2010 Dts
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: High-end Caddys - what should Cadillac do?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beat the Germans: 2010 DTS = S-class/7-series killer

    28 66.67%
  • Market inundation: Build both FWD cushy boat and RWD German killer

    8 19.05%
  • Stick to beating Lincoln: Forget the high-lux market, stick to the Town Car market

    5 11.90%
  • Retreat and refocus: Drop the larger car market, focus on CTS, STS, and V-series

    1 2.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, 2010 Dts in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The 2006 DTS is going to replace the current Deville. This probably means more of the same "old Cadillac" school ...
  1. #1
    Incendiary is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    23

    2010 Dts

    The 2006 DTS is going to replace the current Deville. This probably means more of the same "old Cadillac" school of thought, like FWD, boat-like handling, soft and cushy ride, senior citizens in Florida, etc.

    My question is several-fold: Do y'all think the next DTS should be converted to a S-class/7-series fighter, as in RWD, slightly smaller in size, $20k higher in price, and a continuation of the remaking of Cadillac's image as a sport-luxury maker hellbent on taking back its former world-leading luxury title? Or should Cadillac even try to go so high so fast, if at all? The market in that segment would be pretty crowded, as everyone but Acura has a car in that class: S-class, 7-series, A8, LS430, Q45, XJ, Quattroporte, Phaeton... Should Cadillac stick to the current target market for the Deville? Or should they build both cars? FWD DTS at $50k and RWD FTS (or whatever you'd call it) to take on the Germans and Japanese?

    Thoughts?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,024

    Re: 2010 Dts

    I think they are doing the right thing right now as they have made leaps and bounds. Personally I feel that they already have beat the Germans and quality surveys prove that like JD Power.

    The focus is Lexus and their "top quality" persona and that will be dealt with I'm sure.

    I think the continuing focus will be RWD for more powerful cars. AWD will be more common than ever and the STS will lead the way for Cadillac.

  4. #3
    Vesicant's Avatar
    Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,703

    Re: 2010 Dts

    To Deville/DTS - Follow the lead of the STS, CTS and the rest... fight the imports.

  5. #4
    zeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    37

    Re: 2010 Dts

    well on one hand i feel that they should bring out a 7 series size and performance cadillac but they may not sell as many (the 7 series and a8 people are very loyal).

    what i would like to see cadillac do:
    build a large car (sdv replacement) and make it rwd or awd with 2 different engines. take the current 4.6L northstar engine and put it in a base deville/dts and make the base rwd with an awd option. make the top of the line deville/dts a rwd with awd option but either drop in the 4.4L s/c engine (from the sts-v) or make a v10 (the better choice in my opinion).

  6. #5
    davesdeville's Avatar
    davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,971

    Re: 2010 Dts

    I'd like to see the Deville stick to being roomier, cushier, and bigger than an STS and let the customer pick AWD or RWD. Then a M5 kind of car DTS-V with at least the 4.4SC or preferably the XV12 N* I've heard rumors about being put in the upcoming redesign of Escalades. The base would stick to competing with (and would be beating) the Town Car, the V would just lay waste to the high performance big luxury sedans.

  7. #6
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,024

    Re: 2010 Dts

    Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    I'd like to see the Deville stick to being roomier, cushier, and bigger than an STS and let the customer pick AWD or RWD. Then a M5 kind of car DTS-V with at least the 4.4SC or preferably the XV12 N* I've heard rumors about being put in the upcoming redesign of Escalades. The base would stick to competing with (and would be beating) the Town Car, the V would just lay waste to the high performance big luxury sedans.

    The way I see it the STS would be more the 5 series fighter, and the bigger Deville the 7 series counterpart.

  8. #7
    ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    435

    Re: 2010 Dts

    We shouldn't have to pay $70k for a sedan, not an SUV or minivan, with a back seat and trunk big enough for four tall adults and their luggage. Everyone but me is getting fatter too. I'll bet GM still uses 95% population measurements from decades ago, when people were shorter and thinner. The car magazines never give a damn about room or they would have to complain about BMW and be struck by lightning.

  9. #8
    Playdrv4me's Avatar
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    TPA / STL / ICT / SAT
    Posts
    11,684

    Re: 2010 Dts

    This will be controversial. I think we can all dream of a DTS one day growing up and being a high dollar 7 Series and S Class fighter, but really, the STS is a good car for this. Continual improvements in quality and feature content should make the STS even more and more appealing to premium luxury car buyers as time passes. Unfortunately, the role of the Deville has been slowly eroded by the Escalade of all things. The Escalade is todays big floaty RWD vehicle in place of the sedans of before, and so the DTS could slowly be phased out and Cadillac could probably evolve just fine. Make no mistake, the DTS right now exists primarily as a Town Car fighter, and I think the Town Car is actually the better of the two as it stands.

