About the name of deville replacement? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, About the name of deville replacement? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I don't think Cadillac should forego tradition. Without your roots, you're nothing. That was the nice thing about the company, ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: About the name of deville replacement?

I don't think Cadillac should forego tradition. Without your roots, you're nothing. That was the nice thing about the company, namely, for decades those names were there and became respected and known. If my Grandpa had a Fleetwood in the 1950's, I think its great If could buy one now. I also don't think the recent success of the Cadillac brand is mainly due to changing new models names to numbers, etc. It's (partly) because the CTS is a good BMW fighter, for example, and the quality of the overall brand has improved drastically. I think they did good with the CTS, and the public loves it, however, I for one prefer names over numbers. Names are easier for older people to remember and they may not get confused with others. If every other car company jumps in the lake, why should Cadillac? What is so special about our generation that would make a traditional car company almost completely change everything to be a MB or BMW wannabe. It's got to be sales, for $$$$$$$$$.

I guess I like tradition also, but some equate "the numbers game" as the equivalent of "selling your soul" to merely become popular. I think it's fine to add new models, but keep the names.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    What is so special about our generation that would make a traditional car company almost completely change everything to be a MB or BMW wannabe. It's got to be sales, for $$$$$$$$$.

I guess I like tradition also, but some equate "the numbers game" as the equivalent of "selling your soul" to merely become popular. I think it's fine to add new models, but keep the names.

You are 100% correct. It is about the sales and the dollar. Because if the trend continued as it has the last 10 years, Cadillac would eventually have dissappeared. Gone bye-bye. Would you rather that have happened?

BTW, what would you call the CTS? Catera? Catera Touring Sedan? That would look too crowded and busy on the decklid. CTS and the wreath and crest is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by fastball
    You are 100% correct. It is about the sales and the dollar. Because if the trend continued as it has the last 10 years, Cadillac would eventually have dissappeared. Gone bye-bye. Would you rather that have happened?

BTW, what would you call the CTS? Catera? Catera Touring Sedan? That would look too crowded and busy on the decklid. CTS and the wreath and crest is all you need.
    I know, I guess they had to play with the names, etc. to help survive but it's a little hard to swallow for some. They are trying to re-invent the brand to a degree, but I would at least like a "Deville" to remain. I think if they brought back a full-sized rwd FLEETWOOD, it would be the talk of the auto news world.

About names, I'll have to think about a name for the CTS. Look at Lincoln going with the name "Zepher." Personally, I don't equate "Zepher" with quality, or luxury, and certainly NOT Lincoln. I think of the crappy Mercury cars by that name. So we will have to see if the "old" name hurts the Lincoln brand. If it doesn't, perhaps they could have named the CTS the "Catera 2" or something?

One thing I'm sure of, Ford won't rename a new model the "Pinto." I hope!

Because if the trend continued as it has the last 10 years, Cadillac would eventually have dissappeared.
    Actually I would have thought there would have been enough Baby Boomers retiring in the next couple of years to keep the old "ways" profitable? I think the reputation of the 1980's Caddies hurt the brand name more than anything, not to mention many luxury buyers today want the "quality" of a luxury Lexus. That doesn't help either, but Cadillac certainly has appealed to younger buyers and I guess that's something they had to (gulp) do.

Fall quarter of last year, Cadillac had their best sales quarter since 1989! The world's most respected auto magazines (R&T and C&D) have said that the CTS is quite possibly the car that saved Cadillac.

Pretty strong statement if you ask me.

lacmang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood Brougham, 66 Fleetwood

Calling a Catera a CTS is fine the name Catera hasn't been around for over 50 years. I'm mainly just concerned about Deville, or the Eldorado also if it had lasted. The classic names I don't think Classic names would make a potential buyer who liked the design not buy it.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

But...Lincoln Town Car & LS and Cadillac deVille & Seville outsold all foreign makes models, added together up to & including those priced at or under $55,000 last year (2003). So, there are ALOT of buyers who still like the big, soft, cushy car. They outsold the BMW 3 & 5 and the M-B C & E class, as well as all Saabs & Volvos and the Acura RS, as well all Jaguars. That's alot of buyers. Look, just on this site, how many 16-30 year olds are driveing deVilles! I feel that anyone who has ever been in a fairly bad car accident, and possibly sustained some amount of injury, would not want to be in a 3-series or a C-Class doing 65MPH on the freeway when the worst thing that could happen.....happens! I think they rather be in a Fleetwood or a Town Car. I know I would

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    But...Lincoln Town Car & LS and Cadillac deVille & Seville outsold all foreign makes models, added together up to & including those priced at or under $55,000 last year (2003). So, there are ALOT of buyers who still like the big, soft, cushy car. They outsold the BMW 3 & 5 and the M-B C & E class, as well as all Saabs & Volvos and the Acura RS, as well all Jaguars. That's alot of buyers. Look, just on this site, how many 16-30 year olds are driveing deVilles! I feel that anyone who has ever been in a fairly bad car accident, and possibly sustained some amount of injury, would not want to be in a 3-series or a C-Class doing 65MPH on the freeway when the worst thing that could happen.....happens! I think they rather be in a Fleetwood or a Town Car. I know I would
    My uncle is an EMS/firerfighter. I can't tell you how many accidents he's responded to with people in BMWs, MBs, and Hondas (yes, all Hondas) that the people have litteraly walked away from. That doesn't always happen with Cadillacs or Lincolns, contrary to popular belief.

