: Found This Under My Clutch Pedal ... ?

rand49er
02-24-07, 03:53 PM
Took out the V to get groceries today, then found this spring right where my left foot rests. Clutch still feels okay. Anybody recognize it before I get on my head to take a look-see? It's got grease all over it, too.

lawfive
02-24-07, 03:59 PM
It's a penny.

Imperator
02-24-07, 04:00 PM
Looks like the pedal return spring broke. Hydraulic pressure @ the master is keeping your pedal up, so you should only notice a slight reduction in pedal pressure. I think it's happened to a few others on here... I need to check mine too.

lawfive
02-24-07, 04:04 PM
'k I just looked. There's two clutch pedal return springs, one on each side. Looks like you've lost one. I'd take it to the dealer as soon as you can.

Adam
02-24-07, 04:07 PM
It's a penny.

:rofl:

rand49er
02-24-07, 04:31 PM
It's a penny.I just knew I shoulda said something about that penny or lawfive would say that. :thepan: <-- me

Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

Hey, you know what? I just looked at the darn thing, and it IS broke! I'll be doggone!!

I'm goin' to the dealer. Dang ... just when we're getting crappy weather (snowstorm), too. Will have to wait a few days till the roads clear up and get dry again.

OldRoadDawg
02-24-07, 05:11 PM
Took out the V to get groceries today,
You just couldn't leave it the garage.. could you? :tisk:
At least that's why I'm yelling at myself. Took mine out for a 6 mile errand. Now it is dirty with road slop and too cold to wash it without the water freezing on it. :bang2:

rand49er
02-24-07, 05:24 PM
You just couldn't leave it the garage.. could you? :tisk: ...Yup. I admit it. But, the way it came down was I asked my 4-year-old son, "do you want to take daddy's no. 1 car or daddy's no. 2 car?" Heck, I already know which one he's gonna say. :thumbsup:

CIWS
02-24-07, 05:25 PM
You might want to look around and see if there's a loose grenade anywhere...

;)

tedcmiller
02-26-07, 07:14 AM
Having experienced the "clutch not returning at high RPM" problem once, I looked at the return spring under the dash. I would agree with the others, that is definitely one-half of a broken return spring.

The Tony Show
02-26-07, 09:24 AM
Looks like your Knuestsen valve dropped a spring. Check your muffler bearing while you're at it, since they usually fail within days of each other.

:thumbsup:

lawfive
02-26-07, 10:20 AM
haha.lol

rand49er
02-26-07, 10:48 AM
Looks like your Knuestsen valve dropped a spring. ...Hey, Tony, shoot me a part no. :lol:

lawfive
02-26-07, 11:26 AM
While you're at it, shoot us a part number for the penny.

RunningOnEMT
02-26-07, 11:39 AM
i actually had a guy at the parts store looking for a johnson rod for a 69 beetle for a couple minutes before he got mad at me

mdc
02-26-07, 01:15 PM
i actually had a guy at the parts store looking for a johnson rod for a 69 beetle for a couple minutes before he got mad at me

I don't understand why we (we being the human race) just can't design a Johnson Rod that doesn't break so often ...

:mad:

rand49er
02-26-07, 01:55 PM
I don't understand why we (we being the human race) just can't design a Johnson Rod that doesn't break so often ...

:mad:Or droop when it ages a bit.

Koooop
02-26-07, 02:02 PM
It is the clutch return spring, I have the same half a spring in the compartment in my door. It's no big deal (for you anyway), I drove mine like that for thousands of miles after I found the spring on the floor. Apparently it's a bitch to replace, it took the tech a while to replace. Plan to be out of your car a couple of days.

If that's your johnson spring you better vist the enzyte site!

Hung like a roll of Pennys?

I'm sure the V makes you feel like you're hung like a roll of quarters.

rand49er
02-26-07, 02:31 PM
... Apparently it's a bitch to replace, it took the tech a while to replace. Plan to be out of your car a couple of days. ...Say it ain't so! I don't want no loaner!!!

You sure it's not like a two-minute job? :confused:

Koooop
02-26-07, 02:37 PM
Say it ain't so! I don't want no loaner!!!

