: Navigation Screen Dims

Old_Soldier
02-24-07, 01:34 PM
I have a 2004 SRX with the navigation system.

I have a problem with the brightness of the screen.

I can start the car in the garage and the navigation screen is bright and readable. I put the car into reverse, move into the bright sunlight and the screen dims (like it should at night) and cannot be read. I can drive for hours with the screen unreadable and then it may become somewhat brighter or even to the proper brightness level - or NOT.

The dealer replaced the navigation screen once for this exact same problem. The system worked fine for a while and gradually started to malfunction again.

The problem is intermittent in that I might drive someplace and not be able to see the screen, park out in the sunlight, return to the car and it is fine - or NOT.

I have parked inside a parking garage, started the car with the screen bright and readable, emerge into the sunlight and pooof!

I have even tried to force the DAYLIGHT mode instead of the AUTOMATIC with no success. :thepan:

The screen never misbehaves at night i.e. it never comes on brighter than it should. The problem occurs only in the daylight and is intermittent.

As I said, this is the second round for this problem but with a replacement unit - or so the dealer said.

JonSRX
02-28-08, 05:41 PM
I have a similar problem with an '04 V* with rear seat DVD, but mine is always dim. If you hold up a flashlight, you can see the picture. Nothing without. Dealer knows nothing and car out of warranty. Anybody know anything? THX

Superjim
02-29-08, 07:46 AM
Old Soldier,

Just an idea... When it is dim... get out and see if your headlights are on.

The light sensor for mine sometimes don't know if it is daylight or dark.

Jim from Texas

Old_Soldier
03-03-08, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

My headlights won't be on 'cause I rarely use the auto headlight feature.

Through trial and error I have concluded that cold temperatures are the cause. This does not happen in the summer. In the winter, once the cabin becomes warm the display comes on properly.

My service writer at the Cadillac dealer tells me that she has seen a number of vehicles with this same problem - without resolution. :annoyed:

ryaus1
03-03-08, 06:07 PM
There is a resolution, just not one we like to hear: replace the unit at your expense ...

Superjim
03-03-08, 10:06 PM
I have a similar problem with an '04 V* with rear seat DVD, but mine is always dim. If you hold up a flashlight, you can see the picture. Nothing without. Dealer knows nothing and car out of warranty. Anybody know anything? THX

If I am not mistaken... they have a backlight in them just like an LCD computer monitor, The backlights will go out on computer monitors and cause EXACTLY the symptoms you describe. You can see it with a flashlight but thats about it.

I have no idea how much it would cost to replace the backlight. It shouldn't be too much. Might check with a good TV repair shop. LCD TV's do the same thing.

Texas Jim

schwbl
03-05-08, 05:58 PM
I've had the same issue. After backing out of the dark garage, it takes sometimes a mile or two before the autodim feature to shut off. I hope that this is not a prelude of problems to come. So far, with in reason it corrects itself. Thanks

DaveL
03-24-08, 07:52 PM
We have this problemtoo. Can't read the screen in the cold. Dealer has seen the car twice and declared it fixed. No it's not!

Any help?

Location...Toronto And it's not really that cold!

DaveL