: CTS v. Lincoln MKZ

c5 rv
02-25-07, 09:58 PM
I originally posted this on www.lincolnforums.com :

I leased an AWD Mark Z last week to replace my AWD Sierra Denali as one of my daily drivers. I was looking for a domestic AWD luxury sedan and narrowed the field to a STS or Mark Z. I went with the Mark Z because it met our needs at a MSRP about $17K less.

I've mainly owned GM vehicles over the past 30 years, and have family members who have retired from GM and Ford. I owned an 04 CTS, so if I compare the MKZ to the CTS, each has advantages:

MKZ advantages:

- Availability of AWD (to be offered on the new CTS next year).
- Availability of cooled seats which are not available on the CTS or my SRX.
- The seat bottoms are ventilated all the way to the front and the seat bottom length is longer.
- Lots of standard features that are extra cost on the CTS: heated seats, fold down rear seat (I like the trunk-mounted releases on the MKZ), vivid red color, 3.5L engine, and automatic trans.
- Options on the MKZ are available ala-carte rather that having to be part of expensive packages.
- The standard radio is better than the upgraded Bose in my SRX, especially in the mid-range. Plus it has a MP3 jack.
- More trunk space and back seat legroom.

CTS advantages:

- Better handling. The MKZ reminds me of it's 626 roots with occasional rear suspension clunks on rough roads. (I used to own a 94 626.)
- The CTS 3.6 appears to be smoother and have more low end torque. I haven't seen the Duratec torque curve, but the GM 3.6 has 250 lb. ft. of torque at 2500 RPM. However, the Duratec is starting to wake up in the last 50 miles and I haven't really pushed it hard since I'm still in the break-in period. I'll reserve judgement here.
- More aggressive looks. I like the arts & science look. Others don't. Frankly, another reason I chose the Mark Z is that I wanted something that looked different than my SRX.
- Seat comfort and leather aroma. I've gotten really used to the Cadillac Sigma platform seats and it's taking me a bit of time to find the most comfortable position in the MKZ. Also, the leather smells overly sweet.
- Higher electronic content including tire pressure monitor, oil life monitor, and OnStar. (Some may consider this an advantage.)

So far, I've been pleased. The Mark Z had zero delivery issues - everything worked. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be snowy and icy. Great day to try out the AWD.

Lord Cadillac
02-26-07, 02:30 AM
Great comparison! I like the MKZ myself.. Good choice...

Haleykeek
03-21-07, 09:27 PM
man!!!!!!!!!!! you folks need to change this whole board to the "lincoln Sellout board".well at least you all are being truthful about what's really in your heart.you wont catch me in a lincoln; even if they gave it to me free.If it's not a Caddy,don't even bother brinning it.

JC316
03-22-07, 12:16 AM
I am a lincoln sellout, but the other direction. I sold out from a Mark VIII and went to a Seville :).

Blackout
03-22-07, 05:12 AM
I am a lincoln sellout, but the other direction. I sold out from a Mark VIII and went to a Seville :).Talk about a downgrade! jk

Lord Cadillac
03-23-07, 05:44 PM
We're generally very open-minded around here. We can respect other makes and models besides just Cadillacs - which makes us a very credible community compared to others. There's nothing wrong with Lincolns.. They're making excellent vehicles and I'd be just as proud to drive one as I am a Cadillac. However, Cadillacs have been in my family for years - and I'd like to keep it that way...

AlBundy
03-24-07, 07:05 PM
The MKZ is a very impressive car. I like the look with the chrome grill. Nothing wrong with brand loyalty but I just figured if you found a car you feel good in it shouldn't matter who made it. My father, grandfather, uncle etc... are all Ford men hence me looking for a Mark VIII. I got into my Eldo and it felt just right regardless of the brand loyalty. My father thinks I made a mistake because of the HG rumors but if they go I will fix it because the car feel right to me. I still intend to own a VII, VIII & a STS and they all will be parked next to my Eldo.

Jesda
03-28-07, 12:11 AM
MKZ is based on Mazda's CD3 platform, which is all new as of 2003. 626 was a product of the Mazda-Ford platform that was developed in the 80s and finally gave us the 90s MX-6, Probe, and 626.

PAULSTSMAN1
03-31-07, 06:59 AM
I think the only problem with Lincoln is Ford bought Jaguar. Ford lost it's focus (no pun intended), Lincoln especially the Towncar was better in the previous models 1990's, it was long, ultra smooth, and luxurious. My brother in law had one, and it drove wonderfully. The latest one now signing it's swan song, became a float for seniors, few gauges, underpowered, uninteresting.

the MKZ, has a nice interior, and I generally like it more than the A&S CTS. The 2008 CTS looks much better, but I think it will face a lot of competition from Mercedes Benz C350, Volvo S80, even the Pontiac G8. Well we'll see...:stirpot:

lbwd
04-05-07, 11:03 PM
I don't like Lincoln much, but the MKZ isn't too bad. I'd prefer my STS any day though!

