Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 Cadillac ZTS

19K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Lord Cadillac 
#1 ·
2014 Cadillac ZTS Preliminary Specifications
The 2014 Cadillac ZTS could cost between $85,000 and $95,000.
The Basics
Vehicle Type: premium large car
Drivetrain (CG estimates)
Drive wheels: all
Engine: 6.2-liter supercharged V8
Horsepower: 500
Torque: 570 pound-feet
Transmission: 6- or 8-speed automatic
Dimensions (CG estimates)
Wheelbase: 120.4 inches
Length: 200.3 inches
Width: 72.6 inches
Height: 57.6 inches
Base curb weight: 3,860 pounds

More information coming soon...

#4 ·
I think the XLR failed because it didn't live up to the price, not necessarily because of the price itself. Had the XLR been comparable to an SL550 in interior quality and performance, it would have sold better.

I think there's a market for a near $100k Cadillac, even more in the Premium large car category than in the sport coupe category. As long as the product justifies the price, it'll sell.

#3 ·
While certainly out of my price range, this sounds as the right thing to do to position themselves (Cadillac) to be a World contender (as far as a complete car line).

With most things Cadillac I shall quietly stand back and watch (with interest); and root root root for the home team.

#5 ·
They've got to get the $50-60K pricepoint right w/a large car before trying in the 90s...

#6 ·
$50-$60k will go to the XTS. The ZTS - if that's what they really call it - will need to be in the $65-$80k range. I'm worried about a $100k Cadillac at this point in time. It's only my opinion but I think Cadillac should go after cars like the LS460, XJ and Equus before going toe to toe (in price) with cars like the 750i and S550...

#7 ·
I agree, hueterm- I've said here more times than I can count that the timing isn't right for a flagship until they get their more common offerings (CTS, SRX, XTS) perfected. It still might work in limited quantities at this point, but I'd much rather see them get the current lineup and XTS to the top of their class and build brand perception before going both feet into the $85k+ market.

#8 ·
One of the prime reasons GM lost market share and went bankrupt was exactly the approach to product you guys seem to be advocating: Don't reach, don't go overboard, don't use the good stuff, cheap it out to be the segment's price leader. BE AFRAID OF THE COMPETITION, in other words. My 2006 CTS-V has a brilliant suspension and powertrain -- and leather and plastics that would be laughed out of a $25k Volkswagen. Why? So they could beat BMW on price, because they didn't have the institutional cojones to go head on at 'em. That's an approach that might keep (most of) the loyalists coming back, but it's not how you win new customers. Not enough.

Those days have to be over if GM is going to be relevant again. Have. To. Be. Over. They're DEFINITELY over in Dearborn.

They should aim at the S-class, period. They should do the best car they know how to do, use their new improved cost structure to offer more value than MB can, and introduce it at a slightly lower price -- and then RAISE that price once the market responds to the quality of the product.

And really, I think that's exactly what they'll do. Because if one thing is clear in this IPO runup, they are learning from their history -- and from Ford's example.

#11 ·
jrosevear said:
Because if one thing is clear in this IPO runup, they are learning from their history -- and from Ford's example.
What Ford example are you talking about? Ford has made huge strides by improving the quality and perception of their mass market cars (like the Focus, Edge, Flex and Taurus), not by tossing out a $50k flagship car to supplement a mediocre lower product line. If you really feel Cadillac should follow Ford's example, then they should do exactly what I suggested: Make sure the ATS, CTS, SRX and XTS are class leading cars in quality and perception. THEN build a flagship.

#19 ·
If I were inclined to bet on this (which I'm not; I'm not really inclined to bet on anything GM does at this point), I'd place a small wager on "Fleetwood". I get the sense that senior management's goal, in a nutshell, is to turn Cadillac back into Cadillac, and the heritage names may end up being part of that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.