: is it a crime to mod an all orignal 72 Eldorado?

n3rdcore
03-19-04, 07:41 PM
I just bought a 72 Eldorado, in excellent condition, all original... and i have mixed feelings about doing anything to it. I'm going to tint the windows, but beyond that I am hesitant as every single thing on the car is stock...

opinions? :bonkers:

Budabear
03-19-04, 09:16 PM
I would do any more than possibly the wheels and tint.

elwesso
03-19-04, 11:21 PM
If it were me, I wouldnt mod it at all.. Or at least stuff that wouldnt take much work to get it back to orginal (wheels, tint, and minor stereo is ok IMO) However, its your car so you make it how you want it...

Elvis
03-19-04, 11:47 PM
leopardskin! ;)

seriously, I wouldn't mod it. I'd spend the money trying to restore it to like-new again.

Ralph
03-20-04, 02:56 AM
Collectors, etc will always look for originality, not someones fantasy! I wouldn't touch it! If you can sell it for a fair amount of money don't alter it, if you can't (which I doubt) THEN mod it to your hearts desire, after all, it's yours. What kinda mileage and condition are we talking about here?

elwesso
03-20-04, 08:30 AM
I agree with elvis. Any monies should be spend making it perfect to PERRRFECT!! :D

I still dont have anything against some minor mods, but thats just me. Never owned a vintage car, and dont really know what the market sect is like. But I would assume that only a VERY small portion would look for something that has mods..

Just remember, whatever you do BE SURETO KEEP THE ORIGINAL PARTS. This includes stuff like hoses, engine stuff, etc.....

El Dobro
03-20-04, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't modify an original either. Some people would kill for for it. My personal opinion.

Pimpin_Whity
03-20-04, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't modify an original either. Some people would kill for for it. My personal opinion.
who cares what other people would kill for. make it like you want it to be and be happy!

Ralph
03-20-04, 10:38 PM
I agree with elvis. Any monies should be spend making it perfect to PERRRFECT!! :D

I still dont have anything against some minor mods, but thats just me. Never owned a vintage car, and dont really know what the market sect is like. But I would assume that only a VERY small portion would look for something that has mods..

Just remember, whatever you do BE SURETO KEEP THE ORIGINAL PARTS. This includes stuff like hoses, engine stuff, etc.....

Good point about the ORIGINAL re-production parts, I should have mentioned that.

3rdcore, you were wondering about the R12, etc. in your AC. Checkout one of my earlier threads called "My AC is Blowing Warm Air." There is good info there from people who have been through all that mess. The condenser will have to be smaller I think also, so the new freon may work better at higher speeds, but will still be adequately cool at lower rpm.

n3rdcore
03-21-04, 01:09 AM

Keep the original HOSES??? Really??? To me that seems a bit excessive, especially if i blow a hose. To me "all original" meant all the major stuff: i.e. body, engine, drive train, interior (everything inc. locks, radio, broken analog clock :), paint, vinyl top, etc. etc.. When I think hoses, I think oil filter, fan belts, etc. And I highly doubt after 30 years this thing has any of those original.

Right now I'm thinking of only doing things that can be instantly, and flawlessly put back to stock. Like rims/tires, window tint, new sound system but not taking out the orig 8 track, just soft-mounting a new head unit somewhere.

Anyway thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna post some pictures of her tomorrow. :coolgleam

Ralph
03-21-04, 01:23 AM
Keep the original HOSES??? Really??? To me that seems a bit excessive, especially if i blow a hose. To me "all original" meant all the major stuff: i.e. body, engine, drive train, interior (everything inc. locks, radio, broken analog clock :), paint, vinyl top, etc. etc.. When I think hoses, I think oil filter, fan belts, etc. And I highly doubt after 30 years this thing has any of those original.

Right now I'm thinking of only doing things that can be instantly, and flawlessly put back to stock. Like rims/tires, window tint, new sound system but not taking out the orig 8 track, just soft-mounting a new head unit somewhere.

Anyway thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna post some pictures of her tomorrow. :coolgleam

I just assumed that Wes meant "re-production" type original parts? Maybe I was wrong. Things like hoses just deteriorate with time anyway, IMO.

Can't wait to see the pics! Will you put them here or the pic section?

n3rdcore
03-21-04, 01:39 AM
i'll put the pics both here and in the pics board.

elwesso
03-21-04, 09:45 AM
The only reason I say this is to KEEP THE ORIGINAL PARTS is because if you show a collector a boxfull of stock, original parts that is more proof that it was really taken care of and things were done right!!!

Budabear
03-21-04, 01:06 PM
:coolgleam
I think you ahve the right idea. You could always leave the original sound system and just get yourself a trunk mounted CD that attaches to your original sound system. That way the only interior change is a CD controller that you can mount out of site.

brougham
03-21-04, 01:44 PM
The only reason I say this is to KEEP THE ORIGINAL PARTS is because if you show a collector a boxfull of stock, original parts that is more proof that it was really taken care of and things were done right!!!

