: Wife broke the UUC

Wife_took_my_Cadi
02-22-07, 10:36 PM
My wife was on her way home from work today and said that the shifter was not feeling good. AS in cant feel any gear at all. So I search and find that we at not the first ones to have time problem.
How was UUC to deal with on this?
Warranty right?

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 10:38 PM
knob fell off?or the fulcrum?

i WAS going to get one... thinking b&m now

lawfive
02-22-07, 10:49 PM
This happened to me last year with a first generation UUC shifter. (At the fulcrum, Corey.) I was stuck for 30 minutes on a blind freeway onramp, waiting for somebody to turn and accelerate right up my ass. :eek:

UUC replaced the shifter for free. They've beefed up the design, so it shouldn't happen again. Great, I repeat, great customer service. :thumbsup:

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 10:55 PM
so i'd be ok ordering one now?!

lawfive
02-22-07, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking yes, based on three things: first, I LOVE the feel of my UUC. Denniscars thought it was too 'notchy,' but I think that's personal preference.

Second: looking at the old vs. the new: lots more metal to have to fatigue.

Third: can't beat that kind of customer service. They gave the replacement to me for free, and paid for overnight shipping.

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 11:32 PM
hmmmm... any chance you have pictures?

i'd like to see how they machined the "neck" see what the stress raisers are going to look like

lawfive
02-22-07, 11:35 PM
No pics, sorry. And the original went back to UUC for analysis.

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 11:40 PM
well by any chance the neck where it went from the center ball to the bottom part of the fulcrum was it rounded or a 'sharp' transition

makes a HUGE difference in the stress patterns

Albertan
02-22-07, 11:48 PM
I just "happen" to have my UUC shifter beside my keyboard. I don't know what the originals looked like but this one has major a radius at either end of the ball and where it goes to the bottom square section. No stress risers here.
Bruce
ps If it ever quits snowing, I'll be able to install this shifter.

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 11:51 PM
perfect on two counts

nice to hear its got a good radius

and second that someone knew WTF a stress riser was

Albertan
02-23-07, 12:06 AM
Igot....
I'm in the plastic molding business. Stress risers are a BIG cause of plastic failures. I put approx 0.020 radius on plastic threads on a pressure fitting and rupture pressure increased about 200psi. I got the job as a result.
Bruce

RunningOnEMT
02-23-07, 12:11 AM
do you make large plastic castings? anything with decent optical clarity?

Albertan
02-23-07, 12:19 AM
No, we only do injection molding. How many thousands are you looking for?
That first one where you pay for the mold is the expensive one. After that they are cheap. I have done clear Polycarbonate emergency beacons.
Bruce

lawfive
02-23-07, 12:46 AM
Yeah, what Albert said :) and, no, I don't know what a stress rising is. :confused:

lawfive
02-23-07, 12:46 AM
Unless it's :bighead: ... stress rising...

lawfive
02-23-07, 12:48 AM
Now I do...

Koooop
02-23-07, 01:00 AM
LawFive and I need to drive each others car so we can compare the shifters. I have the B & M, I insulated the heck out of it and it's pretty quiet. I went B & M since I've never heard of one breaking. UUC shifters break not only in V's but in many other cars as well. I've heard the UUC is quieter, but I'd like to drive one to compare so we can post after a side by side. (that and I wanna flog LawFive's Maggie).

rand49er
02-23-07, 06:28 AM
... I have the B & M, I insulated the heck out of it and it's pretty quiet. I went B & M since I've never heard of one breaking. ...:cool2:

BadCad
02-23-07, 04:30 PM
stress riser
is that one of those modded japanese cars in Chinese? (Mandarin, I mean.)

RunningOnEMT
02-23-07, 04:32 PM
:duh:

thats street ricer...not stress riser

BadCad
02-23-07, 04:33 PM
Ahh soo..... my eenglis not so goot

RunningOnEMT
02-23-07, 04:46 PM
ni hao

calicadi
02-24-07, 12:11 AM
News flash from Wall Street... B&M just bought Hurst!

Koooop
02-24-07, 06:46 PM
Where's the Shifty Dr. when we need him to save the day?

Wife_took_my_Cadi
02-25-07, 02:21 AM
well i got the new one installed today. UUC is absolutely the best car parts company I have ever dealt with.:worship: :worship: :worship: Number one in customer service I have never felt so good about any kind of service until I had this problem....... WOW They next day aired the new one, paid extra for Saturday delivery and paid for the return shipping of the old one. Me, I paid zero, zip, nada damn thing. :alchi: :alchi: The only thing that I have to do is go to the UPS and drop the old one off. Btw I have pictures I can email people if they want a side by side look at old vs new. Email me with SHIFTER in the subject line and I will get them out.

RockinV
02-25-07, 12:52 PM
"WOW They next day aired the new one, paid extra for Saturday delivery and paid for the return shipping of the old one."

Did you purchase the original shifter directly from them?

"Btw I have pictures I can email people if they want a side by side look at old vs new. Email me with SHIFTER in the subject line and I will get them out."

I just bought a UUC shifter from a guy and installed it. It was new in the box from UUC but was orginally bought last year. I would be interested in knowing if it is the new or old stlye.

I might be a newbie :helpless:... but I can't find your email address...and I can't PM you:banghead:..
So here is my email please post or send me the pics of the old and new stlye...thanks
rockinc5@comcast.net

lawfive
02-25-07, 01:13 PM
Somebody email me the pix and I'll post them. lawfive@pacbell.net