The Sixteen Has Been Canned
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, The Sixteen Has Been Canned in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It's a large PDF and probably not worth opening... Basically it just states that Lutz cannot go forward with the ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

The Sixteen Has Been Canned

It's a large PDF and probably not worth opening...

Basically it just states that Lutz cannot go forward with the idea because of the new gas laws possibly coming into affect.. He mentions that even if they softened up a bit and did a 750 horsepower v12 (instead of the 1000 horsepower v16), it would still be too much of a gas guzzler..

What I really don't understand is why they can't use a 7.0 liter (505 hp / 470 lb.-ft. of torque) LS7 v8 to power the car. If an Escalade is 5500lbs and does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds with a 403 horsepower 6.2L Vortec V8 with 417 lb-ft - than what's the problem? Does the Sixteen weigh more than 5500lbs? And even if it did, a hundred more horsepower would be more than enough...

I really don't get why they're not building this car...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: The Sixteen Has Been Canned

i was supposed to see the car in real life too
    damn it work had to get in the way...

oh and in answer to you ? weve be over this
    Lutz is a pri*k thats why

They're not building the Sixteen because they're not capable. It has nothing to do with the gas issue. This car would sell in such limited numbers that it wouldn't impact much anyway... What a shame...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

asrapid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

According to rumors there won't be any ls7 in near future. Also cadillac don't really need V12/and especially v16) to produce 600 + Hp.
    It would be nice if they put v12 in some luxury car in future, but i think for now V8 DOHC engines are priority.

PAULSTSMAN1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 CADILLAC STS

Cool Re: The Sixteen Has Been Canned

The problem is GM it's still too big, too many car lines, and the "in the box" Corporate thinking quotient. The Sixteen while a styling exercise could very easily be blended into a redesigned STS, by adding increased length to the front of the car (perhaps some frame modification would be necessary for more than 12 inches). Revise the interior to offer more rear seat room and removing the middle seat for true 4 passenger Luxury Cache, as per Ford Thunderbirds of the 1960's.

Engines are not really a problem as DI V6 could be rebalanced, to eliminate some of the Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH), Diesel Options exist, if not good ones, then outsource, and the new NorthStar IV Ultra should be ready within a year or so. Work on the NorthStar V V XII is complete enough to offer it a limited edition, Ultra Premium option for selected Cadillac Models this should choke some of the CAF╔ requirements. All new GM engine designs I am sure have been designed to include Variable Valve Timing (VVT), and Computer selectable cylinder cutoff. If they haven't then the technology is behind HONDA. Transmission technology could make the 6 speed dual clutches utilize more of the engine power to increase economy, also.

GM needs to think outside the Box, or it's days as a producer for anything more expensive than $40,000 is history. When a monolith like GM has to limit the price, they have to increase production, and with GM's labor cost....that means MORE RED INK. It may be time to retire some of the older thinkers, and get some of those underpaid, frustrated talent lurking around Toyota, Nissan, and Honda.

I am attaching a Abode Photo chop (from sent MonacoSS) on another website just to show that if members of the public can do this why can't GM?
    Attached Images

I like that Sixteenish-looking STS.. But it looks a little tight inside.. Maybe just a slight lengthening of the cabin.. Let me see if I have any luck with that...
    Attached Images

Personally I like the lengthened cabin, but as Bob Lutz mentioned on an Autoline Detroit Program recently; "lengthening or widening the Cabin is Major Expense." If the interior was removed and the rear cage to the trunk was redesigned rear seat room could be increased without the expensive exterior redo. Also by designating the car as a 4 passenger personal luxury vehicle, the rear seat wouldn't get that crowded.

I would like to see the roof flatten a bit, I am concerned about rear headroom. Let's keep the dialog going, maybe GM's checking in.

I agree with lengthening the rear of the cabin and squaring it off a bit more than the pictures we posted above.. The major expense of the lengthening AND widening of the cabin should be covered in the 'expensive' cost to consumer.. Isn't that a no-brainer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    I agree with lengthening the rear of the cabin and squaring it off a bit more than the pictures we posted above.. The major expense of the lengthening AND widening of the cabin should be covered in the 'expensive' cost to consumer.. Isn't that a no-brainer?
    Another factor we might consider is how expensive is expensive?. Each product has an amount of reasonable cost and this factors in to the Retail Price. However when marketing anything, if the costs becomes exorbitant, it makes the retail cost too great for the Market to Bare, then you have a "White Elephant." I believe this may explain why the XLR isn't selling better, it should have been priced at $60,000 in a normally aspirated model.

More about the XLR, while it is a great car, it has an unknown pedigree. The SL500 has 50+ years of production, and the earlier models are selling for multiple times what current ones do (especially the 300 SL Gullwing).

I will defer to Bob Lutz, based upon his experience to discuss production costs, he's certain well paid enough to know.

frombk2sc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac Escalade ESV

^^
    makes sense...

also.. if cadillac were to go forward with the Cadillac Sixteen.. but change it to a V12.. wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the name?? then it would have to be called the Cadillac Twelve... which doesn't sound as good..

guess it was a good idea to can it....

lacmang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood Brougham, 66 Fleetwood

GM and Lutz need to grow some nutz!

250motorsportz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

I think Cadillac does need to come out with a car thats along the lines of a sixteen and a RR Phantom. Cadillac should make a 4 door luxury sedan, sixteen front end, long, plenty of rear passenger space, suicide doors and options that the Phantom and Maybach offer. Should be priced at $110,000+. I know that GM won't sell as many of these as they would Escalade's, but these shall be available to those that can afford them, and those that can afford these cars should be able to feed the V10. Diesel would be nice IMO!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.