: Wanting to add factory rear seat DVD. Help!?

kru
02-24-07, 12:23 AM
I have an 06 SRX on the way. I have already located a factory rear seat entertainment system (RSE). However, I don't have the cable to connect it to the radio.

I might be able to get the plugs with pigtails but I'm not sure. Assuming I do, is it as simple as splicing the like-colored wires together or is there another component between the RSE and the radio that I would also need?

The car is also XM equipped and I believe it uses the same plug as the RSE, so I am assuming, if I do get the pigtails, I would have to pull the relevant RSE-assigned pins out of it and insert them into the existing plug?

If I cannot get the plugs w/ pigtails, does anyone know the harness part number (and any other relevant part numbers) I would need and do you have any idea on price? Or how about just a wiring diagram of the RSE/radio/XM layout?

I'm hoping someone out here has already done this and can be of some assistance, although I did a search and didn't find anything. (Closest thing I found was someone who did a really impressive job tying some extra monitors into the factory RSE system. First things first though...)

-kru

3 posts and counting...

kru
02-27-07, 02:00 PM
The SRX is here. Now the factory rear entertainment system is on the way. Anyone have any experience adding these?

I just had a thought today. I sure hope they use the same console. I was thinking the RSE was just an addition at the back of the console that replaced the storage pocket but maybe this is an inaccurate assumption. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

4 posts and counting...

FarEast
02-27-07, 02:15 PM
I believe you are the first person here to try a mod like that. Most people ether have factory installed Entertaiment System (my case) or install aftermarket units on the backs of the front seats or... simply don't carry kids in the back. To find out if there is a difference between consoles you need to get ahold of body repair info. You could find something like that by going to a "friendly" body shop or purchasing a "parts list" off of a e-bay. If you want I could snap a photo of my console and post it here.
Let us all know how it'd go.

kru
03-02-07, 03:56 PM
I did something today that I should have done before I purchased the rear seat entertainment (RSE) system... I went to the local Cadillac dealer and looked at parts schematics for the console with and without the RSE. There are several differences besides the DVD system itself. I thought I would pass the details along in case anyone else looks at doing this upgrade in the future.

First of all, if you're going to do this, MAKE SURE you get the system out of a car that has the same interior color as yours. I naively thought I'd be able to order the plastic monitor cover in the correct color after the fact. Well I can, but it comes with the screen built in and they want $1496.00 for it. They won't sell the plastic cover separately. So... I'm going to have to have mine dyed or painted. My interior is Ebony and the RSE unit is Dove Gray, so it shouldn't be too bad. (Luckily it wasn't the other way around.)

Although the monitor cover wasn't available in Ebony (unless you call $1500 available), I was able to order the hinge cover for the RSE unit in the correct color. It is GM part number 25762848 and runs $21.47.

You'll also want to try to get the really deep storage bin that hides beneath the tray under the console lid. This is GM part number 89039929 and it's priced at $157.77, which is why I say to make sure you get it from the donor car. This storage bin is abbreviated in length in RSE equipped cars because the DVD player needs some of the space. For that price, I'll probably just cut a section of mine out and patch it. No one is going to see it anyway. It's under a tray, which, in turn, is under the console lid...

There was one more interior-colored part that I was able to order at a reasonable price. The back part of the console is different between the RSE-equipped and non-RSE-equipped vehicles. In non-RSE cars, it is all one piece. I had assumed it was two-piece and that they would have used the same bottom piece in both cars. (I hadn't taken delivery of my SRX before I ordered the RSE, so I didn't have a chance to check personally. Yes, I REALLY should have did what I did today and go to the dealer to see the parts breakdown...) Anyway, the part number for the bottom trim piece at the back of the console for the RSE system is 89039932 and it was $17.49 through the local dealer. I went ahead and ordered it.

