: How in the hell..............

Wife_took_my_Cadi
02-24-07, 02:10 PM
Do you get the shifter ball off the shifter???? I've been pulling and pulling on it. It just wont come off the broken UUC so I can put it on the new one........

04CTSVFLA
02-24-07, 02:17 PM
you really just gotta pull man.....my friend pulled on mine so hard it jerked up and hit him right in the lip when it came off.. busted his lip up real nice...so be careful that things got some weight......

RamAir02
02-24-07, 05:15 PM
Its kinda funny that I see everyone not being able to get the shift knob off. I have the stock shifter still, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but when I'm ripping my car and bang second the shift knob comes right off! LOLOL!!

rand49er
02-24-07, 05:28 PM
I love the way Rick (StealthV) described this procedure. Something like his hand almost went thru the roof went that sucker came off. I'll tell ya, that description fit my own personal experience to a "T." :)

lawfive
02-24-07, 05:36 PM
Ya gots ta straddle it, first, gets it between yo legs, and yank on it. pull, pull, pull, pull, pull, yank, yank, yank, yank, yank, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk...

50 4Ever
02-24-07, 05:38 PM
Its kinda funny that I see everyone not being able to get the shift knob off. I have the stock shifter still, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but when I'm ripping my car and bang second the shift knob comes right off! LOLOL!!

Form what I've read the knob is harder to get off of the UUC than the stock shifetr. I tried to get mine off the UUC and it won't budge. Guess I'll have to hook up a block and tackle on the garage ceiling and go down thru the sunroof... :rant2:

V-Love
02-24-07, 11:08 PM
Use the 1st to 2nd hard shift tickle trick. Works 3rd to 4th too. Everyones doin it.

Wife_took_my_Cadi
02-25-07, 01:11 AM
ok....................... Mine is way harder to get off the UUC than the stocker. I took the broken piece to a vice and almost pulled a muscle/crap my self at the same time. Key word there ALMOST

Castro
08-09-10, 02:21 PM
Thread revival. I had my uuc shifter installed, then got a V2 knob which went in easily. The stock knob popped right off, V2 popped right in. Now I'm trying to swap the boot out and can't get the knob off. I've been searching posts and found similar experiences. One person actually tore the whole shifter arm out apparently, so I'm worried about breaking something. I'm pretty strong but this is rediculous, I stradled the console with my sunroof open during lunch and it wouldn't budge. Anyone have a trick or is it just brute force and hope for the best?

PISNUOFF
08-09-10, 02:26 PM
Put it in 2nd gear or 4th gear and pull upwards and rearwards at the same time. It should come off that way. Make sure you have detached the trim piece from the console first and DO NOT TWIST. If you have a UUC shifter, the knob should come off well before the shifter comes apart as you'd have to break the two tiny screws that hold the top portion to the bottom portion. The stock shifter stalk is held together with rubber that is melted to the two pieces and has a tendency to come apart if it's twisted. It's not that big of a deal if you do rip it in two pieces, you'll just have to remove the whole thing and re-melt them together.

CancerJCC
08-09-10, 02:29 PM
I ripped of my trim/boot and had to glue it back on. (UUC) its hard!

Castro
08-09-10, 02:34 PM
Put it in 2nd gear or 4th gear and pull upwards and rearwards at the same time. It should come off that way. Make sure you have detached the trim piece from the console first and DO NOT TWIST. If you have a UUC shifter, the knob should come off well before the shifter comes apart as you'd have to break the two tiny screws that hold the top portion to the bottom portion. The stock shifter stalk is held together with rubber that is melted to the two pieces and has a tendency to come apart if it's twisted. It's not that big of a deal if you do rip it in two pieces, you'll just have to remove the whole thing and re-melt them together.

Will do. The trim piece is already broken so it's ready to come out.

PISNUOFF
08-09-10, 02:49 PM
What did you do with your stock shifter when it was replaced with the UUC?

cvettr/cts-v
08-09-10, 03:00 PM
factory knob brute force..... uuc knob has set screw. I think we used 5th gear undoing bezel from console first and mindful of the dash and windshield.

Castro
08-09-10, 04:01 PM
What did you do with your stock shifter when it was replaced with the UUC?

I saved it for you buddy. PM me if you want it I think it's in my garage.

Castro
08-09-10, 04:02 PM
factory knob brute force..... uuc knob has set screw. I think we used 5th gear undoing bezel from console first and mindful of the dash and windshield.

Wo wo woah what set screw?? I'm using a V2 knob on it, just popped on like a stocker.

cvettr/cts-v
08-09-10, 04:50 PM
Wo wo woah what set screw?? I'm using a V2 knob on it, just popped on like a stocker.

sorry did not see your using v2 knob, then no set screw just force.

thebigjimsho
08-09-10, 05:42 PM
I was having a hell of a time taking off the knob on my '09 to replace the shift boot. It was the 2nd time taking it off and it was MUCH harder than the first. I was killing myself trying and made a number of attempts over many days. What I ended up having to do was take a shop rag and fold it up a few times and rest it on the shift knob. Then I beat the hell out of it with a small mallet. Seriously. Just beat the hell out of it straight down with a mallet(not metal). After that, it came right off with a small pivot forward and moderate force upward...just like before...

Dan_Gurney
08-09-10, 09:01 PM
I saved it for you buddy. PM me if you want it I think it's in my garage.

Those of us on the waiting list thank you!

Castro
08-10-10, 10:36 AM
I got it solved, very random indeed. I put it in second and pulled nowhere near as hard as before and it came right off. Weird since I was doing that already with no success.