: Chrome rim exchange

coach123
02-24-07, 11:23 PM
What are the results of OEM rim exchange? How is there service and their product? I am debating on either purchasing a set of rims or just having mine chromed and would like to hear from people that have used their services whether or not they have had any issues with their rims since the chroming.

lawfive
02-24-07, 11:36 PM
Many, many moons ago I had a set of rims chromed. Can you say, "flake?" I knew you could.

The process may have (must have) improved over the eons since then. But I'd still say "Go OEM." OEM chrome rims rock on a black or redline V.

Others here may have more up-to-date knowledge on aftermarket chrome.

dqw1
02-25-07, 08:36 AM
It worked out for me. It took a week to get my wheels in. They did a good job chroming them but I might have a chip starting on one wheel. I also noticed where the spoke meets the base or outside portion, there's like a burn or slight discoloration on each wheel. It's hardly noticable at all but I am pleased with my wheels.
When I called OEM they said they didn't anything in stock and there was waiting list. I had the wheel shop call and they shipped right away. Maybe someone backed out and they sold to my installer.

coach123
02-25-07, 09:06 AM
Hah, I can't spell. Thats what I get for staying up so late. Thanks for your reply guys. I know there are more people that have done the exchange and I would like to hear from you all. I would like to know what these things look like in a year or two. I am worried about discoloration or peeling. I have a black V so chrome rims will really set it off.

Kadonny
02-25-07, 09:09 AM
Where do you live and do you drive the car in snow at all?

Chrome and salt don't mix well together. That was the only thing that stopped me from getting chromies.

OldRoadDawg
02-25-07, 02:35 PM
I have no complaint with their service. I sent mine in even though they didn't have any to send back. But just as mine arrived there they called me and said they would be shipping me a set. Saved me $50. Got from the left coast to PA in 5 days. The rims look good, but they are sitting in my garage until the snow goes away.

CVP33
02-25-07, 02:35 PM
I did the chrome exchange with L.A.Wheel off ebay. It ends up costing $1,000. My SRT-8's are polished and painted, similar to the stock CTS-V and the optional GM wheels. They tend to pit from the excessive brake dust so I'm hoping the chromed ones help with this. They should be here by Friday. As far as peeling, the wheels are guaranteed for 4 years so I should be into my next ride by then. Here's a link to my wheels. And yes I know, just what I needed more bling. :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300082344320&rd=1,1

Here's a set for your cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Brand-NEW-CHROME-Cadillac-CTS-V-18-inch-Wheels-CTSV_W0QQitemZ180087941812QQihZ008QQcategoryZ43958 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's my next bling mod:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110095610125&rd=1&rd=1

dqw1
02-25-07, 05:03 PM
Hah, I can't spell. Thats what I get for staying up so late. Thanks for your reply guys. I know there are more people that have done the exchange and I would like to hear from you all. I would like to know what these things look like in a year or two. I am worried about discoloration or peeling. I have a black V so chrome rims will really set it off.
One other thing for you think about: Get the Hawk HPS pads on. Much less visible brake dust than the stock pads which leaves excessive brake dust.

jnrandall
02-25-07, 06:10 PM
I ordered from LA Wheel also (exchange) and hopefully they'll be here this week. They were supposed to arrive last week but they didn't ship them supposedly because they failed LAWheels quality control. Two of the wheels didn't pass. They are getting them replaced and I should have them soon. Although I am disappointed that I don't have them, I am glad the company is really on top of their products.

tedcmiller
02-25-07, 08:46 PM
I did a chrome-exchange on the wheels on my 2004 CTS-V with the Vogue manager at the dealership where I bought the car. They were on the 2004 for 1.5 years and I had them transferred to the 2005 when I bought it. So, the wheels have been on a car for about 2.5 years. I noticed a small flaking spot on one wheel a couple of weeks ago, but since the chrome is actually transparent (it's the underlying nickle plating that gives chrome plating the shine) I will simply keep the nickle that is no longer plated shiney when I wash the car. Bottom line, all after-market chrome plating tends to be of somewhat lower quality than factory plating, but chrome exchange has worked well for me both on the CTS-V, and for parts on my motorcycles in the past.

coach123
02-25-07, 10:58 PM
I'm located in Atlanta so I don't think snow will be that big of a deal. The CTS-V is my weekend car which I usually only take out when its nice. It sounds like everyone has had good feedback for exchange programs.

I am going to give myself a week to think about it before purchasing.

If I can find someone with any size chrome rims for sale I would rather go that route so I will have a spare set laying around.

Todd3544
03-20-07, 05:03 PM
New Chromies... I did the chrome wheel exchange through LA Wheel and Tire. The chrome looks awesome, no divits, or scratches anywhere; the edges even look great. It costs $750 bucks including shipping and of course my stockies. They only disappointment about the whole deal is they sent me the wrong size lug nuts, but I will be sending those back for a refund. Here are some pics.

stkshkr
03-20-07, 05:53 PM
Looks great

Todd3544
03-20-07, 09:37 PM
Thanks.. It gives the car a whole different look than the factory alloy's. They are not much heavier than the stockies either.

sotxmike
03-20-07, 10:02 PM
OK, I'm ignant. Is OEM rim exchange done through a Cadillac dealer or is it one in the same as LA Wheel & Tire? Thanks :thumbsup:

z06bigbird
03-20-07, 11:59 PM
Tire dealers tell me that chrome wheels will flake after a few(???) years. When they flake on the flange, where it meets the bead of the tire, you will constantly lose air. Magnesiums (magnesia for plural??) used to do the same.

As your tire dealer.

Ed

stkshkr
03-21-07, 02:25 AM
Todd,
Check your PM's

jnrandall
03-22-07, 11:25 PM
UPDATE:
They're in and they are sweet!:thumbsup:

http://www.jrandall.com/ctsv/side.jpg