: Possible to get good sound quality out of an 8-track?

Benzilla
02-24-07, 03:29 AM
Okay, I know how many things are wrong with that sentence, but seriously. I want to keep the original 8-track/CB radio in my '79 CDV but I want it to sound better. I'm thinking that replacing the speakers would do wonders, I have a set of nice sounding 6x9s that I put in my '96 Deville before I sold it, and I'm thinking of putting them in the back deck with a Kenwood amp I have using high level inputs. But will they still sound muddy coming from that old radio? If I had to, I was thinking about getting one of those modern cassette/CD changer radios they make to look stock in the dash of old cars, but I really do like having 8-track playback. I throw in some old Frank Sinatra, Pink Floyd, or Connie Francis and it's like a time machine.

CadillacSTS42005
02-24-07, 01:26 PM
i HIGHLY doubt it...
but if you dont wanna swap you can either put a cd player in the glove box or something the like...

OffThaHorseCEO
02-24-07, 01:35 PM
you might try a good equalizer to bring out the frequencies you want heard and TRY to drown out the bad stuff.

ive never heard sound from an 8track so dont know exactly how bad it is, but i hadnt heard a cassette tape in so long, so i decided to throw one in the deville i had and was horrified at the difference

CadillacSTS42005
02-24-07, 01:42 PM
8 Track<Tape<CD<MP3

Benzilla
02-24-07, 02:49 PM
I know 8 tracks will never sound perfect, but I think a big problem is the speakers. Regular FM radio sounds just as bad as the 8 tracks. So my thinking was that if I replace the speakers, everything might sound better. Keep in mind, the originals are 28 now, I'm sure it doesn't sound as good as it did when it was new. Speakers age. I remember Rick(Nightwolf) replaced his front speakers, and took a cassette player out of a '85 Fleetwood, and he said it sounded much better.

CadillacSTS42005
02-24-07, 03:03 PM
imho
dont cut the dash
mount a cd player underneath the dash or in the box
then run new speaker wires and replace the speaks
trust me youll be glad you did it!

OffThaHorseCEO
02-25-07, 11:28 AM
imho
dont cut the dash
mount a cd player underneath the dash or in the box
then run new speaker wires and replace the speaks
trust me youll be glad you did it!

thats what my uncle did in his 63 chevy impala ss

OffThaHorseCEO
02-25-07, 11:29 AM
8 Track<Tape<CD<MP3
not always true, it depends what bitrate or quality the mp3 was encoded at, but assuming 128k or better than yea you're right

CadillacSTS42005
02-25-07, 12:24 PM
yuh i never download at low quality or highly compressed versions defeats the whole point of mp3s...

the727kid
02-25-07, 02:15 PM
CD>MP3 at all times. I don't care what any one says. A mp3 is a compressed music file, small bits and pieces of the music are taken out of the song and much quality as well. You can look at a simple comparison on a audio program and see on a chart the difference.

CadillacSTS42005
02-25-07, 02:21 PM
i think my ipod sounds louder and clearer at all times as apposed to my store bought cds...

the727kid
02-25-07, 02:26 PM
Louder and clearer don't mean much. The differences on a mp3 aren't too noticable most of the time, but side by side they are. BTW maybe your SVC is turned up higher for your ipod.

OffThaHorseCEO
02-25-07, 09:58 PM
CD>MP3 at all times. I don't care what any one says. A mp3 is a compressed music file, small bits and pieces of the music are taken out of the song and much quality as well. You can look at a simple comparison on a audio program and see on a chart the difference.

wrong again even if you follow your method of thinking. if a mp3 is a compressed music file, then how will a compilation cd full of mp3's you downloaded sound......

the727kid
02-26-07, 01:46 PM
What are you talking about? Go research it and then prove me wrong.

weister42
02-26-07, 02:53 PM
Drop the 8-track guy, they're useless, besides where r u going to get new music? You do a stealth install where the headunit is behind the original 8 track player's face(the old player's face flips down), somewhat of a security measure and keeping the old look.

As for the CD vs. mp3...

A correctly-encoded 256kbps mp3 sounds 99% identical to a CD's uncompresses .wav files, I've done a direct-comaprision with a pair of headphones(40mm drivers) and came out with the result. WMA file of the same song ripped via Windows Media Player came out to contain more treble than the original for some reason. The mp3 sounds just a tiny bit "softer" than the CD(perhaps the dynamics were limited to a certain point) but all the bass/treble beats and vocals are present and placed where they're supposed to be on the sound stage. There are cheap mp3 encoders that totally destroys the original stereo imaging, depth and overall quality(like those free ones from download.com), but there are mp3 encoders that does an amazing job(like the one included with my BS Audigy 2 ZS sound card). Remember how you used to be able to choose from "low/medium/high/highest" quality(inverse for encoding time) when ripping mp3s? Always choose highest quality setting or you'll be disappointed. Anything lower than 192kbps the loss data becomes significantly more noticeable.

Some people are willing to sacrifice a little bit of sound quality for portability, and I totally hate CDs skipping when driving over train tracks or if you have massive bass in the trunk. I'm actually swapping out my CD/mp3 deck in favor for a MobiBlu MP3 player and an Eclipse 21010 preamp. I still love CDs but the whole skipping part just pisses me off...and the CD often doesn't fit in my pocket.

Benzilla
02-26-07, 08:09 PM
Well, it isn't as if I can't play CD's through the 8 track.

Didn't think about that, did you?

weister42
02-27-07, 06:38 PM
If you really want to keep the 8 track you can buy an 8 track-to-cassette adapter, then a cassette-to-minijack adapter and hook it up to your portable mp3/CD player. It'll help the sound if you clean the reading heads on the 8 track and the cassette with rubbing alcohol. It might not sound too bad with new speakers and some EQ, that's if the 8 track player itself have sufficient power, at least 15 watts per channel RMS into 4 ohms.

Benzilla
02-27-07, 09:27 PM
That's what I'm doing right now, but I think I need a new 8 track to cassette adaptor, mine started squeaking.