2009 CTS Turbo Diesel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more Discussion, 2009 CTS Turbo Diesel in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ful-new-v.html http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...31&docid=34070 Good news for Cadillac Europe! How's the US opinion? No bad numbers for a diesel! If you don't ...
    70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

2009 CTS Turbo Diesel

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ful-new-v.html

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...31&docid=34070

Good news for Cadillac Europe! How's the US opinion?
    No bad numbers for a diesel! If you don't race your CTS, the turbo diesel is a very comfortable option. Acceleration will just slightly be under the 3.6 and top speed will be of no issue in the US. Those current turbo diesels can even be more quiet that petrol engines (when driving)!
    Having experience with turbo diesels, I can assure you that a turbo diesel CTS will be a very nice and comfortable luxury sedan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Re: 2009 CTS Turbo Diesel

This looks very promising! Ive been involved in diesel tuning in the past, I have a soft spot for it.

Good numbers! I bet it should be a fairly sporty diesel! Curious how much weight it will add to the front end tho...

Eldo, I drove a new 5 series diesel last year, and besides the slightly numb steering and a low redline, you would have thought it was a normal sport pack 5 series! You guys know how to do diesels!

Shouldn't be too much extra weight, if any. It's an alu engine block... not like the oversized cast iron diesel blocks from ancient times.

yeah, current turbo diesels are very comfortable and sporty. Audi, BMW and VW have been racing them for a while with success.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

I never cared for the diesel. Primarily because the fuel is not sold at all stations. Nothing like being low on fuel and finding stations that don't sell it.

advantage is, is that you go about twice the milage on diesel

nickc50310 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS

I saw a thing on top gear about some Audi diesel that gets 40mpg! If its as fast as my 3.6 I would be happy with it.

One disadvantage though- Dont spill that shit on yourself or your car!

B0000rt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    advantage is, is that you go about twice the milage on diesel
    Yeah, and coupled with the recent Ultra Low Sulphur laws in North America, Diesel is more welcome more than ever here!

Extra weight won't matter that much, the engine has crazy amounts of torque to make up for it

dup's Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

400 plus FP's. Nice on the highway.

bdecelle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

sounds good to me. theres a lot of new technology out there now with eficiant high performance turbo diesils. If caddy steps it up in the future and puts out a high performance durbo diesil id be interested, if u look at it this way at least its a turbo with lots of potential because they can hold lots of boost, its much better than one of those tree hugin electric hibrid crab boxes!

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

I'd really like to see them be innovators and start pushing this engine in America. It would be great to see diesels take off here, especially if Cadillac were the first company to really promote it.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    Shouldn't be too much extra weight, if any. It's an alu engine block... not like the oversized cast iron diesel blocks from ancient times.
    From the GMmedia link:
    The engine block is made of stronger and lighter Compacted Graphite Iron (as compared to lower strength aluminium or heavier grey cast iron) to optimise engine packaging, weight, refinement and performance.

Whatever Compacted Graphite Iron is.
    They use the British spelling of "optimize", so I guess this is a European operation which isn't likely to come here, unless gas goes to $4.

Do you suppose they will ship the Italian engines here for assembly or send engine-less cars to Europe?

They ship the complete CTS to Europe, so why not ship Italian engines to the US? By the way, the engine was developed in Italy, it doesn't say it can't be produced in the US afterwards...?

VW Passat has been promoting diesel cars in the US. They do focuss on the range/milage you get with the diesels. Mercedes had (compressor) diesels since forever. BMW and Audi has them too. Would be cool if Cadillac would pick it up too. It is almost inevitable if you want to compete in Europe and when MB, BMW, VW, Audi are getting Diesel market share in the US, you better defend your ground!

Anyway, just wanted to point it out and was curious how a re-introduction of the diesel Cadillac would be accepted in the US.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

If GM made a real commitment to diesel passenger cars in the US, I think they would have real success. I see a lot of expensive diesel pickups around here. When people realize they perform nearly as well as gas cars, and aren't noisy or shakey, more people will buy them.

At least they aren't using a Fix It Again, Tony engine.

Addition on the 2.9 turbo diesel info:
    http://automen.blogspot.com/2007/03/...iesel-for.html

urbanstyles is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Not to mention you can make your own fuel for it if you are ambitious enough for around 70 cents a gallon. As far as I'm concerned, diesel is the way to go for the near future from a consumer point of view.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.