Ultra-Luxury Cadillac News
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Ultra-Luxury Cadillac News in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; WORLD CONGRESS: Cherry mum on successor By Richard Truett Automotive News / January 20, 2003 If Cadillac makes a move ...
    HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Ultra-Luxury Cadillac News

WORLD CONGRESS: Cherry mum on successor

By Richard Truett
    Automotive News / January 20, 2003

If Cadillac makes a move into the ultraluxury market to compete with Rolls-Royce, Maybach and Bentley, the styling is likely to be radically different from the look of the new generation of Cadillacs, said Wayne Cherry, General Motors' vice president of design.

The Cadillac Sixteen concept sedan, introduced at this month's Detroit auto show, retains some of the edgy, angular look of the CTS, XLR, SRX and other new-generation Cadillacs. But the long, sleek car blends sharp lines with curvaceous fenders and is powered by a Cadillac-only engine: a 1,000-hp V-16.

"We wanted to do an aspirational vehicle for Cadillac," Cherry told the Automotive News World Congress. "We didn't want it to be just a more luxurious version of the current product line that is rolling out. We wanted to really create a classic in the modern sense, a contemporary design that would have the presence those coach-built Cadillacs in the 1930s had."

Cherry, who is scheduled to retire in September, said the look of the Cadillac Sixteen does not signal a change in styling for Cadillac.

"We feel it is still very much in line with the Cadillac design philosophy," he said. "But we've just captured some of the essence of those wonderful coach-built classic vehicles of the '30s. We feel we have achieved that in a very contemporary way."

On other topics, Cherry said GM has decided who will succeed him as vice president of design, but he declined to name his successor. Candidates at GM are believed to include Ed Welburn, executive director for body-on-frame vehicles; Anne Asensio, executive director for interiors; and Bryan Nesbitt, executive director for unibody vehicles. Cherry is only the fifth man to hold the position of vice president of design since the position was created in 1927.

Asked to look back at his career and pick one vehicle to do over, or not at all, Cherry named the odd-looking Pontiac Aztek. "The Aztek has taken a lot of heat," Cherry said. "All I can say about Aztek is that it was a super concept. Conceptually, it was extraordinary. But the design solution was less successful."

Cherry said he won't coast until his retirement. He said his major task for 2003 includes preparing the 2004 concept cars. After he steps down, Cherry said he may restore a 1955 Chevrolet, the car he drove to the GM design center on his first day of work in 1962.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Thanks for the info.. Where did you find it?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Well ok, if you promise not to tell anyone else...

Automotive News

Hehe. Cool. Thank you!

I guess this car would compete directly with the Machbach 57. Right? Have you seen pictures of that car? Un-freaking-believable.. What the heck is a Mayback? I've never even heard of it. It is beautiful...

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    I guess this car would compete directly with the Machbach 57. Right? Have you seen pictures of that car? Un-freaking-believable.. What the heck is a Mayback? I've never even heard of it. It is beautiful...
    it's super luxury maker back in 20s in germany irc

It will be awesome if they did get into the superluxo with sixteen. Not only will it let cadillac have more market but it will bring the entire brand name up one level in terms of luxury.

Maybe Cadillac will call the Sixteen, "LaSalle".. That would be interesting.. Someone else mentioned this so it wasn't my idea. But, if Maybach has been brought back by Mercedes Benz, this would be a cool idea..

But.. Look what Cadillac would have to compete against:

Maybach pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...Benz%20S-Class

The interior is just unbelieable...

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    Maybe Cadillac will call the Sixteen, "LaSalle"..
    The problem with that is that the LaSalle, was the poor mans Cadillac. It is the V12 and V16 Cadillac's that are still highly sought after and command top dollar, not LaSalle.

Plus, the low end Cadillac models could use the image boost that a high end model would generate. Mercedes (and BMW with the Rolls Royce name purchase) didn't need an image boost.

Now, if they were going to do something like that, then buying the rights to the Packard or Duesenburg name would be the way to do it.

But GM needs to fix Cadillac's global image, and using any other name won't help them do that.

Good points... Image is very important right now. I think Cadillac is working hard to please the European market...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.