: Tires (I searched and searched)

ahahnu
02-21-07, 08:00 PM
Ok, in past threads it seems likemost people that weren't buying F1s were getting another type of Michelin, or Toyo. Some GD-S3s were out there. If I can explain, I have gone through 3 sets of F1s, now I have a set of winter Hancook tires on there. I don't notice much grip difference, although I barely broke into .8 on the g meter. Past experience prvents me from going further I don't want to go off the road. I would ofcourse rather get something better on the wallet, but I don't really think performance difference between them will be negligable with my driving habits. I have a spare so I don't need EMT, but I like the stiffness. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Venomous-V
02-21-07, 08:23 PM
Falken azenis rt615........ Best bang for your buck at $160 a piece.

thebigjimsho
02-21-07, 08:23 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport 2. They now come in our size and if you choose to widen the rears, they have that size too. Just do it.

CVP33
02-21-07, 10:10 PM
Falken 452's are a great tire as well. Very similar to the GSD3's in performance for a lot less coin. You could also go with BigJim's favorite - RSA's.

thebigjimsho
02-22-07, 09:14 AM
Falken 452's are a great tire as well. Very similar to the GSD3's in performance for a lot less coin. You could also go with BigJim's favorite - RSA's.Yeah, an SRT-8 with RSAs!!! DaBomb, ownz j0o the roxorz!!!

Tags63
02-22-07, 09:56 AM
Hey!!!

I've been using the Michelin's for quite sometime on all my Bimmers and will be putting them on my Caddy once spring comes around. They're excellent but pricey. If you want a decent cheap tire but not for the winter months, you can check out Nitto 555's. You can get a new set for 650.00. Now, I know some of the guys will bash these tires but for the buck I liked them and they are great for drifting!!!

Paul:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

odla
02-22-07, 10:06 AM
I use dunlop sp sport max. i love them. Really good in dry and wet. cheap too. about 120 at tire max. ive gone out andtried to get these at a local tire store and they range from 280- 360 per tire. I even got one for my spare. i did 1. g left .9 g right. thats not bad i think. I had a lot of throttle for fun.

ahahnu
02-22-07, 10:09 AM
Thank you for your inputs. I should of known, 6 responces, 6 different answers. Lol

50 4Ever
02-22-07, 11:33 AM
Michelin Pilot Sport 2. They now come in our size and if you choose to widen the rears, they have that size too. Just do it.

Big Jim, or is it Big Jim's Ho, Have you widened the rear wheels? If so, how did you go about finding a shop to do this?

:highfive:

thebigjimsho
02-22-07, 12:38 PM
Big Jim, or is it Big Jim's Ho, Have you widened the rear wheels? If so, how did you go about finding a shop to do this?

:highfive:Bought, er, traded from WW...

ochaole
02-22-07, 03:34 PM
any of you have or have ever tried bridgestone pole position RE050A....?? im about to pull the trigger on them but would love an opinion from someone who has actually driven on them....thnx

thebigjimsho
02-22-07, 04:31 PM
any of you have or have ever tried bridgestone pole position RE050A....?? im about to pull the trigger on them but would love an opinion from someone who has actually driven on them....thnx
A few guys have tried them with good results. Search time.

V-Love
02-22-07, 08:01 PM
Falkens are cheap and great. They last at the track and you drive home on them. F-1's are crap. Everyone here agrees on that. Falken 452's or 615's. I had both and both are excellent tires at a great price. Try them you will likey.

lunarx
02-22-07, 09:56 PM
Say no to NT-555. :tisk:
Those tires don't have any right to be on a V.

PS2 if you have the coin.
RT-615 if you want to save some coin for other mods or just want the fastest street tire.

I was thinking of going with the taller size 255-45-18 of RT-615.
Has anyone used this size?

thebigjimsho
02-23-07, 10:57 AM
Falkens are cheap and great. They last at the track and you drive home on them. F-1's are crap. Everyone here agrees on that. Falken 452's or 615's. I had both and both are excellent tires at a great price. Try them you will likey.Speak for yourself Love boy! I think the F1s so far are the best dry handling tire for the V right now(except for maybe the PS2). And if you're driving Falkens at the track then you're not concerned about getting the best lap times or you're running in a class where street tires are required.

trukk
02-23-07, 11:33 AM
I put new tires on just after new year. Went with the Falken Azenis RT615's, in staggered 245/40 - 275/35 size. Total cost w/ 1 day shipping from edgeracing was $750. I'm sure I could have done better had I done some extensive shopping, and used UPS ground.

