: Lincoln Mark X

newby
02-24-07, 02:17 AM
OK, here goes. Give it to me if you have to...

My SRX is about to turn 50,000 miles and that is when I trade in. Right before the factory warranty expires. I had good luck with my loaded v8 awd but the thought of another 50,000 miles with that hump pushing against my right leg would drive me nuts. I actually have a bruise where my calf hits the thing. I thought about going at it with a sledge hammer to see if I can get rid of it.

I looked at the Escalade and liked it but it is too big for where I drive. Also, you would think that a $68,000 vehicle would have auto windows on all four doors, not just the drivers’ door. At least my SRX had it on the front two. I guess it would have cost a small fortune to put auto up on the back windows.

I just traded in my SRX with 45,000 miles and ordered a Lincoln Mark X. The dealer gave me $20,000 real money on the trade and took off $2200 from the sticker. A fully loaded awd Mark X with every option possible except rear DVD lists for $43,800. I got mine for $41,000 minus $20,000 for my trade. I gave the dealer a check for $21,000 plus tax title and plates.

Why didn’t I buy another Caddy? One reason was the hump I mentioned; the other reason was that a ’07 SRX with the same equipment would have cost me $8500.00 more.

I like the Caddy more that the Lincoln, but not $8500.00 more. Plus the thought of 4 or 5 MPG better might feel good too. I have only reset my SRX’s average MPG two or three times in 40,000 miles. It has always given me 12.9 miles per gallon.

I am not bad mouthing the SRX, it is just that with a savings of $8500.00 PLUS 4 or 5 MPG I thought I would give a super loaded Ford Edge a try. The Mark even comes with a trailer hitch.

I will miss all of your great information. You people are the best resources for everything Cadillac.

Thank you :o
‘1791’

c5 rv
02-24-07, 08:41 AM
Let us know how the MKX stacks up. I traded in my truck (still have the SRX) and leased an AWD MKZ on Monday. I currently have about 300 miles on it. I wanted an AWD luxury sedan from either Ford or GM (I get retiree discounts from both) and the decision was between a demo AWD STS and an AWD MKZ. The STS was certainly nicer, but for me as a second DD, not $17K nicer on the sticker.

Comparing the MKZ to the CTS (a fairer comparison than the STS), the CTS comes out on top in a number of areas:

- Seat comfort (make sure you take a long test drive)
- Chassis dynamics and handling (the MKZ reminds you that it's descended from the Mazda 6 and there are suspension clunks on rough roads.)
- The GM 3.6 is much smoother than the Ford 3.5 and appears to have more low end torque. The 3.5 is waking up, though, and I'll see how it performs after the break-in period.
- I like the look of the Cadillac products overall. On the MKX, I especially hate the orthodontia-look of the grille. If that was on the MKZ, I would have walked away.
- A lot of the electronics that come on Cadillacs are missing on the MKZ, like oil life monitor, OnStar, tire pressure monitor, Stabilitrak, etc. Some of these may be on the MKX that is positioned a bit more up-market.

However, the Lincoln has some advantages, some associated with cost:

- Availability of AWD that the current CTS does not have.
- Availability of cooled seats
- Fold down rear seat is standard. Plus, it's activated by two handles just inside the truck lid - very convenient to use when you are loading. You pull the handle and the seat flops down.
- Red does not cost extra.
- MP3 jack in the center console.
- The standard radio sounds better than the Bose in my SRX - especially in the midrange.
- More trunk space and rear seat room.

The Lincoln interior is nice in an updated Town Car sort of way. I have the sand leather with the maple trim. The wood trim us used as a big, think band across the dash and doors rather than on the center stack. It looks like a piece of baseboard or chair rail you'd use at home. The look is different.

Again, enjoy your new ride and keep up informed.

Mike_S_30189
02-24-07, 08:53 AM
Another GM idea - the GMC Acadia. Just picked one up and it a great vehicle. It may be a good option based on your notes. Also, the Buick Enclave is coming out this summer, a little more higher end

dcarr66
02-24-07, 09:47 AM
It looks a lot smaller, at least from the pics I've seen. For $44k I would've looked pretty hard at an Infiniti FX35. You couldn't get one loaded for that price, but you'd have a damn fun car to drive. I test drove one before settling on the SRX - the lack of cargo space in the FX35 really turned me off.

Just my $0.02...

Northern SRX
02-24-07, 11:04 AM
The MKX is a decent looker, IMHO but then again, I'm a huge fan of the early 60s slab-sided Contentintals and the MKX's grille's resemblance to the first years of those Contis works for me.

That being said, the MKX is as tall as the SRX, 3" wider and 8" shorter. Its shorter wheelbase makes for less legroom front and rear and, despite its additional width, it's no roomier inside. By squishing the passengers front to back, though, it manages to provide decent cargo space - personally, I prefer to coddle the passengers. But, for those who appreciate the maneuverability coming from the shorter overall length, the MKX would work better.

As for equipment levels, the MKX is pretty good - but its features are consistent its suspension and powertrain: decent performance but with more of a nod to comfort. It seems to lean more toward the RX350 than the SRX, IMHO.

