About the name of deville replacement?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, About the name of deville replacement? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Following passage is from another site. -------Following------------ GM Poised For Lutz Era Product guru's influence to shine first in '05 ...
    partton is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question About the name of deville replacement?

Following passage is from another site.

-------Following------------
    GM Poised For Lutz Era
    Product guru's influence to shine first in '05 Regal, then in many '06 intros
    Automotive News

By Dave Guilford
    August 04, 2003

DeVille, DTS: GM will appeal to security-minded buyers with an armored DeVille sedan for the 2004 model year.
    The DeVille will be restyled and re-engineered for the 2006 model year, retaining fwd to appeal to traditional Cadillac drivers. Cadillac will drop the DeVille name at that time, opting for DTS.

GM is expected to redesign the DTS at the end of the decade and adopt rear drive.

----------------------------
    The new name I expected was XTS or S?S.
    But this says it's gonna be DTS.
    This means that they make D-series plus the present C-,S- and X- series.
    I hate this idea because it breaks the hierarchy just built in the caddy line-up.
    BMW has 3,5 and 7.
    Mercedes has C, E and S.
    But Caddy has some strange D together with C, S, X line-up.

If you have any other information than this, please show me!

Thank you!
    Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lowscola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS

Re: About the name of deville replacement?

The structure still seems to be there:

Sedans: three tier
    D - luxury
    S - performace luxury
    C - midsize/compact preformance luxury

Sports
    X

Suvs
    S - midsize luxury performance suv
    E - large luxury suv

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

I hate it. I hate it all. I can't support the destruction of their namesake cars. As a nonconformist type of person I cant support Cadillac trying to be like BMW and Mercedes Benz.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I agree, and I HATE it too!! One-By-One-By-One they have retired every well-known (around the world, I might ad) famous Cadillac name. Names that they spent fortunes on in advertising & market posistioning.

Last:
    Allante: 1993
    Sixty Special: 1993
    Fleetwood: 1996 -or- 1999 (from Superior)
    Seville: 2004
    Eldorado: 2003
    Catera: 2002
    Coupe deVille: 1993

Now, it all looks like Alphabet Soup

All I can say is I've still got Lincoln. They're actually reviving one of their namesake cars. Maybe even two if they bring back the Mark series.

CoupeDevilleRob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1983 Coupe deVille

Cadillac should definately leave the Deville name alone. Deville is one of the most recognizable car names, not to mention the longest running. Doing away with the Deville name would be like Chevy getting rid of Corvette, or Honda getting rid of Civic. Everybody knows a Deville is a Cadillac. It would also kill all hopes of the Coupe Deville coming back. Caddy will lose so much respect from its loyalists if they do away with Deville.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

I dont find it confusing at all, if you want to talk about a jumble look at mercedes. you stated they have C,E, and S. Actually they have:

C
    CL
    CLK
    S
    SL
    SLK
    SLR
    M
    G
    E

In Europe they have an A, which will be transformed into the B when it comes here as a crossover. Oh lets not forget the GST....oh, and the CLS which should be here in around 18 months or so.

More models means more names, thats the bottom line

Those are all different models. C and CL have nothing to do with one another etc.

The name XTS may very well be used on the rumored ultra lux Cadillac.

oh and BMW doesnt have 3,5,7 They have

X

and they will be joined shortly by a 4-series and europe already has a 1-series

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    I dont find it confusing at all
    It's not that it's confusing, it's that Cadillac is forgetting it's roots. As CDVRob mentioned before, it's like Chevy getting rid of the name Corvette. If Ford renamed the Mustang the MSC (M-Series Sport Coupe), or back in the day if Dodge called the Charger the CPC (C-Series Performance Coupe) would they be memorable at all? Hell I like Mercedes cars, some look real sharp but hell if I remember what they're called.

In my opinion, part of a car's greatness is it's name. A Mustang is a pony, small, fast, and graceful much like the car. The Charger, a ram, bull, whatever charges furiously and fearsomely, much like the Dodge Charger. The Buick Regal, regal is a term that relates to royalty and the fine.

Cadillac's names aren't very furious but they defined the name of luxury from 1903 to the day the first Cadillac had it's name butchered into an acronym. A lot of car companies now are building retros and bringing back names that have been lost in the sands of time. The rebirths of the GTO, Thunderbird, Zephyr, and Chevy's concept Bel-Air are appealing to those who remember watching their chromed out big bodied ancestors rolling down their streets back in a past where gas was $.69 a gallon, candy was a nickel, and where a car was a car!

Thank you and good night!
    *Bows*

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

S
    C
    R
    E
    W

W
    H
    A
    T

M
    B

&

B
    M
    W

D
    O

I dont mind the new scheme, it brings it in line with all the other luxury manufacturers. not just MB and BMW, but also Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, Audi. If thats what it takes to get more people in the showroom, i guess its a necessary evil.

I already wrote something heartfelt and emotional so......

Booooooooooooooo! *Hurls tomatoes* LOL!

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

*takes the CTS logo off a wrecked CTS and slaps it on the Catera*

Rut Roh Rorge!

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

I agree that getting rid of their only traditional name will be horrible.... I can only hope that the dealer that do their Vogue Treatment to the cars continue to apply Deville logos throught the car, I know I would.

At least Lincoln isnt selling out, Zephyr and Continental will be back, so will the Mark and the Town Car is sticking around for a while too.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

While nameplates like DeVille (and certainly the now-defunct Eldorado) are instant recognition as a Cadillac, moreso than CTS or STS, they are also synonymous with sub-standard reliability, floaty boat-like handling, and in so many words, your grandfather's car.

I am among the new generation of Cadillac enthusiasts...... those who would have never even looked at a Cadillac 3 years ago, but now am planning to buy a CTS 6 speed 3.6. In case you haven't noticed, the CTS is outselling even GM's typically overstated sales goals (they were planning on selling 25,000 CTS models per year, and as of May this year they already achieved that!)

I have to say I like the simple, 3 letter designations. Direct, to the point, and you know what car they are talking about - CTS means performance luxury and sporty handling, STS means classy luxury and elegnace, and XLR means 2 seat roadster, baby!

I guess that's the dividing line Cadillac has created, but it's something they had to do. If they kept selling big land barges that look like boxes and feel like sofas on wheels, they would have continued to loose sales to BMW, Mercedes Benz, and even Acura and Lexus. This was something Cadillac had to do, they did, and it's working.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.