: Model Name Derivation

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 06:51 AM
Not the first thread on this topic i think, but the first in this forum...in this vein

ok, so since Cadillac switched to the Trigram designations i've wondered this

STS - Seville Touring Sedan
SLS - Seville Luxury Sedan
DTS - DeVille Touring Sedan
ETC - Eldorado Touring Coupe

does that mean that possibly the CTS is..

CTS - Catera Touring Sedan?????

DO WE DRIVE V-SERIES CATERAS????

RightTurn
02-22-07, 07:18 AM
There was a thread on this in the CTS board a few months ago. I'll see if I can find it...

v-ape
02-22-07, 07:19 AM
Indeed

Catera Touring Sedan

My bill of sale actually says Catera on it.

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 07:20 AM
YOINK!!!!!!!!!!! everything i got from the dealer said CTS/CTS-V, took me this long to put 2 and 2 together...

wow..lol

RightTurn
02-22-07, 07:21 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum/74713-what-does-cts-stand.html?highlight=catera

v-ape
02-22-07, 08:29 AM
Yea mine says...

Year: 2004
Make: CTS-V (Cadillac???)
Model: Catera

I got it used though... oh wait "pre-owned". We need to keep our phrases high class.

The Tony Show
02-22-07, 10:20 AM
Oh Jesus, not this again.

I'll say it one last time, and someone please sticky it:

C-Class Touring Sedan

The first letter denotes size, not a name. The others are S-Class touring sedan, D-Class touring sedan, S-class Recreational Crossover, X-class Luxury Roadster.

A lot of 2004/2005 sales and DMV registrations said Catera due time it takes to get computer systems updated.

ChicagoCTS32
02-22-07, 10:23 AM
The "official" word from cadillac is C Class, S Class, D Class Touring Sedan. The main reason car companies switch to the letter designations is to simplify cross country sales. Galaendelwagen doesn't really flow too well off the tongue of an american, so MB Shortened it up to G500/600 etc. Some words don't translate to other countries, so if they use shorter 3 letter designation, cadillac doesn't have to try and re-brand a new name and spend all the extra money on marketing materials trying to raise awareness.

*edit* tony beat me.... ;)

RightTurn
02-22-07, 10:30 AM
:food-snacking:

v-ape
02-22-07, 11:03 AM
What ever the "official" reason is, we all know what names the C, S, E, and D "classes" were derived from.

BTW. I got my car in 06... computers still werent fixed. My registration just says "Cadillac Sedan", which means it could be anything from a DTS, STS, CTS, or V versions where they apply.

Of course, my insurance company hit it right on the head! CTS-V

The Tony Show
02-22-07, 12:17 PM
What ever the "official" reason is, we all know what names the C, S, E, and D "classes" were derived from.

Well sure- it's a lot easier for people's subconscious associations when the Seville becomes the STS, and the Deville becomes the DTS, etc... The size is about the same, so they know that the "D" car is what they want. Cadillac's "smaller" car has always carried a "C" name (Cimmaron, Catera, CTS).

I just hate hearing people suggest that the CTS is a Catera. They're built on two different sides of the planet, use different engines, different platforms, etc... The CTS has as much in common with a Catera as my Miata does with a Jag XKR.

v-ape
02-22-07, 12:45 PM
Well sure- it's a lot easier for people's subconscious associations when the Seville becomes the STS, and the Deville becomes the DTS, etc... The size is about the same, so they know that the "D" car is what they want. Cadillac's "smaller" car has always carried a "C" name (Cimmaron, Catera, CTS).

I just hate hearing people suggest that the CTS is a Catera. They're built on two different sides of the planet, use different engines, different platforms, etc... The CTS has as much in common with a Catera as my Miata does with a Jag XKR.

I hear ya. I prefer cars with names though... not that I like Catera and I understand why they do it, but names make the car more personable. Imagine if Chevy dropped "Corvette" and started calling its next high-end sports car the C7 (with no reference to corvette, just C7).

Also, have you noticed Cadillac isnt written on our cars anywhere? Ive hade girls asking "What kind of car is this, who makes it?" Keep in mind I'm with 20-somethings who dont recognize emblems (jacked or not).

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 12:49 PM
I hear ya. I prefer cars with names though... not that I like Catera and I understand why they do it, but names make the car more personable. Imagine if Chevy dropped "Corvette" and started calling its next high-end sports car the C7 (with no reference to corvette, just C7).

Also, have you noticed Cadillac isnt written on our cars anywhere? Ive hade girls asking "What kind of car is this, who makes it?" Keep in mind I'm with 20-somethings who dont recognize emblems (jacked or not).

you know something, you're right

the only place i've seen it on a regular CTS is the sillplates where our V logo is

the word cadillac that is

The Tony Show
02-22-07, 01:19 PM
None of the current Cadillacs feature the word "Cadillac" on the exterior. A few have it on the door sill plates, but nowhere on the body. Try to find the word "Mercedes" on the outside of one of those- same deal.

Part of Cadillac's image resurrection program was to build recognition of the Crest + Wreath as the identity of the marque, not a word.

Jon
02-22-07, 02:15 PM
It's acutally C-Series, not C-Class

ChicagoCTS32
02-22-07, 08:38 PM
None of the current Cadillacs feature the word "Cadillac" on the exterior. A few have it on the door sill plates, but nowhere on the body. Try to find the word "Mercedes" on the outside of one of those- same deal.

Part of Cadillac's image resurrection program was to build recognition of the Crest + Wreath as the identity of the marque, not a word.
Good point. Car companies aren't the only ones who realize that an image is a very powerful marketing tool. Look at best buy, they actually started to put JUST the yellow tag out on the street on some of their stores without "Best Buy" written on it. They eventually switched back, but the yellow tag is marketed with more entusiasm than the actual name. Circuit city, same deal. ING Mortgage/Savings, same thing. (BTW, if anybody wants an online checking account that pays 4% and an online savings account that pays 4.5%, send me a PM and you can get $25 in free interest).

It's acutally C-Series, not C-Class

Good point. I was 50/50 on class vs series... something told me series, but I put class anyway.