It's not really proof of that but if you change things like the carb or the intake keeping things like that is usually a good idea if they could be used again. The only real reason to keep old hoses and fan belts and things like that would be if someone was really anal about it and wanted to get replacement ones that are exactly the same.

n3rdcore
03-21-04, 04:38 PM
Here she is...

Ralph
03-21-04, 10:21 PM
Here she is...

Damn!! That car is beautiful!! You'd better NOT mod it! Even with the dog dish hubcaps it looks great because it has such low miles, it just fits the car. Anything else for rims would not look natural IMO.

I can't get over how nice it looks in California! Those trees, you take for granted, make it look like some sort of tropical island. :bighead:

Pimpin_Whity
03-21-04, 10:29 PM
WOW, that car is beautiful. i thout it wouldnt be in such good condition and all original. i would put different rims, but it's going to be hard picking the right ones.

Ralph
03-21-04, 10:58 PM
WOW, that car is beautiful. i thout it wouldnt be in such good condition and all original. i would put different rims, but it's going to be hard picking the right ones.

:devil: No way Dude! With the ORIGINAL hubs, he will probably turn more heads and get more respect BECAUSE they are the originals, and it wouldn't be hard to discern that fact. :want:

If you did put mags on it, it would just look like any other old car that was "probably restored." With orig. components showing, people may realize you got something special here! And you do! Be proud it is original, and show it off that way! People might also realize it is the original paint, which I assume it is? It is most likely not easy to get those hubs in that condition, for that year, and anyone with half a brain will respect them on the car when they see it on the street. What's the point of having a low mileage car if you are going to mod it? Get a higher mileage car for any mods! I guess I'm a purist. ;)

Elvis
03-22-04, 10:46 AM
Sweet!

I wouldn't mod it at all, except maybe a concealed sound system. Leave the stock unit in the dash.

And maybe if you can find a NOS steering wheel that hasn't cracked. Whenever I look at old cars like that, the first thing I'm checking for is a cracked steering wheel. 95% of the GM cars you see from the 70's and early 80's have a Wal-Mart steering wheel cover.

tru504187211
03-22-04, 02:07 PM
I would have said new rims and tint, but after seeing it...NOTHING should be done, maybe fix the clock :)

D148L0
03-22-04, 02:12 PM
Sweet!

I wouldn't mod it at all, except maybe a concealed sound system. Leave the stock unit in the dash.
Same opinion.

elwesso
03-22-04, 06:05 PM
I agree. YOU HAD BETTER NOT MOD IT. I can ban you, 3 clicks and its over! :D :D

Seriously, it comes down to it being your car, but IMO it would be a waste of a rare car.....

CADDYBLACK99
03-22-04, 06:10 PM
I wanted to see it before giving my opinoin. It looks to be in nearly perfect shape! These cars pay when they are in "showroom" condition. If it were mine I would restore this to its original beauty! Great car!
:D

n3rdcore
03-23-04, 12:32 AM
yeah the steering wheel is really cracked up. those types go quick tho. i had an 84 buick back in like 92 with the same wheel and it was already toast when i got it.

yes it is the original paint, but a few scratches here and there, nothing big. it's showing a bit of wear near the trunk key hole but everywhere else it's very well maintained.

and, tru504187211, how did you know the clock didn't work? :p , i'd really like to fix it...

thanks for all the great comments! after hearing your responses i'm not even sure i'm gonna tint the windows anymore... it's definately getting a nice concealed sound system though. :D

Ralph
03-23-04, 12:40 AM
yeah the steering wheel is really cracked up. those types go quick tho. i had an 84 buick back in like 92 with the same wheel and it was already toast when i got it.

yes it is the original paint, but a few scratches here and there, nothing big. it's showing a bit of wear near the trunk key hole but everywhere else it's very well maintained.

and, tru504187211, how did you know the clock didn't work? :p , i'd really like to fix it...

thanks for all the great comments! after hearing your responses i'm not even sure i'm gonna tint the windows anymore... it's definately getting a nice concealed sound system though. :D

It's pretty unanimous! Leave her original. ;) You got a real beauty there! I personally don't like black, but on yours it awsome! Every time I see an old early 70's movie like Shaft or Dirty Harry, THOSE are the cool cars you see with hubs like that!! WAAAAY COOL! :cool: :worship: Keep it in the time-capsule as much as possible, and I bet it will be worth a small fortune, if it isn't already?!

I don't think any cars in the early 1970's had tinted windows. Toward the end of the decade, however, some full sized vans like my Dad's 1978 Econoline had full-tint on all the back and side windows, a plus when going camping, and you needed to change clothes.

