: 1993 Sts 32v

D'Elegance
02-22-07, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone, I just bought a 1993 STS with the N* the car was an absolute cream puff kept in a garage and service at the dealer every 3000 miles. The transmission fluid looks very good, however i am going to change the coolant and out the 2 tubes of the bars leaks in the radiator. I would also like to change the oil and i was wondering about if i should just stick with the 10W-30 or if I should switch to the Rotella 15W-40 like i have done in my past 2 cadillacs, my 4.1 and my 4.9. It seemed to work well in those but I was wondering about this cause the Northstar is a different motor but it is a '93 with 175,000 highway miles on the clock so i just wanted to check. Another thing is how do i take off the traction control, my '93 4.9L didnt have traction control and could do some mean burnouts, so I wanted to know how I could get the traction control off. Also is there anything else i need to watch out for with the '93 northstar, i am well aware the the headgasket and coolant issues and I also know about the WOT treatments. I just wanted to know what else i should watch out for because this is my first N* engine and I really love the car and want it to last. Thank You, I appreciate your time and effort. :thumbsup:

Ranger
02-22-07, 04:34 PM
Either oil will work fine. Use whatever lights your fire.

Disabling T/C also disables 1st gear, so you won't be doing many burn outs.

this is my first N* engine and I really love the car and want it to last.
Mean burnouts are not conducive to long transmission life.

D'Elegance
02-22-07, 09:07 PM
I noticed that on the left side of the motor is the supintine belt but i also noticed that on the right side (drivers side) of the motor theres what appears to be another belt and pulley?? Is this the timing belt, because i thought the N* all had a timing chain, I only saw under the hood for a second in the dark and wasnt sure, I would like to know if this motor the '93 N* has a timing chain or a timing belt? Because if its a belt i wanna know so i can replace it to prevent catastrophic engine failure. Thank You. :)

Mountie
02-22-07, 09:50 PM
I noticed that on the left side of the motor is the supintine belt but i also noticed that on the right side (drivers side) of the motor theres what appears to be another belt and pulley?? Is this the timing belt, because i thought the N* all had a timing chain, I only saw under the hood for a second in the dark and wasnt sure, I would like to know if this motor the '93 N* has a timing chain or a timing belt? Because if its a belt i wanna know so i can replace it to prevent catastrophic engine failure. Thank You. :)

The little rubber belt on the driver's side is connected to the squirrel........

actually, it's the waterpump drive belt.

Anyway, just keep an eye on the coolant, oil & cooling fans, and let the Northstar do it's thing.

I changed out my North*..... I bought the car with a spun rod bearing, but everything else is perfect, including, it had a new transmission.

I have found not one glitch since I started it up for the first time over a year ago.

Ranger
02-22-07, 10:12 PM
The Northstar uses timing chains. They should last the life of the engine, and then some.

D'Elegance
02-22-07, 11:06 PM
Oh, ok thanks! lol squirrel thats funny, I never woulda guessed that that was the waterpump drive pulley, I figured it was on the left with the surpentine belt with everything else. I thought I knew most of where everything was on this motor, I do know that the starter is under the intake manifold. How long/hard of a job is it to do the waterpump on this car? Is there anything else different about placement on this motor that I should know about?

Ranger
02-22-07, 11:20 PM
Water pump is an easy job, but you will need a special socket to remove the impeller cartridge. About an hour job, give or take. This is what it looks like http://www.geocities.com/grandolfo.

D'Elegance
02-23-07, 03:46 PM
Thanks! Hey, today I was cleaning in the door jams and I noticed the sticker on the drivers door and it says SPEED RTG and then has 2 Z's underneath it!!!! I figured it was just gonna be an H for 130 or an S for 112 so I didnt bother to look but then I saw this and started dancing!:bouncy: This means my car has no speed limiter right???????

