: New V owner

crankedupforit
02-24-07, 06:18 PM
After driving A4s for the last 8 years I finally had to bite it and get a V. Thanks to the forum I think I went into this deal with my eyes wide open. I took delivery of a 2005 redline with 14K someone traded in for a 05 C55 AMG. To my surprise the CAGS was still intact and the original F1s (maybe) still had some life. Except for a hosed up crooked front license plate holder the car was pretty cherry. Oh yeah, the nav buttons were flaked, but I expected that. I heard the drive line clunk a bit at low speeds but I expected that as well. I obtained a service history from a local dealer on the car and learned that the water pump and thermostat was replaced. Again I read about a TSB for that as well right here on the forum. I can't express the value of info I got here. And even though I see the forum as an opportunity for people to go ape sh*t with a rant about a problem, I can still tell there is a tremendous passion for these cars. Thats what made me buy mine.

So my first official question to the boys is this. Although the rear diff seems to be a sore spot with a lot of owners, I read somewhere that the race car CTS-VR actually uses about 70% of the production model including the hubs, half shafts and differential. I'm not an aggresive driver in the respect that I like to do "burn outs", but like anyone else, let's say I'm a "spirited driver". What mods or revised maintenance should a new V owner do to the diff, and should I have it inspected or serviced right off the bat. I've ony had the car for 2 weeks and the Wisconsin weather is not co-operating for the honeymoon. Nothing seems apparent right now.

CIWS
02-24-07, 06:28 PM
Greetings and :welcome: to the V and the forum.

OldRoadDawg
02-24-07, 06:51 PM
Greetings and welcome. Can't give you much help on your question. My '04 has 27K of 'spirited' driving, but I'm still on the original diff. Matter of fact.. I'm still on the original everything in the in the car except the usual mods. Nuthin' broke yet.

04CTSVFLA
02-24-07, 06:56 PM
i am a crazy driver, been through one diff, its always clunking, but right after they replace the rubber diff mount? i think its called, it always feels butter. I think the cts-v racecar gets all those parts cryo treated.....

blackonblackonblack
02-24-07, 08:19 PM
You just got your car, forget about the differential for alittle while and go race some M3's or even your former c55.... then smile :) :want:

crankedupforit
02-24-07, 08:42 PM
I'd love to if it would stop damn snowing up here! Anyway maybe I'll run into the guy who traded in the V for the C55 and get a chance to give him some buyers remorse.
Coming off a little A4, which I still have BTW, is really a trip. The Audi is really a blast to drive and it scoots around fine driven at it's limits. The Cadi is a whole nuther story. What a beast! I know why people on the forum are raggin about tires and rear ends. They can't keep their finger off the trigger.

lawfive
02-24-07, 08:58 PM
Welcome!! Would have been so great had you been around here during the massive toysport thread of aught-six.

rand49er
02-24-07, 09:44 PM
... Would have been so great had you been around here during the massive toysport thread of aught-six.:yeah: Where is shorttoy, anyway?

:welcome: Yeah, and you guys can keep that snow in Wisconsin ... don't be sending it over this way!

Beast? Ain't it though?

Albertan
02-25-07, 12:53 AM
cranked...
Welcome to the forum. I managed to drive mine today for the first time in 3 weeks. Hope the weather gets better for you to drive it, it is hard not to drive with a smile.

ctsvett
02-25-07, 02:38 AM
welcome...

dont forget:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/newbie.html

and

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/reg/

Reed

theloanman219
02-25-07, 08:14 AM
Well welcome and Good hunting! I also am not a very aggressive either when it comes to burn outs. I drive light to light and right now with snowbird season here there is not much of that either. I got my car in october and thanks to the forum it was a smart purchase. There are many different options but only one has made me happy. Good luck with it. If you really want to thank everyone for the help making the decision then be a supported member. It is so worth it. With having a rare car you can't go to the store an buy a magazine to get ideas. And I think that once you become a supported member you will not have to wait for 50 posted to be able to PM. (its worth it)

Well good luck and post some damn pics!

Gene