Lastly, do whatever you can to get the harness that goes from the RSE back up to the radio. It is GM part number 25771042 for U2S radios. (Unfortunately mine is the U2R but the parts guy told me it should be the same.) I know the navigation equipped cars are different and the parts guy also said something about there possibly being yet another harness for other radio(s) besides U2S and nav. (Sorry, I don't have the part number for nav cars or for the other one.) Anyway, mine was priced at $220.32 through my local dealer. $159.31 (after shipping) through gmpartsdirect. It's still up in the air as to whether or not I'm going to be able to get this part from the donor car. I was told I could at least get the plugs with pigtails from both ends of the harness but they neglected to include those with the RSE unit. I'll keep checking around for a little better price on this harness in case worst comes to worst...

And I don't know if it matters to anyone or if these numbers even mean anything but the parts breakdown for the RSE console was labeled as 6E10-026 and the non-RSE was 6E10-025.

The big question that remains is if this unit is even going to be compatible with my U2R sound system. Technically it wasn't offered with it. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

So that's the progress so far... Yes, yes, yes, it would have paid to have been a little more prepared. Hopefully this info will save someone else a little trouble in the future. I'll try to keep updating this thread as I make more progress.

-Kevin

TSS
03-02-07, 05:24 PM
Wow Kevin, good luck. Don't feel too bad, I would not have thought of things such as the lower console tray being different either.

Is it too late for you to simply abort and get a nice installed non-OEM unit? The whole package installed in my Tahoe was about 700 bucks - and it worked very well. The only thing was that the screen swung down from the roof. This worked with my factory sunroof in the Tahoe, but would not work with the ultraview. And, my rear view mirror vision was hindered when the screen was down. For my SRX, I simply bought a portable Panasonic unit for about 120 bucks - my son loves it, and he can take it into his room, on a plane, etc.

kru
03-02-07, 05:38 PM
If I have to abort I will be offering to sell the whole set-up and someone who has the U2S system will have everything they need. (Except for the storage bin.) I'm not going to dye the unit or cut a chunk out of the storage bin until I know if it's going to work.

It seems like I read somewhere that you can't mount an overhead unit in the SRX because there are no mounting points as a result of having to allow for ultraview. (Whether equipped with that option or not. Mine is not.) But I saw one on eBay not too long ago that had a roof-mounted unit. Anyone have any experience with roof-mounted systems in the SRX?

Worst case, I'll get some headrests with screens and pipe the audio through the factory sound system with an auxiliary input adapter.

FarEast
03-03-07, 11:34 AM
While you have RSE in your hands (literally) could you please look for any model info on a Panasonic DVD player itself? I have another mod project that I've been keeping on a back burner. I have a bunch of european DVDs and I would like to find out if it is possible to "region hack" Panasonic unit. Since they sell SRX in Europe there's a possibility that it is a simple operation like key combination or hidden menu but I need more info on a actual player to proceed and I'm too hesitatant to take my wife's car apart :).

kru
03-03-07, 12:46 PM
This unit is from a 2005 SRX. The DVD drive was manufactured in August of 2004. The model # is 10377706. The reference # on the same tag is CN-SG8463ZC. There is another tag with a reference # of CNVG8464ZCK2.

kru
03-03-07, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know which pin is power and which is ground on this unit??

I got to thinking last night... even if I can't get it hooked up to my U2R, if I can get power and ground to the unit, it can still be used. Granted, with headphones only, but I wouldn't mind that in the least. I've never had the need to watch a DVD in the car myself and have no strong desire to listen to the kinds of movies my kids would be watching anyway. :thepan:

So I guess that is my worst case scenario now...

yourgmsolutions
03-03-07, 02:43 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/tmp/srx-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/tmp/srx-1.gif

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/tmp/srx.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/tmp/srx.gif

kru
03-19-07, 07:20 PM
Excellent! Thank you very much. I had found another thread on this website that indicated which pin was which but it didn't show where pin 1 was. Doesn't do much good to have pin-out information if I don't know which order the pins are numbered in... :)

I am curious though. Do you know if the wiring information is different for the U2S radio? Your diagram indicates U2V, U2X and U2Y next to most of the wires. I know Rear Seat Audio was an option with the U2S radios too. In fact, the harness that travels the length of the console has a different part number from the nav radio version. So that makes me wonder if it just has extra wires (basically making the C2 connector un-necessary) because of the need to share signals back and forth to display on two screens OR if the pin-outs would be completely different. I would think they would have used the same DVD system for the nav and non-nav vehicles but GM has done stranger things...

