Cadillac CONFIRMED: DTS/STS to be dropped
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Cadillac CONFIRMED: DTS/STS to be dropped in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Evidently the rumors are true, according to this entry on AutoBlog, which references an Automotive News interview Cadillac's General Manager ...
    AMGoff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '03 Seville STS, '89 Eldorado, '89 Grand Wagoneer

Cadillac CONFIRMED: DTS/STS to be dropped

Evidently the rumors are true, according to this entry on AutoBlog, which references an Automotive News interview Cadillac's General Manager Jim Taylor, confirms that the DTS/STS will be merged into one model, that there will be an entry-level Cadillac, and the plans for a high-end flagship sedan are still on the table.

The post is short and I don't have a subscription to Automotive News, but that's the gist of it:

"The rumor that the Cadillac DTS and STS will be nixed has officially been confirmed in an interview with the brand's general manager, Jim Taylor. Sales of both models are down for the year, and Taylor admits that one premium-luxury sedan will be developed to compete in the segment.

In the Automotive News interview, Taylor and his superior, Troy Clarke, GM's president of North America, also confirmed that a new entry-level model, designed to slot in below the CTS, is a distinct possibility. Both execs feel that Cadillac's brand image could sustain such a vehicle, likely to be priced in the $28,00 to $32,000 range.

No time frame was given for either new model, but Mr. Taylor also mentioned that a high-end, ultra-luxury flagship is still alive and well."

Let's just hope that they don't end up calling it the "Cadillac STD"

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Re: Cadillac CONFIRMED: DTS/STS to be dropped

Replacing the DTS I agree with. Fullsize FWD is something that doesn't really fit in with today's luxury market. The STS though, I think just needed to be redone. Keep the STS so it can successfully go up against the mid sized BMWs and Benzs. The new flagship car is something I'm excited about, something of "Fleetwood-esque" stature to go up against that high end Benz whose name eludes me (driven it and it was so forgettable) and the BMW 7 series cars.......

I can't wait to see what they do with this new flagship car......

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

I wonder what drivetrain they're gonna go with, AWD possibly?

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Why an entry-level?!?!?! It's Cadillac, for craps sake...the CTS is low enough on the totem pole...

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

The new CTS is truly a worthy 5 series competitor this time around and with pricing starting at $32k and easily climbing into the mid to upper 40s for reasonably equipped versions, it really isn't "entry level" anymore...

The STS was always too large to compete with the 5 series, so them merging it with the DTS isn't surprising. If they release the BLS here as a RWD/AWD car priced at $28k to $32k, Cadillac will finally have something the small enough to seriously consider competing with the 3 series (the CTS fared well, but was always a 5 series stuck in the 3 series' price bracket). It would also be interesting to see a BLS-V with a turbo or supercharged 3.6 DI engine (400-450 hp in a compact sized car?).

Good decision on GM's part.

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Every time Cadillac has tried to low-ball an entry, they've gotten boned up the old wazoo for their troubles. Nobody expects (and particularly doesn't want) a low budget Caddy. It doesn't suit the image of Cadillac. Forget the budget car and go for the jugular with the high end model. Give us something we can sink our teeth into (Talisman Territory), only make sure you put in REAL wood, REAL leather and cut the crap with the artificial stuff. There IS a market out there for this.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

The original CTS pricing started at $28k. It's one of the all time best selling Cadillacs ever (and quite possibly responsible for saving the brand). The BMW 3 series starts in that price range and is one of the best selling near-luxury cars every year.
    The market is there.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Well, I'm glad my inclinations were spot on about this... But sad that the STS will be going. In fact just last night I was telling Jesda that after seeing all the new pictures people are posting of the new CTS, that car has basically stuck a broom up the STS' rear-end wrong way first and then twisted it. There is no room for the current STS with the new CTS around.

I do have to disagree with you on one point 'leigh. The new E90 series 3 Series has actually grown in both size, price AND feature content, the CTS will still be viewed by the vast majority of the car buying public as a 3 series competitor even though it is a larger car overall. The CTS-V will be kind of a question mark, because the M3 is flinging around about 400+ hp, and the new rumoured twin-turbo M5 is supposed to be in the 600 neighborhood.

Aside from that, BMW is importing the extremely popular 1-Series for 2008, basically taking the same exact stance as Cadillac. The BLS would be a direct competitor to the 1 series, it is not anywhere near the same ballpark as the 3 series though, the 3 is just alot more car even when you account for the size-factor.

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Ouch, Might have to hold off thinking about an STS.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I guess I'll be waiting for the new flagship before I consider doing anything. Which is cool by me as it gives me more time to pay off some of my ESV...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Wonder if my STS-V will be worth more to someone now that the series is being killed....

F

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Yeah, I didn't really think of that.. No more STS-V.. I suppose whatever replaced the STS/DTS will have a V version.. At least I hope so...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.