Mercedes has a video from the Autobahn surveylance which they use to tout their safety record...... a guy in a 500SL convertable doing about 120 mph was drunk, lost control, flipped the car in the ditch, and walked away..... he was not wearing his seatbelt, and the roof was DOWN! (All Mercedes convertables have a rather large and heavy bar which flips out of behind the seat headrests within .5 seconds which shields the passenger compartment when it senses abnormal yaw and pitch movement)

Mercedes, BMWs, and Audis are about the safest cars on the planet. BMW and Honda are the only automakers without a single airbag recall in their history.

Large cars do not = safer. Safety is engineered. If you take a physics class, you would learn how impact zones, and strategically designed materials and the placement of those materials can make a car very safe. It doesn't matter if the car looks demolished after the accident (which a well designed car will be totalled in a severe accident).

BMW and Honda are the only automakers without a single airbag recall in their history.

Large cars do not = safer. Safety is engineered. If you take a physics class, you would learn how impact zones, and strategically designed materials and the placement of those materials can make a car very safe. It doesn't matter if the car looks demolished after the accident (which a well designed car will be totalled in a severe accident).
    I don't know about the BMW's in the U.S. but two years ago here the M3's were recalled for faulty airbags. How I know this, my dentist friend (who also owns an S2000) got the recall notice and he was scared that hitting a bump would set it off. It was also on CBC News.

About safety, the NHTSA, Edmunds, and just about every news story on TV would seem to disagree with you. They refer to a heavier car as being safer because of simple physics. Yes, small cars are safer now because of technology, but put that technology into larger cars today, and who will win a head on collision. The Volvo S80 is all 5 stars because of this, and my bet for safest car on the planet. The S60 (smaller) is no longer 5 stars the last time I checked. I'll drive my Grand Marquis into your Honda and we'll see who walks away. I've also read that smaller cars' crumple zones are fine for a single impact, however if you are involved in a chain reaction multiple car "pile-up" on the highway, you'd better hope you got some more metal surrounding you because larger cars supposedly do better in multiple hits after the crumple zones are spent.

Swangin-&-Bangin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DTS

I donít see a problem with changing the names. However I am part of the younger (24 years old) group that into Cadillacís. I can't think of a time I have ever describe my car as "Deville". I always say DTS.. And when people refer to my car they refer to it as a DTS, not Deville. In my circle of peers, itís more of an insult to call a persons car a Deville if it is a DTS... A person owning a DTS will correct you very fast if you refer to there vehicle as a Deville.. My peers think that DTS is prestigious, & highly sought out of. Even in the rap music, very seldom will you here them say Deville, they usually now say DTS.. The word "Deville" is now associated with the base model / rental car model...

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

what song says DTS? on the new Young Buck cd track no. 5 he says "gold grilles, Coupe DEVILLES sittin on 22s...." i know hes talking about the older Devilles but i havent heard any rapper refer to their car as DTS. and most rappers talk about Escalades. Youngbloodz talk about Devilles and Fleetwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by 93fleetwoodlowlow
    what song says DTS? on the new Young Buck cd track no. 5 he says "gold grilles, Coupe DEVILLES sittin on 22s...." i know hes talking about the older Devilles but i havent heard any rapper refer to their car as DTS. and most rappers talk about Escalades. Youngbloodz talk about Devilles and Fleetwoods.

It was Nappy Roots.

Maybe the 3 rap songs you heard did but, Deville is much more used in RAP. Especially "Coupe DeVille". In some Coupe DeVilles are more respected.
    Maybe Cadillac should make a new Coupe Deville.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Swangin-&-Bangin
    I donít see a problem with changing the names. However I am part of the younger (24 years old) group that into Cadillacís. I can't think of a time I have ever describe my car as "Deville". I always say DTS.. And when people refer to my car they refer to it as a DTS, not Deville. In my circle of peers, itís more of an insult to call a persons car a Deville if it is a DTS... A person owning a DTS will correct you very fast if you refer to there vehicle as a Deville.. My peers think that DTS is prestigious, & highly sought out of. Even in the rap music, very seldom will you here them say Deville, they usually now say DTS.. The word "Deville" is now associated with the base model / rental car model...
    even though ive never heard dts in a rap song, i totally agree. ive always thought of deville as the base rental model. me, all my freinds always refered to my car as a DTS. DTS has always been looked at as higher than a deville.

Swangin-&-Bangin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by 93fleetwoodlowlow
    Slim Thug, & Mike Jone just to name a few. I listen to more underground southern rap.. Usually when talking about the the current model deville they say DTS... DTS distugishes the men from the boys, the want to be ballers from the real ballers... For example.. A guy could have a base model Deville with $10,000 of aftermarket stuff on it.. And I could come through with a all factory DTS on Vogues and he will automatically fall to second place... People who know what cadillacs are about won't care how much money he has put into it,, all they see is a rental car. It might not be like that where you are from, but where i'm from if you rolling deville and it not dts, you not rolling..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.