Not a bad alternative to a V6 SRX but you are definitely giving up interior room (if that matters to you). Frankly, though, it should be discussed as a competitor to a V8 SRX with MRC.

As for the difference in price for an SRX, I thought that's what GM Visa dollars were for... :rolleyes:

Anyway, like the MKX - hope you enjoy your new ride!

GMJim
02-25-07, 08:01 AM
none the less, thanks for buying American

07slade
02-25-07, 11:11 AM
I Love the front and sides of the MKX, And I loved the Zephyr with the waterfall grille, but now there is that strip in the center of the grille and i think it kind of destroys the flow, I drove the MKX 2 weeks ago because my sister owns a lincoln/ford/mercury dealer and she drives a different car every week and she had one and I checked it out and drove it, I think its very powerful and it feels good, not as fast as my escalade but it has good hustle, the back seat downright sucks, the seat cushion is too low and sloped so all of the blood from your thighs flows to your hips and causes your legs to fall asleep and its just no comfortable, but I think the MKX has to be one of my favorite ford products (love the fusion though)... Mike S , Can you post some pics of your acadia? My husband wants an escalade EXT Or ESV but I'm not sure if another 70,000 is in the budget right now, and the acadia/enclave might be the next best thing, and it has more cargo room then my standard escalade . thanks

newby
02-25-07, 03:11 PM

My auto choices are limited because I will only buy American. Some call me a fool, but that is just the way it is for me. This does make going to the auto show quicker for me than most...:alchi:

Now if I could just Frankenstein up a car (or a woman) it would have the back up camera like an Esclade, an interior like a Mercedes, a Porche engine, adaptive headlights like the MRX, auto up and down on all four windows that auto up when I lock the car, navagation that I could set while driving, heads up display, rain sensative wipers front and back, heated washer fluid, heated and cooled seats, one touch moon roof both ways, nav tv, satalite radio like promised with no comercials, automatic seatbelts, remote start with smart temp control, auto folding rear seats that auto un-fold back, 300 or more horse power with 25 MPG, a fifty gallon or larger fuel tank, awd, self parking, bluetooth intagrated phone.

What sucks is that all of these things are available, just not on the ame car.

Tom Wheeler
02-25-07, 04:46 PM
I liked the MKX and the Ford Edge and where among my finalist, and I have had good history with L/M products as my last 4 cars have been Sable LS Wagons. But here are a few reasons why I picked the SRX:

1. Though I liked the interior, dashboard and finish overall in the MKX (the Edge dashboard did not impress me, looked a little kid like). I found the seating a little too high relative to the floor, this of course with the seat in its lowest position. I also thought the seats where a little narrow for a vehicle that is wider than the SRX.

2. The biggest strike against the MKX / Edge for me was the lack of under floor storage behind the second seat. Unlike the SRX where the spare is out side under the vehicle, so with the two row version you have three good sized under floor storage areas. The spare in the MKX / Edge is inside on the rear floor bottom. An inside spare does have some obvious advantages, but now you don’t have any usable under floor storage area. There is available on the Edge and standard on the MKX a “Storage System”, but this is just some very small cubby holes around the spare tire.

3. Price, even though the MSRP of the MKX I looked at $43,000 vs. the $48,000 for my SRX was 5K less, even with employee discounts on both and the same down and mileage, the payment for a 2 year lease was close to a $100/ month more for the MKX. I guess being a new vehicle and no incentives makes the difference.

Because of my hobby of flying very large competitive aerobatic R/C aircraft I took my 42% scale airplane to each dealer to make sure the airframe would fit. The model fit in all of the vehicles I was considering, but keeping to this size crossover, means the front passenger seat has to be reclined and the fuselage takes up the whole length of the interior. So my interior is filled up with fuse, wings and tail surfaces so that is why I need the under floor storage for my support equipment.

Again nothing against the MKX as it was a very nice driving, peppy vehicle with potentially better fuel mileage, and I might have picked it if not for the storage issue. But those who do want the third seat, it’s not available on the MKX or Edge.

In any case, enjoy your new MKX, it is a very nice vehicle.

Tom

Tom Wheeler
02-25-07, 04:51 PM
Sorry, missed sending the first pargraph of my last post, so here it is as intended:

Before I decided on my 07 SRX, I drove, considered and priced many vehicles both domestic and “foreign”. Each of the vehicles I drove at least twice, on differing trips to the dealerships, plus went to the Detroit auto show before making my choice. Living in the Detroit area I have friends that work for all of the big three so I was able to get employee pricing on any of the domestic makes and their foreign partners.

I liked the MKX and the Ford Edge and where among my finalist, and I have had good history with L/M products as my last 4 cars have been Sable LS Wagons. But here are a few reasons why I picked the SRX:

1. Though I liked the interior, dashboard and finish overall in the MKX (the Edge dashboard did not impress me, looked a little kid like). I found the seating a little too high relative to the floor, this of course with the seat in its lowest position. I also thought the seats where a little narrow for a vehicle that is wider than the SRX.

