Cadillac nixing the barges, introducing new BRX CUV and RWD sedans
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, Cadillac nixing the barges, introducing new BRX CUV and RWD sedans in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; For eons, the image of a Cadillac ingrained into our minds was that of an extra large cruiser wafting down ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Thumbs down Cadillac nixing the barges, introducing new BRX CUV and RWD sedans

For eons, the image of a Cadillac ingrained into our minds was that of an extra large cruiser wafting down the highway consuming asphalt and small rodents without complaint. That perspective is set to change, as Cadillac plans to drop the slow-selling STS and DTS models, and instead focus its efforts on creating another CUV, a new mid-sized sedan and an entry-level RWD offering.

The plans to redesign the SRX crossover have been nixed due to poor sales, and in its place a new V6-powered, five-passenger CUV, likely to be dubbed the BRX, will go on sale in 2009. More importantly, Cadillac plans to focus its sporting credentials by expanding the CTS lineup to include both a wagon and a coupe, all in an effort to sway consumers interested in the segment-leading BMW 3-series.

Going after the Bavarian boys won't be easy, so in addition to the expansion of the CTS line, Cadillac's replacement for the STS and DTS will take aim at the BMW 5-series, with a high-performance RWD sedan. That, coupled with a proposed entry-level sedan will round out the new Cadillac lineup.
    So Cadillac is dropping both their full-size vehicles?! Are they F'ing nuts?! They're brining in ANOTHER mid-size sedan?! WHY?! They already have one. The CTS! The SRX will be replaced by a new CUV (crossover utility vehicle) and, as we all expected, a new entry-level RWD Caddy. And the CTS is will come in Coupe and Wagon form.

So this NEW mid-size vehicle will chase after the BMW 5-Series. So does that mean the CTS is still chasing after the BMW 3-Series? Why?

No more big Cadillacs.. WHY?!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/30/c...-and-rwd-seda/
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PAULSTSMAN1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 CADILLAC STS

Cool Re: Cadillac nixing the barges, introducing new BRX CUV and RWD sedans

"No more Big Cadillacs Why?" Because the people in the Tower are running around confused! Nothing is worse than a person that doesn't learn anything from their mistakes. Take what's selling (the DTS) kill it and replace it with a carbon copy of someone else's car BMW.

BMW has a cult like following, not necessarily drivers, I blow them away everyday on the 710 Fwy (the worst hell-hole Fwy in SoCal). Nothing like beating hot no driving chicks with long fingernails and high heels, and geek guys that get frightened when speeds go over 70, especially when the Police are watching them! My stealth daily Cadillac STS is happiest at around 85 done dailyI especially like to take on old guys, driving S Class MB's they are real wimps, who pay to play (you get the drift).

So many of the members of these forums talk bad about older Cadillac guys, but you'd be best to stay out of their way, they'll Run Over You! I am out!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: Cadillac nixing the barges, introducing new BRX CUV and RWD sedans

F-ing morons. I think it's time we clean house over at GM corporate.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

I would take this report with a few large grains of salt , and see if any other sources report the same info. Merging the DTS and STS may not be a bad idea, but killing both with no replacement? I find that hard to believe.

Link (requires membership): http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70727090/1128

DETROIT -- Cadillac is getting ready to kill its luxo-barge image once and for all.

General Motors has delayed plans to re-engineer the SRX, a mid-sized crossover that competes with the Lexus RX and BMW X5.

In 2009, the automaker likely will replace it with the BRX, a smaller five-passenger crossover.

Cadillac will take additional steps to enhance its image as a producer of sporty luxury cars:

The CTS sedan will expand into a family with the addition of a wagon and coupe. These vehicles will compete with BMW's popular 3 series, the benchmark for sporty luxury cars.

The slow-selling STS sedan will be killed, as will the venerable DTS sedan, once known as the Deville. Cadillac will replace them with a high-performance rear-wheel-drive sedan aimed at the segment dominated by the BMW 5 series.

A new small entry-level sedan will expand the brand's range.
    Another source... So now Cadillac builds small cars. First it was the hard, cold interiors as opposed to the luxurious, soft, plush interior. Than it was the harsh rides replacing the soft, comfortable rides. Now it's the size of Cadillacs being taken to a completely uncharacteristically small size.

WTF?! Why doesn't GM just change the name of the company to something different? IT'S NOT CADILLAC ANYMORE!

So the CTS is the 3-series competitor. This new car to replace the DTS and STS is the 5-series competitor. What's this new smaller car competing against? The 1-series? I suppose so... And again, no full-size car. How stupid.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

My next car will be a white 96 Fleecewood Brougham with 20k miles on it. I need to get that little old lady to give it up.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Cadillac Product Preview -- "Luxobarges" out, RWD in...

From Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70730005/1065

"Cadillac is convinced it has found a winning formula: sporty handling rear-wheel-drive cars that can compete with European luxury sedans. Gone are the luxo-barges of old - at least in Cadillac's car lineup..."

Re: Cadillac Product Preview -- "Luxobarges" out, RWD in...

It's almost like Cadillac is saying "Hey, it's been a good time, but it's time we cut ya loose" to all us land yacht lovers.

I hate when this happens.

Current:

Past:

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Pretty much all thats left is to hold out hope for the Ultra Lux 2011 Sedan, but (with reason) it looks like that is pretty much at the bottom of the priorities list now.

GM is turning a profit again... hopefully they wont ride a short term success and lose focus of their product future.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

There are not enough people out there that want luxobarges to be worth it for Cadillac to keep building them. I think they are going the right directions. Im happy to see Cadillac being comapred to the Euro cars. I think they have a great formula right now.

Oh don't get me wrong, Cadillac is going in a great direction...products are way better than they were even 5 years ago, and miles ahead of the stuff from 10 years ago, and they've finally gotten the recognition they've desired all along. They'll appeal to a much wider audience with the current and future line up, but they shouldn't kick us to the curb just to find more buyers. Atleast leave one vehicle with the luxobarge idea...6 seats, RWD, big V8, huge size, etc.

Current:

Past:

Jonas McFeely is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    At least leave one vehicle with the luxobarge idea...6 seats, RWD, big V8, huge size, etc.
    I agree. They dont have to crank them out like CTS', but they should have at least one big car for the "old school" Cadillac purists. There are enough people out there that want something big and luxurious, like an S Class or 7 Series, but dont like Krautmobiles. The Town Car just doesnt cut it anymore, and its VERY bland in my opnion, Lincoln does a very poor job of diguising a Crown Victoria.

Cadillac needs to step up here. They are more than capable,especially now, and should start testing the waters with a limited production vehicle. They are turning good profits, they can afford to.

FleeTwood Brougham

Current:

Past:

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Cadillac stopped building a proper Cadillac in 1996 when the last Fleetwood went off the assembly line

Two discussions have been merged...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.