Cadillacs Departure From V-8's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Cadillacs Departure From V-8's in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; GM is already seeing lesser V8 demand in its luxury cars. Last year, they were under the hood of about ...
    ARTSBEST is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS

Cadillacs Departure From V-8's

GM is already seeing lesser V8 demand in its luxury cars. Last year, they were under the hood of about 26% of Cadillac STS sedans sold. This year, V8s accounted for just 17% of STS sales, according to data from Power Information Network.

That shift coincides with the introduction of GM's new V6 engine with direct fuel injection that can produce a maximum of 302 horsepower compared to 320 from the V8.

Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell cites consumer interest in the technology rather than just fuel economy difference as the main reason for the shift. The V6 gets about one mile per gallon more than the V8, according to EPA estimates.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caroutisine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Re: Cadillacs Departure From V-8's

I wish that they wouldn't have messed with the sound of their remaining V8's. Not that it's a big deal in a Cadillac, but the noise at idle and WOT was a much more traditional "V8 sound" on my 2001 SLS versus the 2005.

Another thing I noticed is that the resale value of a V8 is not much better than a V6. This makes the V8 less attractive to buyers that trade for a new car every couple of years. Especially considering the price of admission to purchase the N* in a new STS.

At least the DTS is still a V8 only Caddi...until the next generation???

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

Does Cadillac even make a v6 prior to this new rice burner like DI 3.6??????????
    I must have ignored the memo.

jey
    jey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P

Well the Catera and CTS started out with the GM 54-degree V6. Of course there was also the Cimarron. Other than that the V6 has been pretty rare in a Cadillac up until now - I think a Buick V6 was an option for the Seville in 1981-82.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

And there was the V-6 diesel they had in 1985.

megeebee is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Simon View Post
    Does Cadillac even make a v6 prior to this new rice burner like DI 3.6??????????
    I must have ignored the memo.

There was a V6 available on the Cimmaron in its later years. But the the first few years of that failed experiment saw a 1.8 Litre 4 cylinder.

In 1981-82-83, all full size Cadillacs were offered with a Buick-sourced 4.1 litre V6.

The aforementioned Olds V6 Diesel in 85 and early 86 in the new C body FWD cars.

A 6 did not appear again until the Catera of 1997.

1fstkde is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)

if cadillac departs from v-8's...well i guess i will depart from cadillac...

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

Cadillac has never designed or manufactured a V6.

Break down on there engine history.

1902-1908 1 cylinder engines
    1905-1914 4 cylinder engines
    1930-1937 12 cylinder engines
    1930-1940 16 cylinder engines
    1934-1936 8 cylinder engines (inline, La Salle only)
    1915-present V8

314 cid, 341 cid, 353 cid, 322 cid, 346 cid (some sort of tank variation to my knowledge WWII), 331 cid, 365 cid, 390 cid, 429 cid, 472 cid, 500 cid, 425 cid, 368 cid, 4100, 4500, 4900, 4.6 N*, 4.4 N*

I think I missed two in there somewhere. Oh well. These are only ones that where in a Cadillacs.

I guess the move makes sense business wise. Dropping the Northstar means that GM will only be making and developing two variations of engines in the V8 catagory (sbc and bbc). This should cut cost across the bord for them.

What makes me sad is that Cadillac will no longer be a Cadillac. The will just be rebadged somethings from across the world. Not that this is not what they where already doing but rather the nail in the coffin for a true Cadillac.

With the wide spread push of this new HF V6 that is out I guess I am not sure why people would buy a Cadillac. Nice, luxurious but you can/and will be able to get different badged cars with the same thing in the present/future and save quite a bit of money. No more orginality, seems like more slumping sells for Cadillac in the future. Reminds me of Oldsmobile in a way. Guess GM just doesn't learn things the easy way.

nickh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 sedan deville 87 coupe deville (project)

I am to lazy to google to find the technical terms but why dont they just set it up so it only uses 6 cyl. unless it needs all 8. Isn't that what the impalas do? Only on a 6 cyl/ 4cyl.?

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Cadillac isn't abandoning V8s. Don't worry.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

asrapid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Cadillac isn't abandoning V8s. Don't worry.
    They will probably just use version of next gen V ohv engine.

Mplsspyder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ok- off the wall. How about the new 4.5l turbo diesel V8? i know, but i just read the stats and thought- hmmmmm....
    Quote-
    4.5l turbodiesel with a host of fairly innovative design features. If you like diesels, this motor is a monster. And it’s very, very clean.
    First of all the, instead of putting the intake manifold inside the V (it’s a V8), we’ve reversed the airflow so that the exhaust manifold (and the turbo) are inside the V between the cylinder heads. This saves space under the hood, helping packaging, increasing efficiency, and helps on the emission front (the engine meets Tier 2, Bin 5 regulations). Of course, it will also have a state-of-the-art variable geometry turbo and high-pressure, direct-injection system.
    We’re happy with our results, especially considering the aftertreatment: 310 hp and 520 lb./ft. of torque. Combine with a 25 percent fuel economy improvement over a similarly-powered gasoline engine and we’ve got a new benchmark for powerful efficiency.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.