Cadillac DT7 May Be Canceled - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Cadillac DT7 May Be Canceled in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; While the STS is definitely gone, the DTS will likely live on (past the life of the Northstar) with the ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: Cadillac DT7 May Be Canceled

While the STS is definitely gone, the DTS will likely live on (past the life of the Northstar) with the direct injected V6 used in the CTS. GM feels that bringing out a new large sedan doesnt fit what they perceive the market will want in the next decade. For now, mid-size is the new full-size.. At least in America..

On another note, the twin turbo v6 has also been delayed or canceled...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

DTS should live but GM should make it RWD or AWD . I would like to see Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham back in the flag ship but it's like a "chateaux en espagne "

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Given the MPG advantages of FWD and the preference of most of the driving population for FWD, Cadillac should stick with a FWD (or FWD/AWD) configuration for their large car. They should continue their RWD / AWD offering for the CTS which appeals more toward driving enthusiasts.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Looking over on the GMI boards is the depressing truth about Cadillac... we now have a Hyundai that beats the Caddy DTS in both performance, luxury, and price. The STS hasn't been competitive in years. The SRX hasn't been a hot seller, and the Escalade's have been cramming my dealers lots for months. The XLR is a dud, and just doing a refresh without adding any power doesn't help. The only bright spot is CTS; but after the initial introduction, they are starring to clog my lots.

The rumored DT7 cancellation is the final nail in the coffin. Cadillac is lookng quite bleak right now; and it really kills me. The once proud symbol of wealth and success in this country now belongs to Mercedes Benz, Lexus, and BMW. I ****ing hate that.

Cadillac is my favorite brand ever. Yet, the future looks so bleak I might have to move on to another.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

I'll wait and watch for some official word. I'm not looking to do anything for a couple of years anyway.

AMGoff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '03 Seville STS, '89 Eldorado, '89 Grand Wagoneer

GMInsideNews is definitely stirring up trouble... they're stating "rumors" of the Zeta Cadillac (DT7, DTS/STS replacement, etc...) being cancelled. However... I've only seen two other sites mentioning this - One which was basically quoting GMI and the other was the article posted by Sal last month... Other than those, I've seen nothing that even remotely confirms this.

So just out of curiosity Sal, what was your source for this information?

We all realize that GM has made some dumb moves in the past.... but I really can't even begin to fathom this move for one main reason. That being, GM doesn't have all that many brands with significant momentum and Cadillac is one of them. They've made all this fuss about being taken seriously in the luxury market... only to abandon their plans for a true flagship? Sure, they might be strapped for cash at the moment and trying to (foolishly) put all their eggs in the small car basket, but I really don't see how canceling this program would save them that much cash... The Zeta platform has already been developed... they already have more than enough engine options... and I'm sure they have exterior designs well underway, so all they need to do is stamp some sheetmetal and sew up some cowhide.

Either way... you've got to spend money to make money. If they really need to free up some fund for the division, then cancel the XLR - A.) It was a foolish entry at a time when they needed to focus elsewhere in their lineup, and B.) It's certainly the most expendable model currently in the lineup.

Docray1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The "DT7" has not been officially cancelled. It has, however, been delayed again for a minimum of 3 months and - if it gets approved - wont arrive before a 2014 model year introduction. What HAS been cancelled however is the V8 version, the twin turbo V6 and hybrid motors that were part of the product plan. Take those away, and what you have left is a big V6 sedan that simply wont have a whole lot of impact in the market. That is why speculation is rampant that it will, indeed, be cancelled. And rightly so.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

I cant see how they would make a car larger than the STS with only a V6. that doesnt make any sense at all to me.

Some notes as I read around the internet..... If the STS/DTS replacement were NOT sidelined, it would take nearly 3 years to bring it to production. Even worse, insiders say the projected has been abandoned altogether. Understandably, Cadillac is waiting to see when the market for large, premium sedans will rebound which, unfortunately, will leave them farther behind. This "wait and see" approach makes GM appear as a follower in the industry - not a leader. I don't believe this segment is going anywhere - there will always be plenty of wealthy people to buy a expensive Cadillacs. Building this car is a risk I feel GM should take. When the market for large, premium sedans rebounds, the current players won't be rushing an already antiquated product to the marketplace - they'll be there with the best they have to offer.