I am also a little concerned about pin 5, labeled as the Class II data wire. Does anyone know if the DVD system is VIN-assigned (like the radios)? I certainly hope not, as I'm not looking forward to spending yet another $30-$60 to get this thing programmed at the dealership.

I will post progress as I make it...

kru
04-26-07, 03:52 PM
Now this is starting to get techinical...

I hooked up power and ground and the DVD player still doesn't work. So... I am thinking the Class 2 Serial Data wire (pin 5 on C1) DOES have to be hooked up.

So now I'm wondering... Can I splice this Class 2 data wire into any class 2 data wire in the car? Or does the signal to the DVD player have to originate from a specific place?

Just to give you some more background; I do not have the complete RSE harness, just the plugs with pigtails. (Which is why I only have power and ground wires connected at the moment.) My plan (since I don't have the complete harness) was to just provide power to the DVD unit and use it as a stand-alone. Audio would not be fed back to the radio (unless I get really ambitious) and the kids would just use the headphones if they want to listen to it. I know there are other alternatives but this method is actually just fine with me. My kids aren't going to be watching anything I want to listen to and I doubt I'll be climbing in my back seat to watch a movie any time soon...

Anyone know if I can just tap into any old Serial 2 wire???

kru
04-26-07, 04:03 PM
Here are pictures I found of the pin-outs for the C1 and C2 connectors, by the way....

http://replacementradios.com/images/srx-dvd-c1.gif

http://replacementradios.com/images/srx-dvd-c2.gif

billykid65
05-02-08, 01:21 PM
wow thanks for all the info cause i was looking to do the same thing on my 04 srx. just wanted to see if it was possible. still thinking about doing it, so keep us posted on ur decision. thank

kru
05-02-08, 02:09 PM
I aborted and decided on aftermarket. Hopefully all the information I obtained will help some other folks though. I decided I didn't want to pony up for the harness and then tear my dash apart. I'll leave that to the professionals...

I have some RSE specific trim pieces available now. I believe I have them in tan (used) and dark gray (new). I'll sell the new ones for the same price I paid for them (I believe that was indicated in a previous post). I'll sell the used ones at half that price. That saves someone making a trip to a dealer and special-ordering them...

I also have a factory RSE DVD/LCD unit in tan. It is a new take-out with the plastic still on the screen. I'd let it go for $350 shipped.

justonemac
04-29-09, 01:00 PM
I have just purchased an '04 SRX, and was concidering this. In fact I bought it thinking I would try this. My question is...
Does anyone know of an aftermarke unit that fits in that location?

randyfield
04-29-09, 02:53 PM
Just a little infor for anyone installing dvd systems in the SRX. First off, Kru, if you do end up going through with the RSE system, can you please let me know how much the final total was? My wife and I were looking into getting some type of dvd system for our kids. Purchased an overhead system(no ultra view), dropped it off to be installed......after leaving our poor car there for an entire day, come to find out SRXs, or at least the 2004 model year does not have anywhere under the headliner to mount the thing to. Most cars have a brace running from one door pillar to the other, usually right across where the dome light would be, but in the 04 SRX, the only place to mount an overhead dvd player would be for the 3rd row viewers. I think we are going to go with the factory matching headrest dvd monitors. Anyone installed those yourselves? Anything to it?

Bag302
05-01-09, 09:45 AM
I just bought this set up for our new (to us) 2004. Installed it Monday night after work. Quality is excellent - exceeded my expectations. Very versatile. Kid loves it. I got the tan and it is a very, very good match. I'll take pics soon.

http://www.onfair.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/6734384/vpcsid/0/SFV/32524"]http://www.onfair.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/6734384/vpcsid/0/SFV/32524

Sorry, this is my first post and I'm not allowed to attach links yet. please copy & paste.

coqui007
07-11-11, 02:19 PM
Do you still have that unit? My kid broke the LCD in my SRX RSE DVD