Cadillac News: Report: Cadillac to get seven-seat Lambda variant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Cadillac News: Report: Cadillac to get seven-seat Lambda variant in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Filed under: Crossover , Buick , Cadillac , Chevrolet , GMC , Rumormill , Luxury Brace yourself, Cadillac fans. Word ...
    Cadillac Forum is offline The Creature
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Post Cadillac News: Report: Cadillac to get seven-seat Lambda variant

Filed under: Crossover, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Rumormill, Luxury

Brace yourself, Cadillac fans. Word has just come down the pike that The Crest will "absolutely" be getting a new model based on none other than the Lambda architecture. That means that a variant of the Chevrolet Traverse will be sold under all four of The General's brands. So far, drivetrain options are still up in the air and vague at best, but we'd be willing to bet our lucky penny that both front- and all-wheel drive models will be available. Chances are that power will come from the same 3.6-liter V6 found under the hood of every other Lambda out there, too.

It's hard not to approach this with a cynical eye. Right after the company's 2009 bankruptcy blitzkrieg, GM promised the world that it was through with badge engineering for good. Swapping nameplates and fenders had done much to lead the company to the brink of collapse, and the waves of fresh new models hitting our shores had us thinking that maybe the company had turned over a new leaf.

By all accounts, the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave are selling well, so is this a case of Detroit getting greedy or is the company simply trying to spread development costs as this as possible? Either way, it will take something really special to convince us that this is a smart move.

[Source: InsideLine]Report: Cadillac to get seven-seat Lambda variant originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 27 May 2010 11:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: Cadillac News: Report: Cadillac to get seven-seat Lambda variant

I understand where they're coming from and why this could be seen as bad news - but I don't see why Cadillac shouldn't have a vehicle to compete with something like the Lexus GX and it's competitors. Why not? Something bigger than the small (my opinion) SRX and smaller than the large Escalade..
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Yeah, well if that's all it is, I'll be surprised. I'm sure that this is Gov't. Motors' way of getting rid of the evil 'Lade...so they can appease their Green-nik owners...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I agree, this is a step towards the deletion of the Escalade. What does Cadillac have in the works to differentiate this SUV from the Buick? New tailights/headlights and the A&S theme wont be enough. A few technododads wont make a definitive Cadillac. Cadillac shouldnt rebadge generic GM products anymore, especially as you move up the price range. Cadillac is suppose to be the pinnacle of the GM lineup... Cadillac needs to build its image, and rebadging is not a good step...

Yeah, it's not like there'll be a V8 to go in it....FAIL.
    NOW

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

If this is a plan to move the Escalade out of the picture, than I don't like it either.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

I have no problem w/them making a Lambda Cadillac, as the SRX is too small. I'd never get one of those, plus it doesn't have the 3.6DI. Even if they only could go w/the 3.6DI for the Lambda (I mean, XTS, hello....) that wouldn't be so bad. However, only if the Escalade were still in the picture.

The platform sharing really isn't a problem for me. I love the Enclave and hate the Traverse and Acadia....I'm sure the Cadillac version would be even nicer than the Enclave.

Alternative = good; replacement = fail...
    NOW

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    If this is a plan to move the Escalade out of the picture, than I don't like it either.
    Sales will dictate that. I like the anti-green persona of the Escalade, but the more frugal, car-based, platforms can be a real winner for those who may like the Escalade but want to maybe be a wee bit more responsible. I think it's a good idea...

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

With impending CAFE legislation requirements creeping up, it makes little sense for GM to maintain three separate full sized, truck chassis Escalade models. Chances are that the Lambda model will become the standard Escalade, and be sold to the urban commuters, soccer moms and grocery store runners who will appreciate the flat folding 3rd seats and better fuel economy that the current Escalade lacks. It will also likely have technology missing on the current Escalade such as push-button start and HDD music storage.

For those who need a V8, AWD and 7,500lb towing capacity, we'll probably see the current GMT900 based Escalade ESV soldier on for a while. For the majority of Escalade buyers though, a more advanced chassis with better space and fuel economy makes sense.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

jrosevear is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V raven

I probably wouldn't own an Escalade -- if I wanted a Tahoe or Suburban I'd get a GMC instead -- but I could see getting one of these as a kid-hauler.

That said, I don't see them discontinuing the Escalade entirely -- the profit margins on that thing are HUGE.

Tony. Is there an article that goes along with the pictures you posted up? I like the way that SUV looks.. And I agree with the possibility of simply having one large SUV with the ESV and the rest being smaller. But what about the EXT? Does it sell enough to justify sticking around? I rarely see one. I do see ESVs, however..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.