2. The biggest strike against the MKX / Edge for me was the lack of under floor storage behind the second seat. Unlike the SRX where the spare is out side under the vehicle, so with the two row version you have three good sized under floor storage areas. The spare in the MKX / Edge is inside on the rear floor bottom. An inside spare does have some obvious advantages, but now you don’t have any usable under floor storage area. There is available on the Edge and standard on the MKX a “Storage System”, but this is just some very small cubby holes around the spare tire.

3. Price, even though the MSRP of the MKX I looked at $43,000 vs. the $48,000 for my SRX was 5K less, even with employee discounts on both and the same down and mileage, the payment for a 2 year lease was close to a $100/ month more for the MKX. I guess being a new vehicle and no incentives makes the difference.

Because of my hobby of flying very large competitive aerobatic R/C aircraft I took my 42% scale airplane to each dealer to make sure the airframe would fit. The model fit in all of the vehicles I was considering, but keeping to this size crossover, means the front passenger seat has to be reclined and the fuselage takes up the whole length of the interior. So my interior is filled up with fuse, wings and tail surfaces so that is why I need the under floor storage for my support equipment.

Again nothing against the MKX as it was a very nice driving, peppy vehicle with potentially better fuel mileage, and I might have picked it if not for the storage issue. But those who do want the third seat, it’s not available on the MKX or Edge.

In any case, enjoy your new MKX, it is a very nice vehicle.

Tom

keeton
03-01-07, 12:08 PM

If, by "buying American", you mean that the MKX is made in the USA, then, unfortunately, you're wrong. The MKX is built in the same country as the Lexus RX350 (I'll let you look it up. :) )

The SRX is the homey.

TSS
03-01-07, 01:38 PM
When I say "buy American", I mean purchase a car from the Big Three where the final profit stays with the big three.

Purchase a Camry made in the US, and final profit still goes to Japan.

I understand that many big three vehicles are not made here and many "foreign vehicles" are. So, to buy Amewrican means buy from an American company to me.

keeton
03-01-07, 04:04 PM
When I say "buy American", I mean purchase a car from the Big Three where the final profit stays with the big three.

Uh, one of those "Big Three" is a German company.

GMJim
03-01-07, 06:52 PM
Uh, one of those "Big Three" is a German company.

whatever Keeton. You know what we're talkn' bout. Go drive your Sludgemobile & watch your Sony TV.

Smokin' SRX
03-03-07, 04:32 PM
OK, here goes. Give it to me if you have to...

My SRX is about to turn 50,000 miles and that is when I trade in. Right before the factory warranty expires. I had good luck with my loaded v8 awd but the thought of another 50,000 miles with that hump pushing against my right leg would drive me nuts. I actually have a bruise where my calf hits the thing. I thought about going at it with a sledge hammer to see if I can get rid of it.

I looked at the Escalade and liked it but it is too big for where I drive. Also, you would think that a $68,000 vehicle would have auto windows on all four doors, not just the drivers’ door. At least my SRX had it on the front two. I guess it would have cost a small fortune to put auto up on the back windows.

I just traded in my SRX with 45,000 miles and ordered a Lincoln Mark X. The dealer gave me $20,000 real money on the trade and took off $2200 from the sticker. A fully loaded awd Mark X with every option possible except rear DVD lists for $43,800. I got mine for $41,000 minus $20,000 for my trade. I gave the dealer a check for $21,000 plus tax title and plates.

Why didn’t I buy another Caddy? One reason was the hump I mentioned; the other reason was that a ’07 SRX with the same equipment would have cost me $8500.00 more.

I like the Caddy more that the Lincoln, but not $8500.00 more. Plus the thought of 4 or 5 MPG better might feel good too. I have only reset my SRX’s average MPG two or three times in 40,000 miles. It has always given me 12.9 miles per gallon.

I am not bad mouthing the SRX, it is just that with a savings of $8500.00 PLUS 4 or 5 MPG I thought I would give a super loaded Ford Edge a try. The Mark even comes with a trailer hitch.

I will miss all of your great information. You people are the best resources for everything Cadillac.

Thank you :o
‘1791’

I'm in the same boat! My SRX is up in 9 months and we're looking around for a replacement! We only buy "American" so I looked at the MKX crossover vehicle. Pretty nice, but NO phone option (we kept 50 minutes in the "bank" for emergencies) NO power adjustable pedals, No lights on the doors to warn on-coming traffic/lite walk, No On-Star, which "saved my bacon" a few times when late for a wedding/funeral, NO self leveling rear shocks, No HID headlites.

But......(Caddy : take note ) Swiveling headlites, heated REAR seats available, softer seats all around, and an IPOD jack. Again, no rear camera! What's with these LUXO trucks???

Also drove the new Acadia by GMC! Nice! Has all the goods, including available REAR camera and POWER FOLDING side mirrors option! (SRX...still NOT!) But alas.....no rear seat heaters or power pedals option. But the HEAD-UP display is neat!! Too bad the truck's so w i d e ! 5" more than SRX! And 6 " longer! That's GMC Yukon territory! Wife not happy.....garage not happy! But 7 adults fit great!!! We tried it

The 2008 SRX , loaded, is looking better and better!
Got 9 mos. to figure it , out.:crybaby:
Best wishes to the new MKX owners!! What a way to "suffer!":)