup are you putting in there? Put an ordinary cup designed for a single human in the right-side cupholder and it doesn't get in the way of shifting gears. The left cupholder is for the energy bar. Are you sure you know how to drive?

Harry_Wild is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Sedandeville

No AWD option for the upcoming CTS-V! Ugh!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.