Haleykeek
04-08-07, 03:18 PM
man,wait until the new CTS comes out.it will blow the MKZ (or what ever they call it today) out of the water.Lincoln has taken a chapter out of the 90's era cadillac.chrome trimming,and front-wheel drive.Don't get me wrong,i own a 94 STS with NorthStar FWD,but i'm a Loyal Cadillac fan.I've driven a Mark VIII,and hated how it sounded,and how it ran.too much of an "old-mans" car to be driving around in.the airbags leaked,and in order to retain those factory units,you better have a padded wallet to cover the costs for them,"sagging bags".So with that being said,i've tried them out,and simply did'nt like what i was riding in.If i'm not driving a Cadillac,i may just look to buying a Mercedes,or Lexus.

Blackout
04-08-07, 04:58 PM
man,wait until the new CTS comes out.it will blow the MKZ (or what ever they call it today) out of the water.Lincoln has taken a chapter out of the 90's era cadillac.chrome trimming,and front-wheel drive.Don't get me wrong,i own a 94 STS with NorthStar FWD,but i'm a Loyal Cadillac fan.I've driven a Mark VIII,and hated how it sounded,and how it ran.too much of an "old-mans" car to be driving around in.the airbags leaked,and in order to retain those factory units,you better have a padded wallet to cover the costs for them,"sagging bags".So with that being said,i've tried them out,and simply did'nt like what i was riding in.If i'm not driving a Cadillac,i may just look to buying a Mercedes,or Lexus.Your so off base about the Mark VIII it's not even funny. You think a RWD V8 is an old man's car to a FWD V8 car?:bigroll:

Mark0101
04-08-07, 07:03 PM
Your so off base about the Mark VIII it's not even funny. You think a RWD V8 is an old man's car to a FWD V8 car?:bigroll:
yeah +1

AlBundy
04-09-07, 11:46 AM
Your so off base about the Mark VIII it's not even funny. You think a RWD V8 is an old man's car to a FWD V8 car?:bigroll:

:yeah: +2

Jesda
04-11-07, 08:13 AM
MKZ is going to be a damn good used bargain, just like the LS 8.
If I bought one, first thing I'd do is yank that stupid MKZ badge and throw on a proper "Zephyr"

lbwd
06-14-07, 11:32 PM
The only problem with cars like the "MKZ" is that any joe has one. It was kind of cool the first month it came out, but now it's another Honda Civic or Toyota Camry. It's no longer unique. It got old WAY TOO DAMN FAST!

c5 rv
06-18-07, 10:23 PM
The MKZ is certainly not getting old in the sales dept. It is continuing to head up, especially with the JD Power results. I agree that the 08 CTS will be a great car - but the 07 MKZ has available AWD, cooled seats, no extra charge colors, options you buy ala carte, and you can get it all for under $35K MSRP.

Yes, it shares a platform with a lot of other cars in the Ford stable and the engine points the wrong way, but many buyers don't fret about those things.

lbwd
06-18-07, 10:47 PM
The MKZ is a nice buy and does have some power and all. You won't see me in one though. As I said above, the reason is because it is getting too common and seen too often. That's where "pimping it" comes in. It's worth the money though and has a nice interior and, as you said, great options. I think a red one would be best! Okay, so maybe I would take one...

c5 rv
06-19-07, 05:54 AM
A red one like mine? (I really should take a pic without snow in the background!)

lbwd
06-19-07, 11:49 AM
Yes, like yours. Not bad.

MachX
10-10-07, 10:15 PM
Not having driven one, I like the looks, and the idea of the MKZ. Based on reviews of the car, which talk about it's soft, coddling ride, and smooth engine, and the elegant appearance, it sounds like a Town Car for somebody who doesn't need a WHOLE Town Car, if you catch my drift.

c5 rv
10-15-07, 09:29 PM
Now that the new CTS is out, maybe I should take one for a test drive and compare it to my MKZ.

Jesda
10-23-07, 01:16 PM
MKZ seems like an ideal luxury car for people who want to stay under the radar.

Haleykeek
10-24-07, 07:51 PM
the new CTS blows the doors right off the MKZ.i mean seriously when you compare both cars,there's no comparison .the MKZ is a Mazda.the CTS has its own body,and not to mention 304bhp DI V6.it's also a REAR-WHEEL DRIVEN CAR. Not a car with the motor turned sideways.AWD or not,the MKZ is still a FWD based box.how could somebody even try to compare these two cars???? it's like taking a Knife to a gunfight.they flopped on the Lincoln LS which i thought was a better car than the Zephyr/MKZ or whatever you call the little Mazda.

MachX
10-25-07, 06:43 PM
Wow, there are just WAY too many people who equate horsepower to 'better'. What happened to things such as interior quality, ride quality, build quality, etc.? Along those lines, then, the Viper is vastly superior to the CTS. Which it isn't, really, I mean geez, you can melt the bodywork with those sidepipes. In terms of quality, the MKZ is rated every bit as high as the new CTS. Ride, handling, quietness, and build quality are all top notch in the MKZ. And with 263 hp, and Ford's own direct injection engines forthcoming, it ain't no slouch in the hp department, either.

Mark0101
10-26-07, 12:49 PM
From what I found on the net, the new 300 HP CTS does
0-60....................6.53s
1/4 mile................14.98s
1/4 mile mph..........97.30 MPH
60-0.....................116 ft

MKZ with AWD
0-60.....................6.57s
1/4 mile.................15.10s
1/4 mile mph..........95.10 MPH
60-0.....................133 ft

MKZ can hold its own against a car that has more hp (41 HP to be exact)