: Stock subwoofer replacement

heavypedal
02-23-07, 12:27 PM
starting a separate thread from Chev4life's bose system thread....

I want to replace that krappy Bose subwoofer. So my question is, has anyone with a CTS (V or not V) replaced it with an aftermarket 10" sub and kept the same stock amplifier? Anyone know the ohm rating by chance?

Someone pointed out the Earthquake SWS's (very slim subwoofers with inverted coils). Very cool, but a little more dinero than what I want to spend on a simple stereo upgrade. I was also looking at Crutchfield's "free-air" selection... looking at the RF Punch.

Will look at sound-dampening the back deck too. RP pointed me at some Rammat which looks great for larger applications, but I think I'll buy square chucks of dynamat just for the back deck.

T

v-ape
02-23-07, 01:16 PM
I've been askin about a sub upgrade on this stereo forum i visit. The only problem is its full of eThugs, so getting a straight answer takes time, but these kids know their stereo systems. I'll let you know what I hear.

One recomendation was to put a solobaric kicker on the rear deck and make a very small enclosure behind it. There were concerns that the stock amp may not be able to push it to the limit, thats something to think about, but I'd like to keep my car as stock as possible.

I'm not sure what the rating on the speaker is, but I would guess 4 Ohms.

heavymetals
02-23-07, 01:16 PM
Yes to both, but I added another amp to drive the sub.

Since you can't get a line level output from the BOSE, the additional amp has to have a high power (speaker level) input.

The bose sub is a joke.

I had to increase the hole about 0.250" so the new sub (Infinity) would fit.

lawfive
02-23-07, 03:38 PM
Ditto Heavymetal's post, but I went Kicker Comp 10". And had to drive it with an external amp, too. Muy pleased.

RunningOnEMT
02-23-07, 04:12 PM
i just reboxed my 10" JL w7v2 in a ported box ....800x1 monoblock amp

should be just enough to put kong back in the trunk

C-TX-V
02-23-07, 04:19 PM
Try partsexpress dot com. They have tons of speaker options. If you retain the stock amp, I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a sub...search for this part number on partsexpress...293-302

if you go with an amp...then you have tons of options...my personal choice is this part number...293-305

heavypedal
02-23-07, 06:22 PM
Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have sold my JL and old Kicker amp!

heavypedal
02-23-07, 06:25 PM
Anybody have any pics of their subs?

heavypedal
02-23-07, 06:33 PM
I'd love to do it right (build a sub enclosure), but I still want the ability to stuff luggage and dead bodies in the trunk. Plus, I fold down the seats all the time with Lowes and Home Depot visits. Plus, going to get a full spare...so that hole is all used up (no sexual explicit jokes guys).

I still have huge 6 channel amp, but was planning to use that later to power the rest of the speakers. Oh well, I could probably get a line level adapter to get the input down to preamp. Then run into the amp that I could mount upside down under the back deck.

T

heavymetals
02-23-07, 06:42 PM
Here is a pic:

valdeztke
02-23-07, 07:02 PM
Here is a pic:

Looks good! Where you located?

Maybe I can have Cpt Tootall on here help me pick a W7 and rig it in the trunk...

heavymetals
02-23-07, 07:15 PM
Southern Calif.

I have more pics.
Pm me with your email address and I wil send them if you want.

The shelf has enough room to mount the amp(s) so you don't lose trunk space.

valdeztke
02-23-07, 08:41 PM

ssmith100
02-23-07, 08:41 PM
"Search" is your friend.

Shane

chev4life
02-24-07, 12:34 AM
Wow...I guess my post got branched. Some of those sub mountings look pretty good...but how did you get the signal from the stock system to run the aftermarket amp?

heavymetals
02-24-07, 02:58 AM
With the BOSE system you need to add an amplifier that has a high level (spkr) input as the BOSE dosen't give a line level out.

Duck soup.

For power I spliced into the power wiring going to the fuse boxes under the rear seat.

Black Sunshine
02-24-07, 05:26 AM
"Search" is your friend.

Shane

Becoming a supporting member is devine.

LV_V
05-12-07, 05:04 PM
Bringing back a dead thread.

Looking for the answer to this question: What are the ohms of the stock speakers & subwoofer?

GMBOUND
05-12-07, 08:14 PM
i just reboxed my 10" JL w7v2 in a ported box ....800x1 monoblock amp

should be just enough to put kong back in the trunk

What size box do you have? Mines is only slightly large:thehand:

The Tony Show
05-12-07, 08:28 PM
Holy Bass, Batman! I'll bet you speed up 5mph when that thing hits, don't you? :D

GMBOUND
05-12-07, 08:36 PM
Yep, I have Dynamat to keep the rattles away and velcro to keep the box still.
If I let a seat down It sounds like I'm in a bass Chamber.
But its' only a 10" woofer, just requires a huge box.
That's why I was asking Igotmeav what size box did he put his in.

dvandentop
05-13-07, 12:43 PM
anyone selling the stock sub? i need one for my car

let me know

thebigjimsho
05-13-07, 12:49 PM
What size box do you have? Mines is only slightly large:thehand:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/30834d1179015551-stock-subwoofer-replacement-cts-v-delivery-009-wince-.jpgYeah, that thing freaks me out. It's like I'm looking at a large alien eyeball...

heavypedal
05-14-07, 12:02 PM
not sure on the stock speakers, but I read somewhere here that the stock subwoofer is rated at 1 ohm and only has about 25 watts going to it(i.e. No chance for a simple sub-swap...would be worthless). So waiting for a line level adapter (like Rockford Fosgate's 3-Sixty), amp, and sub purchase...though that is low on the list. Or going ghetto and getting a line-in preamp to a small sub amp and sub.

T

Poopie D
05-14-07, 12:12 PM
For the high level input, can you just tap into the two wires going to the sub or do you have to pull the signal from somewhere else?

LV_V
05-14-07, 12:59 PM
For the high level input, can you just tap into the two wires going to the sub or do you have to pull the signal from somewhere else?
Yes, you just need to tap into the speaker wires going to the sub. Then either run a line-level converter to convert the signal to RCA's, or use an amp with high-level inputs and put the speaker wires directly into the amp.

Miller
05-14-07, 08:40 PM
Hvy---Just another inexpensive option to consider-

Kicker makes a small amp/sub/single 10 vented box matched to your speaker selection---plenty of base and does not overpower the factory unit--you will have to turn down the bass. It will keep your factory interior intact. If you mount the amp on the back of the rear seat-the box has quick disconnects(only two wires) for ease of box removal if you need more cargo space. I can still fit suitcases and a set of golf clubs in the trunk with the box in place. Box sub and amp approx $500 with install at your local shop.

MWD
05-15-07, 09:23 AM
Heavy, I bought a Kicker free-air 10" buy one get free. Once I get the MDF template cut out like Shane, I was going to offer it here on the forum free with donation to cadillacfaq.com. I will probably use a spare sub-amp that has speaker level inputs, but I expect to work OK with the stock amp.

Michael

WheelHop
05-30-07, 11:36 AM
Then either run a line-level converter to convert the signal to RCA's, or use an amp with high-level inputs and put the speaker wires directly into the amp.

Anyone know the part number to this converter for a CTS V navi system?

-I know, i'm lazy :D

LV_V
05-30-07, 05:26 PM
Anyone know the part number to this converter for a CTS V navi system?

-I know, i'm lazy :D
I have 2 that I just pulled from my install. They are made by David Navone Engineering and run about $20+shipping. PM me an offer if you're interested.

WheelHop
05-31-07, 12:07 AM
I haven't got a car yet, but I'll PM you when I finally find one!