MongoloidElvis
04-01-04, 02:48 PM
here's my opinion. when your in your car your sitting behind the largest gm production engine ever made and did you know it weighs less than a chevy 454. I think you should mod the hell out of it. 70s eldo hardtops aren't in high demand anyway if you payed 4000 for it your damn crazy. But what people dont understand is that with little work you can have a true hot rod on your hands. check out 500cid.com they have everything imaginable to rod your 500. I'd say mod the hell out of it. My 71 eldoRODo does the quarter in 11.4. Its a sweet feeling to pull up to a corvette, etc and blow its doors off. If you need anymore advice or are interested in what ive said feel free to email me at mongoloidelvis@yahoo.com

Pimpin_Whity
04-01-04, 06:40 PM
here's my opinion. when your in your car your sitting behind the largest gm production engine ever made and did you know it weighs less than a chevy 454. I think you should mod the hell out of it. 70s eldo hardtops aren't in high demand anyway if you payed 4000 for it your damn crazy. But what people dont understand is that with little work you can have a true hot rod on your hands. check out 500cid.com they have everything imaginable to rod your 500. I'd say mod the hell out of it. My 71 eldoRODo does the quarter in 11.4. Its a sweet feeling to pull up to a corvette, etc and blow its doors off. If you need anymore advice or are interested in what ive said feel free to email me at mongoloidelvis@yahoo.comNow that's cool. if u mod the engine and drivetrain only and leave the exterior stock then you will have lots of fun :devil:

Kansas-Cadillac
04-01-04, 08:14 PM
Here she is...
That's a beautiful car!

You own it, so of course you can do whatever you want to it.

However, I wouldn't do anything to it, except maybe a CD changer in the truck and a control up front and the tinted windows.

It's rare to find a car that old that's so nice and all original.

If you want to mod something, why not buy something that isn't so nice and original?

BTW: mountains, palm trees, stucco homes w/ tile roofs... you must live in paradise! (And with that sun, I would think tinted windows are a must.)

Ralph
04-07-04, 03:09 AM
here's my opinion. when your in your car your sitting behind the largest gm production engine ever made and did you know it weighs less than a chevy 454. I think you should mod the hell out of it. 70s eldo hardtops aren't in high demand anyway if you payed 4000 for it your damn crazy. But what people dont understand is that with little work you can have a true hot rod on your hands. check out 500cid.com they have everything imaginable to rod your 500. I'd say mod the hell out of it. My 71 eldoRODo does the quarter in 11.4. Its a sweet feeling to pull up to a corvette, etc and blow its doors off. If you need anymore advice or are interested in what ive said feel free to email me at mongoloidelvis@yahoo.com

No way Dude!! The previous owners took care to keep the miles off it, and made sure it remained original and beautiful! I still say he can get a beater Eldo and redo it to his hearts desire! To mess with this car would be like spilling your chocolate milkshake all over the Shroud of Turin, and trying to wash it out with your 7 UP drink! Just not worth it! :rolleyes: Not logical Spock. :tisk:

68CoupeDeVille
10-04-04, 06:20 PM
Do what you want. It's you car. Don't give too much weight to other's opinions.

If you want to collect it, then keep it stock. Don't forget that capital gains taxes on collectibles is 28% though, should you ever sell it.

If you want to mod it, go for it. It's your car and it's gonna be so long before it appreciates in value to be worth anything as a real collector's car. They just made too many of 'em for there to be a real seller's market within the next decade.

My '68 has already had some body work done on it by the previous owner to fix rust spots so I've given up on keeping it stock. As the money comes so will my mods.

Ralph
10-04-04, 09:54 PM
Don't give too much weight to other's opinions.

Then by this logic, your opinion means nothing also :hmm:

65calais1
10-29-04, 09:44 PM
I'd leave it original, heck your car looks brand new. It dont need nothing done to it, leave it original. There wasn't that many eldos made.

PhillyCaddy
10-31-04, 04:56 PM
it is your car so do as you please, but the only thing I would do to the car is restore only what needs to be restored. but as for any other mods. :tisk:
That is a great looking car you have there. good luck which ever way you go.

Insomniac
11-23-04, 12:42 AM
yes, it is a crime.

DeVillish
11-27-04, 09:54 AM
iam all about hot rod caddies, and an 11 sec fwd eldo is just badass. But, dude, that car is just so sweet stock. If you feel the need for a hot rod, just pic up another! Nothin better then having a rod for sat night and a cruizer for sunday afternoon.

ShadowLvr400
11-27-04, 10:56 AM
Even I have mixed feelings, and I'm a modification junkie. That car is in excellent shape from the pictures. If you think you'll ever sell it, don't mod it. If you plan on keeping it till you or the car are ready for the junk heap, mod as you choose. I'd lean slightly towards modding it, but not sure what I'd do. Maybe some internal engine tweaking, wheels and tires... I'd kinda want to do a full disc brake conversion... See, I get carried away quick.

Adam
11-27-04, 07:20 PM
throw some 20 inch wire wheels (22s if they fit) on it and a nice sound system. that would be just about all i would do.

Breakdancin11
12-11-04, 04:37 AM
Thats a beauty I wouldnt do anything to it except the tint and a system but I got to have my bumps

-Jp