Based on this morning's Z06 reveal...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Based on this morning's Z06 reveal... in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...which says customers won't get cars until "early next year" I'd say anyone looking to buy a V3 is in ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Based on this morning's Z06 reveal...

...which says customers won't get cars until "early next year" I'd say anyone looking to buy a V3 is in for a long wait.

The eight-speed auto "about 4 kilograms lighter than the six speed" was an interesting tidbit, as was a smaller but faster-spinning blower than the LS9. Of course, some V2 owners already have experience with faster-spinning blowers...

---
    So settle in, boys and girls, it looks like V2 is still top of the Cadillac performance heap for another year or so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Re: Based on this morning's Z06 reveal...

I think "lighter" is going to be a major theme at GM. Note its kilograms not pounds. I heard engineering has been directed to measure in grams. Amazing they cound shave off ~10lbs and add 2 gears.

JD03Cobra is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Probably going to be the same LT4 around 600 hp.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Man they HAVE to have a manual or fancy auto clutch in that car.......

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by JD03Cobra View Post
    Probably going to be the same LT4 around 600 hp.
    Over on gminsidenews they're saying the LT4 is the V3 powerplant.

Wow.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Xaqtly is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

I'm totally down with that. It's pretty much exactly as I speculated months ago, a supercharged version of the new LT1 with all the new goodies - direct injection, cylinder deactivation, variable valve timing. I'm actually really happy about that, it gives the V3 a fighting chance to get some halfway decent MPG, especially if they make the C7's 7-speed manual available for it. Or the upcoming 8-speed auto too. And if they give it the same modes the C7 has, like the eco mode that uses the cylinder deactivation, you really will be able to use it as a halfway decent MPG daily driver, assuming you have the willpower to keep it in eco mode for your commute.

Now all we need to know is how much it will weigh, and how they're going to solve the traction issues.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

I hope they (GM) don't get carbon build up on the intake valves like Audi, BWM, and Mercedes has with their DI engines. Audi has been really bad about it too, they really don't want to clean them under warranty. Thats why I switched over from Audi. They have not yet shown to fix it and they were dicks about covering the costs of the cleaning.

DCV -- that's really really old news. Audi was an early adopter, and everyone has learned to deal with it since then. Some add an injector upstream, others tweak valve timing. The idea is to get some burn on the top side of the valves to burn the carbon off. Of course there will always be individual stories of buildup -- heck, it happened before direct injection -- but it's not a big deal.

As for the V3 transmissions, I would be shocked if we didn't get basically the same 7-speed manual and 8-speed automatic as the Z06.

As for the engine... I'm not sure GM will feel the need to give the car 625hp/635tq, especially since they've kept the weight off the base chassis. I know folks here feel differently, but it's GM's decision and they often skew conservative.

As an example look no further than this new LT4. Impressive, sure, but it's less hp than the LS9, and less hp than the Viper. We all know how horsepower-obsessed some folks can be. It's interesting that GM chose to pull up short of that number. It's a harder sell. It makes me think they might do the same for the V3. Maybe V3 doesn't get titanium intake valves and doesn't rev quite as high, or maybe the blower doesn't spin quite as fast, because GM figures they can get buy with slightly less cost (including warranty cost) and still have enough power to put up good track numbers and sell cars. Maybe they even hold the LT4 for a CTS-Vplus that extorts an extra $7300 out of buyers. After all, that's what BMW and Mercedes do.

.Jinx

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Audi was an early adopter, and everyone has learned to deal with it since then. Some add an injector upstream, others tweak valve timing. The idea is to get some burn on the top side of the valves to burn the carbon off. Of course there will always be individual stories of buildup -- heck, it happened before direct injection -- but it's not a big deal.

.Jinx
    So does anyone have any intelligence on how GM deals with carbon buildup on the LT1/4 emgines, and how effective it has been in pre-production testing?
    Jud

DCV

DCV -- that's really really old news. Audi was an early adopter, and everyone has learned to deal with it since then.
    Their current 2.0 turbo 4 still has the problem.........

From the "Gen 5 Small Block Lubrication System" news release last year:

PCV-integrated rocker covers
    One of the most distinctive features of the all-new Gen 5 engine is its domed rocker covers, which house a patent-pending integrated positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system that enhances oil economy and oil life, while reducing oil consumption. It also contributes to low emissions for the Gen 5.

The rocker covers also hold the direct-mount ignition coils for the coil-near-plug ignition system. Between the individual coil packs, the domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases – about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines. Each cover features an inlet and outlet path for the crankcase gases, with the separated oil dropping back onto the engine within the covers and the remaining air/gases circulated back into air intake stream for combustion. The system also prevents moisture from accumulating in the engine.

This integrated PCV system is an essential contributor of the Gen 5’s efficient performance and long-term durability – and the domes for it on the rocker covers make the Gen 5 engine instantly recognizable.

FLTRI is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by JFJr
    So does anyone have any intelligence on how GM deals with carbon buildup on the LT1/4 emgines, and how effective it has been in pre-production testing?
    I thought port injected engines had less of an issue because the valves get bathed in fuel and detergents.

Am I missing something?

Edit:

Scratch that. It's a DI engine.

----------

I have to say it again, they hit it out of the park with the C7. Beautiful car.

DCV

Sounds like the valve coves are in essence a catch can. Good idea hope it works.

Slizzo is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 RSM CTS-V Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    Man they HAVE to have a manual or fancy auto clutch in that car.......
    No need for a dual clutch when the 8L90 slated for the Z06 is reported to be faster shifting than the PDK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.