You sure it's not like a two-minute job? :confused:

I think my memory is correct here (I don't even believe this) but more than 7 hours? It could be the large quantities of Alcohol from the weekend making things foggy for me or:

When my car was in for this it came back from the dealer with a blown clutch and a busted diff mount. Maybe there were other parts repaired that I am unaware of that required more time after the flogging the lot boy gave my car.

rand49er
02-26-07, 02:44 PM
... Maybe there were other parts repaired that I am unaware of that required more time after the flogging the lot boy gave my car.:histeric:

Last time I took my car into the dealer (pinion seal), the service tech got behind the wheel to take it back to a bay and stalled it out right there in the lane. I guess that's a good sign that they're not getting many V's in for the kid to practice on.

Koooop
02-26-07, 02:52 PM
I wish the guys at my dealership couldn't drive.

Karma's a bitch.

V-Max
02-26-07, 03:41 PM
Double check cruise control operation if you use it often.

Norm

It is the clutch return spring, I have the same half a spring in the compartment in my door. It's no big deal (for you anyway), I drove mine like that for thousands of miles after I found the spring on the floor. Apparently it's a bitch to replace, it took the tech a while to replace. Plan to be out of your car a couple of days.

If that's your johnson spring you better vist the enzyte site!

Hung like a roll of Pennys?

I'm sure the V makes you feel like you're hung like a roll of quarters.

Koooop
02-26-07, 07:18 PM
My cruise worked fine with or without the spring.

rand49er
02-28-07, 11:55 AM
Not snowing or raining out today, so I took it into the dealer. They looked at the piece of broken spring, took it back to a bay, looked up under there, then ordered a clutch assembly. Next decent day we get around here, I'll take it in and get it done.

Thanks, guys!

ntechnic
04-10-07, 07:40 PM
I'm currently waiting for my car to get it's new clutch pedal assembly. I found the exact same broken spring on the floor mat. This makes my 13th warranty service that required a loaner car. That's an average of once every seven weeks since I bought the car.

I still love the car though...

ctsvflorida
04-10-07, 08:12 PM
C'mon Randy, tell the truth! That's your wifes wedding ring! LOL

RightTurn
04-10-07, 08:16 PM
I'm currently waiting for my car to get it's new clutch pedal assembly. I found the exact same broken spring on the floor mat. This makes my 13th warranty service that required a loaner car. That's an average of once every seven weeks since I bought the car.

I still love the car though...

Dang. It must be getting tougher to love her. :lol:

ctsvflorida
04-10-07, 08:29 PM
Dang. It must be getting tougher to love her. :lol:

Leaving yourself wide open Sarah! Not really yourself, but 'all' women! LOL

RightTurn
04-10-07, 08:33 PM
Leaving yourself wide open Sarah! Not really yourself, but 'all' women! LOL

Brian, please put the beer down and step away. :alchi: I was referring to his CAR. :lol:

rand49er
04-10-07, 09:04 PM
Update: Got my car fixed, left the dealer, drove about 20 miles, and the Nav screen gave a warning about servicing my AC system. What?!? Called the dealer, drove back immediately, they took about one minute to determine that they had not connected up some plug under the dash. :rant2: I did a slow burn, but what could I do? :thehand:

Anyway, all is well now, but I've got to install my aluminum Autovation pedal on the new clutch pedal.

Geez, never thought I'd see this thread resurrected just so Brian and Sarah could trade barbs. :stirpot:

And, NO Brian, it wasn't my wife's wedding ring. This was metal, not plastic.

RightTurn
04-10-07, 09:10 PM
Update: Got my car fixed, left the dealer, drove about 20 miles, and the Nav screen gave a warning about servicing my AC system. What?!? Called the dealer, drove back immediately, they took about one minute to determine that they had not connected up some plug under the dash. :rant2: I did a slow burn, but what could I do? :thehand:

Anyway, all is well now, but I've got to install my aluminum Autovation pedal on the new clutch pedal.

Geez, never thought I'd see this thread resurrected just so Brian and Sarah could trade barbs. :stirpot:

And, NO Brian, it wasn't my wife's wedding ring. This was metal, not plastic.

Glad you got your car fixed, even with a bit of irritation. Isn't that the way it always is? (NOT TALKING ABOUT LINDSAY, JAMES!! :lol:)

Trading barbs with Brian? ahaha, he's just too easy. :highfive: (j/k Bri!!)