  10. #9
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,024

    Re: 2010 Dts

    Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    This will be controversial. I think we can all dream of a DTS one day growing up and being a high dollar 7 Series and S Class fighter, but really, the STS is a good car for this. Continual improvements in quality and feature content should make the STS even more and more appealing to premium luxury car buyers as time passes. Unfortunately, the role of the Deville has been slowly eroded by the Escalade of all things. The Escalade is todays big floaty RWD vehicle in place of the sedans of before, and so the DTS could slowly be phased out and Cadillac could probably evolve just fine. Make no mistake, the DTS right now exists primarily as a Town Car fighter, and I think the Town Car is actually the better of the two as it stands.
    Just give the DTS rear wheel drive and all this changes. The size of the Deville is correct for a 7 series fighter, or S, however I'm betting changing the driveline would help change peoples minds. After pushing Dad's DTS on the highway when new, I'm more than confident it could run with the best of them, or fairly close. I've never been sucked into the seat like that and the engine doesn't seem to lose breath at all. I do recommend driving one before condemming FWD though. (yes, I'm aware FWD is on the way out, it still moves good with it, despite the evolving)

  11. #10
    Playdrv4me's Avatar
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    TPA / STL / ICT / SAT
    Posts
    11,684

    Re: 2010 Dts

    I have no problem with FWD, In fact, there are still many positives to it. I just think one of two things needs to happen here to prevent the DTS from falling into an obscure chasm where no one can figure out what its purpose is. Either it needs to be taken SERIOUSLY and turned into a SUPER luxury, ultra powerful sedan set apart from the rest of the Cadillac line (kind of like a baby Maybach) to give it REAL chiseled identity, or it needs to go away altogether. Dont get me wrong, I love the character and soul of your Dad's DTS, and the new redesign makes it even better, but what is key here, is that it needs sufficient identity to set it apart from the STS. An ultra luxury high end conversion with a unique engine configuration would probably do it, although they would have to expect low sales from the get go and produce accordingly to not have a Phaeton on their hands.

  12. #11
    Stoneage_Caddy's Avatar
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Undisclosed location in FL
    Posts
    14,603

    Re: 2010 Dts

    Rear drive , optional 10+ cylander northstar ,optional AWD..and a hybrid structure of unibody and full frame to cater beatter to limo companys

    Aim it right at the Benz S class in all categorys except styleing , make sure everyone knows its a caddy

    Keep base price around 65k...limo builder ready models at 50k ....and a "L" model with a factory 6 inch stretch at 75k with every bell and whistle cadillac can throw at it ..

    DTS
    DTSPC (Professional car)
    DTS S-I-X-T-Y

  13. #12
    Stoneage_Caddy's Avatar
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Undisclosed location in FL
    Posts
    14,603

    Re: 2010 Dts

    by the way ...remeber "someone" has mutterd that he and a few other mousekateers have been working on the zeta platform lately .....aka the auusie caprice ...

    now a cadillac guy working on that ? ..do the math

  14. #13
    gothicaleigh's Avatar
    gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    MyWorldIsEvil, ButAmericanMade
    Posts
    6,654

    Re: 2010 Dts

    Are you saying they need to platform share with the Caprice again? Big mistake. Cadillac needs to distance itself from the rest of GM for the luxury market to take it seriously.
    The Zeta platform is a cheapened Sigma platform. Cadillac won't put the DTS on a lesser platform than it's other cars.

    GM has already revealed that the next DTS will be RWD/AWD and ride on the Sigma platform around 2008. The recent restyling is merely a short term placeholder.
    The only question is whether they will have it compete in the market it exists in now or move up into the upper luxury classes (I'm hoping for a Sixteen-like standard of the world car).

  15. #14
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,024

    Re: 2010 Dts

    Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    I have no problem with FWD, In fact, there are still many positives to it. I just think one of two things needs to happen here to prevent the DTS from falling into an obscure chasm where no one can figure out what its purpose is. Either it needs to be taken SERIOUSLY and turned into a SUPER luxury, ultra powerful sedan set apart from the rest of the Cadillac line (kind of like a baby Maybach) to give it REAL chiseled identity, or it needs to go away altogether. Dont get me wrong, I love the character and soul of your Dad's DTS, and the new redesign makes it even better, but what is key here, is that it needs sufficient identity to set it apart from the STS. An ultra luxury high end conversion with a unique engine configuration would probably do it, although they would have to expect low sales from the get go and produce accordingly to not have a Phaeton on their hands.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are going RWD, and with more powerful engines it has to be done. I just don't know anymore what to think about the Deville. I used to say keep it traditional and large. Could the STS be the new flagship for sedans? If the DTS wasn't selling well they would have an excuse to kill it. Then again, why would they waste time and money changing the exterior/interion for the '06 model?

  16. #15
    Stoneage_Caddy's Avatar
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Undisclosed location in FL
    Posts
    14,603

    Re: 2010 Dts

    Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    GM has already revealed that the next DTS will be RWD/AWD and ride on the Sigma platform around 2008. The recent restyling is merely a short term placeholder.
    where/when was this ? Im going off a very credible source aka BBob ....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting