About the name of deville replacement? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, About the name of deville replacement? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hahahaha Sandy! Hey this is fun. Infiniti! Q QX M FX G I Acura! MDX RSX TSX SLX NSX EL ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: About the name of deville replacement?

Hahahaha Sandy!

Hey this is fun. Infiniti!
    Q
    QX
    M
    FX
    G
    I

Acura!
    MDX
    RSX
    TSX
    SLX
    NSX
    EL (Canada)
    TL
    CL

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

To me.......
    To me, the Cadillac designations are too confusing, and do not (to my brain) follow suit. I'll try to show by way of example:

Audi: A4 A6 A8
    BMW: 3, 5 & 7 Series
    M-B: C, E, & S Class
    Lexus: ES GS LS
    Infiniti: G35 - I35 - M45 - Q45
    SAAB: 9.3 - 9.5
    Volvo: S40 - S60 - S80

By comparasion, Caddy seems to me to be all over the place.
    To me it just seems like when people used to change their name
    to fit into a club, group, country club where they were not
    allowed into. 'Ya know, the Cohens became the Collins, and the
    Ippalitos became the Hamiltons.

To me the CTS is the Catera, the XLR is the Allante, the STS is the
    Seville and the forthcoming DTS is the deVille. It's just a name,
    and like people, a name can be changed. As for older people
    (those over 60) I see them driving a wide spectrum of 4-door sedans.
    Many dodge Intrepids, Mercury Grand Marquis, DeVilles & Town Cars,
    Buick LeSabres & Park Avenues and Chrysler Concordes. Not too
    many Pontiacs or Chevrolets. Also Crown Vics and many Toyota
    Avalons & Camrys.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    the XLR is the Allante, the STS is the
    Seville

An XLR will run circles around even the best '93 brand new Allantes with the Northstar engine, and the STS would to the same to a Seville.

Keep in mind, the XLR is based on the C6 chasis, so not only does it handle like it's on rails and accelerate like a 2 seat roadster should, it's rear wheel drive.

And some still wonder why the Allante never sold against a Mercedes 500SL?

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

i dont understand the problem here...for the last few years the Seville has been refered to as an STS. Dealerships, peopel who own them, ive never heard them refer to it as a Seville...IT SAYS STS ON THE REAR. same with the DTS...we all kno its a deville...why are people so confused???? DHS AND DTS dont say deville anywhere on them...people act like this is something new, its been around for the past few years.

Old habits die hard. To be honest, I think people are just so shocked at the dramatic design shift GM is undertaking that they are taking it out on the nameplates .

If I were in their shoes, I'd be more upset that I couldn't get a full front bench seat anymore.

Now that you mention it.........

Chrysler Concorde & Dodge Intrepid
    Ford Crown Vic & Merc Gr. Marquis
    Lincoln Town Car
    Pontiac Bonneville
    Chevrolet Impala
    Buick LeSabre
    Buick Park Avenue
    Toyota Avalon

and others.....
    Yes, I have it in both the Caddy & the Town Car

I meant specifically Cadillac only.......

And Bonneville comes only buckets and console for '04.

I must admit the GXP with the Northstar is a very solid car...... the best Bonnie ever. I drove one at the Auto Show in Motion last week, and I was very impressed.

'Ya, I've been crazy about that GXP Bonnie since I first saw it. THAT'S a REALLY nice car !!! There's a deep blue one I see in this town like once a week or so. Sweet car!!

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

hey now , one of the most exiciteing cars ive ever driven had a bench seat ...but it had over 400 cubes,bias tyres and was 30+ years old

Im warning everyone , go out on a date with a fine woman and a bench seat while you can ....

AHH the good old days when you didnt have to worry about your date poping the tranny in nutral ...welcome to the new world , political corectness now mandates you have plastic leather and critical levers between you and your significant other

dont get me wrong i like my performace cars with big side bolterd buckets , tall consoles, console mounted parking brakes, and snick-snick shifters ...but gimme a bench for my daily driver , in fact gimme my caddy

and im only 23 !

lacmang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood Brougham, 66 Fleetwood

Angry Re: About the name of deville replacement?

Its a shame Cadillac is selling out all of they're traditions. If I had the money to buy a Deville, I would demand it say Deville on it no matter what package I got. I thought Cadillac was supposed to innovative not a follower to foreign car companys. The funny thing about it is I can never remember the names of all the models with nothing but letters in them. The only new names I can remember off top is Deville and Escalade, and STS,I still call the STS a seville. I'm not really into new cars anyways they're cheaply made and don't have half the style of classics. Thats how I feel and I'm only 22 years old.

But a CTS will run circles around a DeVille, and it only has a 3.6 liter V6. Not only that, but if you actually sit in a CTS and touch and compare the fit, finnish, and quality between it (and the new STS) and a DeVille (or old STS), it's like night and day. The new Cadillacs are in fact better made, faster, tighter, and in my opinion look better than the old ones. Hell, the new STS is already getting accolades from people and they are saying it's hands down a better vehicle than the BMW 545i. The truth of the matter is your Cadillac nameplate, the one you know and love, would cease to exist if they didn't make drastic, polarizing changes. Because for every one of you who yearn for the big tanks they once made, there's 3 of me who want a tight, sophistocated, luxurious touring sedan. We're the ones who enjoy driving stick, keeping the engine revs at redline (and trust me, an engine built like the 3.6 is designed to play all day at 6000 rpm, whereas you try that in a DeVille and you're gonna blow off the valve covers!), and driving through the twisties. That's what the essence of driving is all about.

I could never drive an automatic. Never have, never will.

68CoupeDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think this thread is pretty interesting.

GM had to know that Cadillac purists would rue the day that the old name plates went dodo. But they also knew that in order to capture new, younger buyers (of the not already Cadillac loving sort) they would have to create a totally new image. Something not easily done when all your new cars still have the same names as the previous machines that the new, younger buyers despise. Status is important to the young American buyer, perhaps above all else. And the statuses of "Eldorado" and "Deville" don't exactly imply hipness.

I think that's why the Deville is the last to have it's name swapped. GM knows that only traditional American Luxury purists would buy a Deville. Leave that car alone and let it move from the dealer lots to the driveways of older buyers (whether you love the Deville or not, that's who buys the most of 'em) and revamp the rest of your lineup.

When the last of the more traditional Baby Boomers have purchased their final cars (hopefully Devilles) before they retire and leave the market, then you update the last dinosaur and steam full ahead with your newly growing niche.

Sucks, but it's gotta happen. I like what Fastball said. Tradition forgotten, you have to sell what the market wants.

Believe me, I don't want to come off as an insensitive snob. I really do understand the history and panache behind the wreath and crest. I also understand that the last time Cadillac really ruled the luxury market was the 1950's. Let's just forget the imports for a second. What sort of industry leading innovations did Cadillac bring about pre-1960. Tons. All the way back to the first electrically cranked motor in 1912. Of course they had the first auto headlamp and climate control systems. I belive cruise control was first offered on 1959 Cadillacs, which also had impressive style (I think the 59's are classic, timeless, and nothing short of a Ferrari is as beautiful). And they were built better than any car in the world at that time.

Into the 1960's, however, Cadillacs were still luxurious, but stopped pushing the engineering boundaries. Innovative products relied less on gadgets and gizmos (like a tellescopic steering wheel) and more on real performance and technology. Overhead cam engines, 4 wheel independent suspensions, and proper weight ballance were already technologies available to the passenger car production segment, but Cadillac passed on that, offering heated mirrors and power trunk lid pulldown motors.

By the 80's, the directions were clear and defined. If you had (at the time) 25k to put on a car, and you cared less about driving and more about style, you bought a Cadillac. But if you had that cash but wanted to really enjoy driving and handling your car, you went to MB or BMW. Where the emphasis was on independent suspensions, 4 wheel disc ABS brakes (I should add MB had them standard on all models by 1985), tighter turning radii, overhead cams, and just a whole different dynamic of driving. The photograph I still remember to this day from Road and Track when they put the 1985 Eldorado against a Mercedes 560 SEC. In the slalom, the Eldorado pulled about 20 mph slower than the MB. But that was just half of it...... even at 20 mph slower, on one of the turns, the front inside tire was toed in till the rim scraped the pavement, and the rear outside tire was about a foot off the ground. Smoke everywhere, and the caption read simply "No camera tricks, folks."

Cadillac had glimpses of brilliance in the late 1980's and 1990's. I give them a little credit for the Allante. But again, the emphasis was on the F-14 digital instrument cluster, and not on rear wheel drive or more power under the hood. I guarantee the Allante would have been a tremendous success if they had made it rear wheel drive and added about 100 horses to it.

By the end of the 1990's Cadillacs biggest fault was not embracing rear wheel drive for the entire lineup. The cushy ride characteristics were falling out of love with most people my age as well. So as they revamp the whole linup, a name change is only necessary. Most cars in this segment are designated by either numerical, alphabetical, or a combination of both characters. And they have less name tags on the car as well. Have you noticed the CTS or new STS? Only the wreath and crest and the 3 letters are on the decklid or grille. Nothing more. Not even the word Cadillac. To me, that's impressive. Because everyone knows a Mercedes by the 3 pointed star, everyone knows a BMW by the whirling blue and white propeller, so everyone will now know a Cadillac by the wreath and crest, and the vehicle by 3 letters. Short, crisp, and to the point.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

fast , nothing you say there is false .....

You look today and BMW in large part is the "Standard of the world" it is frequnetly the unobtainble benchmark(outside "I drive") for all other automakers when it comes to driveing dynamics

I love caddys but i know good cars when i see them

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    fast , nothing you say there is false .....

You look today and BMW in large part is the "Standard of the world" it is frequnetly the unobtainble benchmark(outside "I drive") for all other automakers when it comes to driveing dynamics

I love caddys but i know good cars when i see them
    I used to drive a co-worker's 1994 325i sedan quite a bit. At 100,000 miles, that car was still tight, responsive, smooth, solid, and rattle free. You could easily do 100 mph in a straight line (which you can with a DeVille), but weaving through trafic was just as easy (quite a bit more scary with a DeVille, not that I would know )

I drove a 2003 CTS 3.2 manual last year, and I thought I was driving that 325i. That's what made me converted back to Cadillac. GM has achieved what they set out to accomplish in my book, and I'm not emarrased to say I want to own a Detroit built vehicle again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.