Ranger
02-23-07, 05:26 PM
Correctomundo. :burn:

Cadillacboy
02-23-07, 06:34 PM
Please be very warry otherwise you might get some speed tickets

D'Elegance
02-25-07, 01:42 AM
Alright, now I have changed the coolant and put the supplements in on my other cars, ( 4.1 and 4.9 ) drained the system then refilled the radiator with the coolant and the supplement. I would like to change the coolant on my STS and I was looking over the N* and I noticed that there is no radiator cap. So I guess I would just add the fluid to the over flow. But how and where would I drain it, and where would I put the supplement in since theres no cap on the radiator?:confused:

mr_mr11
02-25-07, 03:29 AM
Water pump is an easy job, but you will need a special socket to remove the impeller cartridge. About an hour job, give or take. This is what it looks like http://www.geocities.com/grandolfo.

Ranger - An hour job? You are faster than the rest of us!! :thehand:

clarkz71
02-25-07, 11:41 AM
Thanks! Hey, today I was cleaning in the door jams and I noticed the sticker on the drivers door and it says SPEED RTG and then has 2 Z's underneath it!!!! I figured it was just gonna be an H for 130 or an S for 112 so I didnt bother to look but then I saw this and started dancing!:bouncy: This means my car has no speed limiter right???????

All 93-95 STS & ETC are Z rated.

Ranger
02-25-07, 05:00 PM
Ranger - An hour job? You are faster than the rest of us!! :thehand:

Well, I DID say "give or take". Maybe an hour is a tad on the low side.

Ranger
02-25-07, 05:03 PM
Alright, now I have changed the coolant and put the supplements in on my other cars, ( 4.1 and 4.9 ) drained the system then refilled the radiator with the coolant and the supplement. I would like to change the coolant on my STS and I was looking over the N* and I noticed that there is no radiator cap. So I guess I would just add the fluid to the over flow. But how and where would I drain it, and where would I put the supplement in since theres no cap on the radiator?:confused:
Add the coolant to the surge tank. Drain is on the drivers side of the radiator, but sometime it is just easier to pull the radiator hose. Add the supplement tabs directly into the radiator hose.

D'Elegance
02-27-07, 06:44 PM
So the only thing my 93 STS needs is a passenger side mirror. The dealer said this is a discontinued part and good luck finding it. Now I checked every junk yard in the area and no one has it. One place had it but it was hanging off the car by some duct tape. However, I can get a mirror from a 93 Eldo of the same exact color, would this one work, would it mount up cause if it does I'll just go get that one.

D'Elegance
02-27-07, 10:08 PM
Oh and also, i cant get the center cup holder in the arm rest to stay in, it sticks all the way out and wont stay in, it will slide in but it pop right back out.:bigroll:

Ranger
02-27-07, 10:36 PM
Try http://www.cadauto.com for the mirror.

Mountie
02-28-07, 03:58 AM
Oh and also, i cant get the center cup holder in the arm rest to stay in, it sticks all the way out and wont stay in, it will slide in but it pop right back out.:bigroll:

I had the same problem with my stupid cupholder. I removed the armrest cover. ( flip up the armrest & remove the little screws).... At the rear, there is what looks like a 1" x 1 1/2" plastic black box. CAREFULLY, pop off the top, and you will find an arm that pivots with a spring. This is what catches & locks the ...'whachamacallit'.....little pointed arm attached to the cupholder, that pokes into the little box. What happened is the spring popped out, or the pivot arm diss-logged. Sort of like a puzzle, & play with it a while, you will figure out how it is supposed to work. I managed to figure it out, and it works. Also, I found, that by closing the cup holders, ( helping it into the armrest), puts less strain on the dumb design.

D'Elegance
02-28-07, 09:31 PM
Wow, thats awesome, thanks Mountie. That thing was really pissin me off, its convienient and all but its getting anoying now. I just hope nothings broke of that I dont break anything lol. Thanks

Mountie
02-28-07, 10:22 PM
Wow, thats awesome, thanks Mountie. That thing was really pissin me off, its convienient and all but its getting anoying now. I just hope nothings broke of that I dont break anything lol. Thanks

Be VERY CAREFUL not to loose any parts of that little plastic box, I think there is only 3 pieces.....There may be parts just laying inside near the box, and they might fall between the seats, and the parts are small.:hide: