: TPS with two sets of tires

Ak Jim
02-23-07, 03:01 AM
Hi, are there any issues with having two sets of tires, summer/winter and having pressure sensors in each set? I would think it would only require reprogramming when switching. Now, to complicate things just a bit. What if you used one of the "off season" tires for a spare? Then there would be five sensors on the car. I would assume once again a reprogramming is all that would be required, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Jon
02-23-07, 03:24 AM
I think you're correct.

rand49er
02-23-07, 05:01 AM
Yup. Reprogramming will do it. I have the exact same situation.

tedcmiller
02-23-07, 07:34 AM
This issue has been discussed many times in this forum. The bottom line is that the TPM system responds only to the four TPSs for which it is programmed. So, if it's properly programmed for the four wheels you are running on the car, there will be no problem. The potential problem with having multiple wheels physically nearby is that one or more of the other wheels could transmit its code while you are in programming mode. Although it is unlikely, since the TPSs transmit infrequently when not rotating to conserve battery power, it could occur. If you have more than four wheels with TPSs installed, check to ensure that the TPM system responds only to the wheels you programmed it for after you have completed the programming.

Ak Jim
02-23-07, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I will make sure the "other" tires are far away when I do the programming!

Dennisscars
02-23-07, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I will make sure the "other" tires are far away when I do the programming!

You'll want to keep them away during storage as well as my set extra with track rubber will run the vehicle battery down. There's a TSB around that too many sets in close proximity will keep the 'puter awake.