: Swapping Northstar for Vortec

Cadillacboy
02-24-07, 08:52 AM
I have been considering a "cool" project .I would consider of swapping my stock Northstar engine for Vortec 6.2 .I wouldn't do it now because my car has a new engine with 20K miles on it .
I find my car quite fast but I wouldn't turn it down extra power .I am aware of Mark's 99STS but I don't think his engine will last long due to over mods on it .
In addition with a custom turbo or supercharger you would pay many $$$ but still your gain wouldn't get over 100 HP .
That's why if I can get a brand new Vortec 6.2 and it's transmission (I don't think 4T80E would handle with such a huge torque) and a new PCM to 6.2 ,I will have had 400 HP in my pocket and I think it would be much cheaper to Mark's 99STS .
What's making me worry is that my car is FWD but Vortec is only used in Escalade which is 4X4 .
Don't tell me to buy a Vette because I am not really into 2 doors and definitely love the way STS looks .'05 and up STS-V is not my choice as well.

Vortec is a real bullet proof engine because I haven't heard any bad stories on it and as a previous Escalade owner that engine is very powerful to handle such a huge truck .I had mine reprogrammed by the dealer and I gained approximately extra 30 HP,higher torque and better MPG afterwards.

codewize
02-24-07, 10:22 AM
My first guess is that you'll probably be doing transmission repairs soon after the swap. The Vortec is a great engine based on the L05 with some fabulous tuning but I think it's to much for the 4T80E in these Caddies. It's my understanding that they're not designed for a lot more they they come attached to. You might be ok with 400HP but I wouldn't push more than that.

BodybyFisher
02-24-07, 11:24 AM
Just a thought but the problem with this is that everything in your car is controlled by the existing PCM, you could make this change but nothing else in the car would work..with the vortec's PCM (ABS, Suspension,etc)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-24-07, 05:33 PM
Would the Vortec 5.7L physicially fit under the hood sitting longitudinal?

weister42
02-24-07, 08:29 PM
You're looking at a major overhaul for everything because of the stock N*'s PCM. You could say, swap everything from a Vortec-equipped car...and I'm talking about tranny, PCM, all the wiring, everything.

IMO this type of project is easier if you build one from the frame up. Not too hard to find a wrecked SLS/STS with a good grame.

Cadillacboy
02-26-07, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys for your inputs .It's for sure it would be much easier if we talk about 'pre 93 Broughams