: Wandering steering?

thefred
02-23-07, 02:55 PM
This morning as I was driving to work today, it felt like the car was wandering on me. It didn't require any significant corrective sterring, but it just seemed to be wandering a bit. I could feel it in the seat of the pants gyro. I was just going in a straight line about 40 mph. And it wasn't for just an instant. It continued all the way to work. Anyone experience this before?
And no, there was no :alchi: involved!

Davidstan
02-23-07, 03:19 PM
I have not experienced that at all but i do wish the steering was a tad heavier. The mags mentioned it also. Seems too light to me.

Berger 93
02-23-07, 04:35 PM
Did it occur after hitting a dip with one rear tire? . . . . cause mine does that.

thefred
02-23-07, 05:39 PM
Did it occur after hitting a dip with one rear tire? . . . . cause mine does that.
I saw your post about that and thought about jumping on there, but the issue is a bit different. And, no, there was no dip or pothole.....

Silver Dollar
02-25-07, 04:47 PM
Was it windy? I find my car to be very susceptible to wander in strong winds.

thefred
02-25-07, 05:09 PM
No wind. But, it has seemed much better this weekend. Maybe it was just a quirk....

ssstealth
03-02-07, 10:05 PM
I think the major factor in this behavior is the run-flat tires. The stiff side wall and wide tire combination just don't allow for any flex over minor road ripples.

I am trying a set of non run-flats next time to test this theory.

thefred
03-02-07, 10:22 PM
I think the major factor in this behavior is the run-flat tires. The stiff side wall and wide tire combination just don't allow for any flex over minor road ripples.

I am trying a set of non run-flats next time to test this theory.

It seems to be much better. What pressure are you guys running in the tires ..and is that to be measured cold? Also, without runflats, will you then be carrying a spare?

WillySTS
03-03-07, 03:19 AM
My car is very steady, at low and high speeds. I don't seem to notice if the steering seems light or heavy...it doesn't matter to me. I had a race driver on my race team once that taught me a lot( I was one of the drivers also).We put the steering wheel on in a hurry after doing some work to the car and so the wheel was on crooked. He never new the difference. And after that, we had a crash during the race( a 24 hour enduro of showroom stock vehicles) the frame rail was rubbing against the steering shaft and NOBODY complained! We took 3rd in the race even with the crash!...Point is, who cares how the steering feels, but what does it DO...no bash, just a point of view.

Back to the issue...I changed over to nitrogen in my tires so that the tire pressures do not fluctuate so much, and so that I can run it lower pressures (29-31 PSI) consistently for a little better ride and less maintenance( nitrogen doesn't leak out so much due to larger molecules. No handling issues have ever been noticed at any time except for the natural fault of the car that it doesn't have enough forward grip(understeers too much). But just don't push it so hard and it is fine.