: Retracting side step's On EXT

grantwest
02-24-07, 01:17 AM
I have the electric retracting side steps on my EXT. Every once in a while they dont open or close. They either dont open or they open and then they stay open.

Here is what will happen. You open the door and the step just stay's in the up position. You get in and close the door and then you can hear or feel the step try to close or go up but the step is all ready up so it just makes a noise like its doing somthing but nothing happens. Becasue its somthing that dosent happen all the time or I cant predict when or if its gonna happen how should I get my dealer to fix it.?

In the picture I have the door opend just to show the step I know the step will not go in unless the door is fully closed

hcvone
02-24-07, 07:19 AM
Of course if the dealer can not see it when it happens it's tough to fix, but it maybe something as simple as an adjustment, it would be worth a dealer visit

tmclaug1
02-24-07, 10:50 AM
Also ck with the dealer for a software update, I think some one else's was having the same problem and that did the trick. I like the retracting steps and plan to order them on my 08.

grantwest
02-24-07, 12:28 PM
Ok Thanks 4 the tip's Ill ask about the software update. Seems to easy to be true. And its nothing thats gonna log on a data error log so the dealer can see whats going on.

LLT
02-24-07, 03:00 PM
Actually, it will throw a code if it's a computer problem (and nearly everything on the 07 is controlled by a computer module, even the windows) so don't rule that out.

They made a change to those steps in November that added a 5 second delay. After that, they've had a few issues - last I knew, one was waiting on an engineering fix. Would be worth taking your dealer, for sure.

Good luck.

grantwest
02-24-07, 03:43 PM
My Dad's 07 Esclade the retracting steps retract right away. My do have the 5 second delay. His steps have not had a problem so that makes perfict sence.
My build date was in late november so what your saying also makes sence. Thanks 4 your reply

tombstonemkr
02-28-07, 04:31 PM
I am having a problem with my power running boards also.
I picked up my 07 escalade on jan 25.
My problem started that night. The boards have a mind of their own sometimes they work some times they donít. I have been to the dealership 4 times (I have a pregnant wife she cant climb in an out) There is no fix. Even in the dealership it did not work. I have a case with GM that is now closed until there is a fix available, and they wonít buy back my truck. I have made efforts to try to have GM uninstall the power running boards and install stock ones but they won't change it until there is a fix. I am so upset with GM and I cannot believe the response they are giving me is call "the better business bureau". I have been a loyal Caddie customer for 10 years now... and I am getting the cold shoulder. I have had 2 case managers who will not let me speak to there managers. I have hit a brick wall I found this website searching for others with the same problem. Gm claims to be working on a fix but it has been a extremely long 35 days. I now carry a 3 step ladder for my wife to get into the truck, it is very embarrassing using a step ladder for your wife to get into a 70k truck.

I see that there are more of us out there. if anybody has any ideas for me please pm me or reply

slingshot
03-01-07, 01:33 PM
I have the electric retracting side steps on my EXT. Every once in a while they dont open or close. They either dont open or they open and then they stay open.

Here is what will happen. You open the door and the step just stay's in the up position. You get in and close the door and then you can hear or feel the step try to close or go up but the step is all ready up so it just makes a noise like its doing somthing but nothing happens. Becasue its somthing that dosent happen all the time or I cant predict when or if its gonna happen how should I get my dealer to fix it.?

In the picture I have the door opend just to show the step I know the step will not go in unless the door is fully closed

I am having EXACTLY the same problem. The boards will come out about 75-80% when the door is opened. I brought the truck in to the dealership, and they worked fine! Have you found any solutions to the problem yet? This problem is really starting to suck.

Salo
04-28-07, 09:57 AM
Guys, I don't think these are run by the software. I personally have the fix steps, but I wouldn't mind having the electric ones. Here is a link for the manufacturer and provider of these boards, maybe those with the problem should talk to the maker. http://www.electricstep.com/eshop/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=3

Pherward
08-23-07, 09:55 PM
Any update on this issue. I have the same one with my '07 escalade??

hcvone
08-24-07, 07:45 AM
Moving to the 2007 section. :)

hcvone
08-24-07, 07:47 AM
I was going to get them on my replacement Escalade, glad my dealer talk me out of them

gforceext
08-25-07, 03:35 PM
No problems at all with mine. I have heard of people having problems though.

greatcir
08-25-07, 11:50 PM
Since AMP Research makes the steps, wonder if it's worth a call to them to see if it might be in their "anti-pinch" sensor? Or maybe a bad feed from the switch in the vehicle that can disable the steps?

Mine work perfect on my 07 Lade so far. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pete

808e
09-01-07, 07:10 PM
Contact the Better Business Bureau. I've used them for a problem I've had with another vehicle's transmission. I had the run-around for quite some time, then decided to try BBB as recommended by a friend. Make sure you document/take notes of your events. Once BBB stepped in, they contacted GM Corporate, who then contacted my local GM dealer's Gen Mgr and Service Mgr. In no time did they inform me that I would receive a brand new tranny; and I did. BBB will followup and demand action when necessary. I can't guarantee that it'll be the same, but my only experience with BBB was great. Good luck!

ARTSBEST
09-03-07, 12:38 AM
4X and STILL no response to your problem? Don't you have a "lemon law" in your state?

BklynEXT
09-04-07, 12:37 AM
Got my EXT in April of 07 no problems yet.

nofinga911
09-04-07, 09:32 PM
are these steps an option at the dealership? Because no one mentioned anything to me about them when I got my 07' ext.

bryand178
09-08-07, 03:04 AM
I had the same problem on my ESV back in January. I raised hell about it so they gave me free maintenance for 4 years or 60k miles. There is an update for the software. Go to the dealer and get the update. Since I got the update, I haven't had 1 problem with the steps, or any other parts of the car for that matter (hopefully I never do again...that was hella irritating. A damm brand new but broken $72K car). It's all good now though:thumbsup:

biglg
08-28-08, 05:44 PM
WEll I have the broken 70k vehicle now.

Is the only one that has found a fix bryand178? Just the software update? They did mine and they still work when they want. This is irritating. My dealership cant find anything and they said they did a software update. Help Please.