What Cadillac is doing is considering focusing attention (and funds) on a small "Alpha" sedan - the BTS - and Crossovers. While this very well could be the right move for Cadillac and GM, I'm uneasy about Cadillac focusing more on volume (BTS) than prestige (DT7). Prestige is what separates Cadillac from Chevrolet.

The Detroit Free Press has a new article on some of this today...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

PAULSTSMAN1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 CADILLAC STS

Cool Re: Cadillac DT7 May Be Canceled

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Understandably, Cadillac is waiting to see when the market for large, premium sedans will rebound which, unfortunately, will leave them farther behind. This "wait and see" approach makes GM appear as a follower in the industry - not a leader. I don't believe this segment is going anywhere - there will always be plenty of wealthy people to buy a expensive Cadillacs. Building this car is a risk I feel GM should take.
    Cadillac would be taking a calculated risk, and based upon overall model sales, a good risk if they brought a new DTS to market. The only issue I see is the 2014 production time, much too late! The DTS replacement should have come in 2008, with the new CTS introduction, Cadillac Dealers would have been swamped with buyers!

The Alpha focus is wrong, this should be the focus of Buick! It is an Acura/Infiniti countermeasure, not aimed at Bentley and Mercedes Benz (the current holder of the "Standard of the World" title). What GM needs is some new blood in the decision making arena. The old and tired chief execs are just waiting for the "Golden Parachutes," not more mountain conquering.

Unfortunately for us, this wait and see attitude couldn't have come at a worse time, Cadillac is in it's death throws, and if not resuscitated soon, will be DOA, similar to Pontiac and GMC.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

If the Escalade doesn't sell for economy reasons, neither will a full size Cadillac sedan. MB is the standard of the world like Britney Spears is the greatest singer ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    If the Escalade doesn't sell for economy reasons, neither will a full size Cadillac sedan. MB is the standard of the world like Britney Spears is the greatest singer ever.
    I disagree. There's a difference. Full-size SUVs are becoming worthless. Some dealers give you next to nothing for them as a trade in - some dealers won't accept them AT ALL. That's not the case with full-size luxury sedans like the current DTS.

PAULSTSMAN1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 CADILLAC STS

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Jesda:

I don't get the "Britney" comparo, she not that great a singer, but she has a World Class following as an entertainer and makes the bucks to verify it. The Mercedes Benz S-Class has a Worldwide reputation for excellence, similar to what Cadillac had in the 1950's. Mercedes Benz, has every area covered and is constantly raising the automotive bar on it's products, the company is proactive (strong) not reactive (passive). If you don't understand the difference, "change your pants."

BTW, here on the West Coast, Escalades still sell, however for the marginally funded (those that must qualify for Credit, there may be a slowdown, this is another totally unrelated issue.) Credit and Finance will continue to be a problem for the foreseeable future as the sources for borrowing are drying up. However most of the DTS traditional customers, are into cash, call your local Cadillac Dealer to verify.

Newmonarch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

American dream is starting to finish because of gasoline prices, and the bad thing is, still I dont have any cadillac with big displacement. BUT, Cadillac can raise again in the sector, like 60's-70's. They had got the technology in that year, and now they MUST put more money on research&development departmants. America is bigger than Germany, 10 times maybe in economy, and its absurd that which country that can go space, build lots of planes, ships, computers and cannot do a car...Its bullshit...GM is deciding wrong...Very very wrong, they should have built big sedans, and also they should stop to hope to raise Gm with Cadillac sales, it is impossible, they should do this with Chevrolet, Buick etc. or open marque that they discontinued in the past and lay it to the world, make it become a world company but not Cadillac, Cadillac MUST be PRİVATE for USA. Cadillac has got a style, a very different style and they started to waste it making cars like BLS with manual transmission ( Which company that invites automatic transmission in 1940's, damn to European cars!!! )

lacmang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood Brougham, 66 Fleetwood

Why doesn't Cadillac just make big car thats a hybrid? than Everybody would be happy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.