2006 DTS, what you don’t know that is finial for production.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, 2006 DTS, what you don’t know that is finial for production. in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

2006 DTS, what you don’t know that is finial for production.

So you have read the articles but do you know the 2006 DTS inside out? Pull up your chair and put down the coffee. I’m going to cover the latest advances and dispel a few rumors I cooked up in my preview of the new DTS. So do you think that this is a reskin of the 01 Deville? Well let us not think of it that way, it is quite a bit different. So let us call it a reincarnation of the 00 Deville. GM has redone the car with today’s technology, even down to fit and finish. GM claims that the new DTS used hundreds of “criteria points” so establish a very high tolerance for fit and finish resulting in a car that looks “as if it were crafted from a single piece of billet steel”. The styling is new and is inline with the “art and science” theme that arrived in pure production form on the CTS. As some of you know yours truly hasn’t warmed up to the new design as applied to the Deville yet. I’m sure my opinion will change when I see one on the floor at my local Cadillac dealer.

Powertrain for the actual 2006 DTS is different than what I have told you in my preview of the 2006 DTS. There will be one transmission just like the outgoing Deville. The transmission will be the 4t80e Hydramatic from GM, one of the best if the best front drive 4 speed automatics in the industry. Spinning the Torque Converter will be the Northstar V8 and like in years past there will be 2 flavors. The first in the top of the line car will be a 290-horsepower L37 code Northstar. In the base DTS there will be a 275 hp LD8. The LD8 as in years past puts more emphasis on “out of the hole” power, throttle response and torque. The L37 will have more emphasis to be the screaming high horsepower high revving Indy Racing League “wanna be” that we all know and love. The powertrain is held in the DTS by an all new engine cradle which is much stiffer than the pervious design and mounts the engine to the cradle and the cradle mounts to the body rails. Apparently this is much different than the outgoing Deville.

Safety for the new DTS will also be another tradition. As usual every new Generation or redesign of full size Cadillac gets the latest and greatest in airbag tech. The DTS will get the new GM bag system that inflates the bags to varying sizes and forces. These varying sizes and forces are dependent on several parameters including the distance between the dashboard and the passenger seat, passenger weight, usage of seatbelts, and will shut off if a child seat is detected. The airbag rate of inflation and size will be controlled by an internal strap in the airbag assembly. Also new this year are the size of the brakes in the car, which are massive 12.72 inch rotors. Also this year is a host of software and hardware to keep this car on the road like Stabilitrack , ABS, Magnetic ride control , brake assist and optional EIGHTEEN inch wheels to house those almost 13 inch rotors That is just a taste of the DTS safety story which is much too long to tell here.

“Can you hear me now?” In the 2006 DTS you can finally tune Verizon’s pencil necked geek out of your life by simply rolling up the windows. Thanks to Solutia and there “Saflex glass interlayer” which will be used in the side windows of the car. This new window design uses a polyvinyl butyral (PVB) interlayer to reduce sound even more and catch those nasty UV rays that burn almost as much as the Verizon Geeks voice. Even beater is the fact that this new glass weighs less than the outgoing glass used in the Deville.

The interior is another improvement of GM. Unlike years past GM is listening to its customers and there gripes over the interior. The new DTS has drop dead gorgeous interior developed by Leer a GM interior supplier. The interior will feature REAL wood (no more fake crap), real chrome, and hand stitched portions to ensure you aren’t touched by anything hard or cheap. Also GM got Lear to apply the “Lear Flexible Seating Architecture (LFSA)” and the Lear Spray PUR which is a seamless polyurethane coating that is used for instrument panels in the 2006 DTS.

This winter has been pretty harsh for a few of our friends to the north that are unable to enjoy the Sunny Florida Life. A lot of you have spent the winter digging for an old credit card to chisel the icy goodness off your windscreen. So an interesting little trick the 2006 DTS will have a feature from a nice group of folks from Microheat that have come to your iced over rescue. Featured not only on the DTS but the Buick Lucerne will be the “Hotshot” windshield de ice system. The system works with any sort of washer fluid you enjoy and when in either park or drive the system can be activated as soon as the engine is running to squirt a wicked hot stream of liquid at the windshield to de ice it and restore visibility.

Like what you see so far? Go see your Cadillac dealer for me and buy one of these bad boys so and tell us about it!

Further reading and sources:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...1545500189.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/s...7/daily63.html

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050209/dew002_1.html

http://www.nwherald.com/BusinessSect...2211406037.php

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050209/95590_1.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2006 DTS, what you don’t know that is finial for production.

Good article! Cadillac will sooner or later roll out a Lexus beater, and I'm thinking THIS ONE might be it.

lets hope so ...id like to see caddy steal lexus sales on a massive scale

chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

That's got a ton of cool little features in there. Maybe this thing isn't so horriffic afterall...?

DVC-Don is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD - 2006 Hummer H3

Thanks for the article and links. I just told the wife last week I wanted a DTS for my next vehicle replacement in 18 months.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Hot water sprayed on an iced windshield will turn to ice itself in moments. Mine is better. My 1993 Sixty Special has a heating element between the glass that heats up to nearly hot and thaws the stuff away in 90 seconds. I purposly left the car out ONCE, in an ice & snow storm that was to be only 3 inches, to test it. I tested it and it worked like a dream, & then put the car in the garage. Smart move! The 4" snow/ice storm continued all day & night and wound up a foot & 2 inches, or 14 and not 4 inches.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

Sandy, window washer fluid does not freeze unless it is -40.

majax , windchill doesnt help ....

I have personally seen windsheild washer fluid freeze .....but thats when i lived in alaska .....

I had also personally driven a car that never "warmed up" the temp gauge never budged off "c" ...that was neat

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.