In the smaller heigth, there is a noticable gap in the wheel well. They would look much nicer on a lowered V, but it isn't annoyingly or unacceptably small. Also, the 275's still look very substantial out back, but they do not bulge like the GSD3's did (The GSD3's @ 275/40 in the rear were humongous). Finally the smaller tires feel less squirmy than the GSD3's (especially the rear).

I haven't really had a chance to push them hard yet though, since it's been so cold and icy here. They aren't overly loud, and the sidewall stiffness is much better than the GSD3's I came from. Not as good as the F1SC's, but MUCH closer than the GSD3's.

Thus far though I am very impressed, and like them significantly more than the GSD3's. The big question though is going to be the treadlife at 200 treadwear rating.

I'm going to VIR this weekend, so we'll see how they really perform.

-Chris

heavypedal
02-23-07, 12:02 PM
Ahahnu.... 3 tires for you to choose from (given not expensive, but still give you bang for buck)

1. Falken FK-452s - quiet, performance similar to GSD3s @ 2/3s the price (I along with CVP have these, so far I love em)
2. Dunlop SP SportMaxx - similar, on sale is a good purchase
3. Nitto 555s - similar, cheap and sporty, good bang for buck

none handle cold very well, but all are good happy mediums when it comes to performance for the dollar (and will last longer than those F1s).

p.s. Why the hell did you go through 3 sets of F1s. ;) I was thinking 2 would be the max

ahahnu
02-23-07, 04:51 PM
I kinda made my decision, I think I'm goning to go with the Falken 615s in 255 40 18. I was riding behind another V one day and saw the tires looked a little thin. Hopefully this will make them look a litte beefier. As someone said before you spent the money on the car.... But I can't justify spending so much money on a new set when I just ordered a spare, I have winter tires, and I'd rather have a better tire and not push it then..... Thank you all for your repeated input its greatly appreciated.

I dunno how it happened (3 sets of F1s). Two at a time I guess. I would wear out two faster, buy new ones, switch the new to the front, wear out the back and start all over. Not too smart, so trying something new. Lol.

lunarx
02-23-07, 10:08 PM
Let us know how you like the 615's.
I have a new set of F1's sitting in the garage, but I wonder if I should install them or sell them and get 615's instead.

ahahnu
02-23-07, 11:07 PM
Will do. I have to wait to hear back about a price on Monday, install Friday.

ahahnu
04-23-07, 03:55 PM
Well I'm back to give an update incase anyone was waiting or cared. I ordered tires from this place on ebay called Two Day parts. Two weeks later I was already on my way to FLa with my winter Hankooks, when they sent me an email confirmation saying they were sending the tires. This place only had good prices. Their service sucked. No reurn emails or phone calls. Its my own fault as I didn't take the link in the fine print at the bottom of their page to see that Rome was built faster then they ship. I feel it was for the best as I was headed up, old Mother Nature decided to give the Northeast a few inces of snow on St. Patties day. So I had to wait a little while to put the tires on, now it has finally warmed up ad I can 'use' the tires. They are great. Close in grippyness to the F1. Prolly a little more then I will need, but the wider size makes them puff out a little and their tread is bad ass. Thy are definately made for nice weather as I don't even try to push it when its wet. I haven't tried a burnout yet either as tires cost so f'ing much I need to have them last a while. I definatly give them a thumbs up.

gergreg
04-23-07, 04:13 PM
I have GSD3's on the GTO, superb tires. Very grippy and they would be perfect on the V cuz they have 'V' treads :gnome:

ahahnu
04-23-07, 04:16 PM
Everyopne that has them has nothing but good to say, I just didn't like the 'look' of them.

thebigjimsho
04-23-07, 04:39 PM
...and they would be perfect on the V cuz they have 'V' treads :gnome:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....Yeah.

Feffman
04-23-07, 05:36 PM
As soon (and it will be soon) as the current tires are shot, I'll be installing the Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S. All seaon, high performance tire which, according to Tire Rack bested all other similar tires. Even comes in a
245/24-18 at around $180 per tire.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

SkullV
04-23-07, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know anything about Continental ContiExtremeContact? I really need an all season tire for where I live and the V is my only car!

lunarx
04-23-07, 05:40 PM
I ordered tires from this place on ebay called Two Day parts. Two weeks later ...they sent me an email confirmation saying they were sending the tires. This place only had good prices. Their service sucked. No reurn emails or phone calls. .....
Negative 1000 for 2-Day Parts.
They Blow.
First time I ordered they sent me 1 tire.
I had call and remind them that my order was for 4 tires and not 1 tire.

I was stupid enough to give them another chance with a 2nd order.
They swore they had stock and would ship (all 4 and not just 1) the next day.
Guess what?
They never shipped the tires.
I called back a week later to ask WTF and they claim someone sold 1 of my tires out from under them and they only have 3 tires and can ship those today and will send the 4th on friday.
I needed those tires (as in all 4 before Friday).
I canceled my order and asked for a refund.

Just say no to 2-Day Parts :thepan:

trekster
04-24-07, 10:55 AM
Well, I'm currently in the market for some new tires, and was wondering where can I get the Falken's 615's for a good price?
Also, should I just go with the stock tire size?
Well, I just saw that edge racing has them. I'm going to call a few places before placing the order.
Great edge racing doesn't have any in 245/45/18 :(

bossplayer
04-24-07, 11:07 AM
I have GSD3's on the GTO, superb tires. Very grippy and they would be perfect on the V cuz they have 'V' treads :gnome:

I like em cuz they help me go around 6 or so cars really fast.

Sorry GG, couldn't resist.....:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
04-24-07, 11:28 AM
Well, I'm currently in the market for some new tires, and was wondering where can I get the Falken's 615's for a good price?
Also, should I just go with the stock tire size?
Well, I just saw that edge racing has them. I'm going to call a few places before placing the order.
Great edge racing doesn't have any in 245/45/18 :(That's because they're vaporware. You have to get them in 245/40 18 or 255/40 18.

vettethret
04-24-07, 12:40 PM
Falken 452's are a great tire as well. Very similar to the GSD3's in performance for a lot less coin. You could also go with BigJim's favorite - RSA's.

I'm suprised no one has the Kdw's. They are ranked right there with the PS2 and are much cheaper, look on Tire Racks site.They last longer as well. These are the tires I'm getting with my 20s.

mbiker97_old
04-24-07, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know anything about Continental ContiExtremeContact? I really need an all season tire for where I live and the V is my only car!

I run these right now (bought the car used). They are okay. The rear spins easily though. I don't 1/4, track, or auto-x. Nothing beats a true summer tire.

thebigjimsho
04-24-07, 01:53 PM
I'm suprised no one has the Kdw's. They are ranked right there with the PS2 and are much cheaper, look on Tire Racks site.They last longer as well. These are the tires I'm getting with my 20s.They may be close but they're not as good as the PS2. The ratings may be inflated on the Tire Rack site because they are in different classes. Meaning they are rated as having great traction but from people who are used to UHP tires. People who are used to Max perf tires might not rank them so high.

vettethret
04-24-07, 05:44 PM
They may be close but they're not as good as the PS2. The ratings may be inflated on the Tire Rack site because they are in different classes. Meaning they are rated as having great traction but from people who are used to UHP tires. People who are used to Max perf tires might not rank them so high.

I agree. There is a pretty large price difference though. Everyone knows the PS2's are the best tires out now, but the poser in me loves the KDW tread!:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
04-24-07, 06:16 PM
I agree. There is a pretty large price difference though. Everyone knows the PS2's are the best tires out now, but the poser in me loves the KDW tread!:thumbsup:Pose away, my man!

trukk
04-24-07, 06:48 PM
I put new tires on just after new year. Went with the Falken Azenis RT615's, in staggered 245/40 - 275/35 size. Total cost w/ 1 day shipping from edgeracing was $750. I'm sure I could have done better had I done some extensive shopping, and used UPS ground.

In the smaller heigth, there is a noticable gap in the wheel well. They would look much nicer on a lowered V, but it isn't annoyingly or unacceptably small. Also, the 275's still look very substantial out back, but they do not bulge like the GSD3's did (The GSD3's @ 275/40 in the rear were humongous). Finally the smaller tires feel less squirmy than the GSD3's (especially the rear).

I haven't really had a chance to push them hard yet though, since it's been so cold and icy here. They aren't overly loud, and the sidewall stiffness is much better than the GSD3's I came from. Not as good as the F1SC's, but MUCH closer than the GSD3's.

Thus far though I am very impressed, and like them significantly more than the GSD3's. The big question though is going to be the treadlife at 200 treadwear rating.

-Chris

5K mile report. Probably gone through about 1/3 the tread (after 2 track weekends). These tires are awesome. The greased up on my last session of the last track day, after hauling @ss around VIR for 5 laps with a C6 Z06 on slicks. I was impressed! Great turn in, very predictibel break away (had a very controlled 4 wheel drift going down the rollercoaster, they were nice, no issues). I think I'll get about 15K-20K out of these.

Unless there is a VERY compelling reason, I'll stick with the 615's next tire swap! These tires kick the sh!t out of the GSD3's, then taunt them mercilessly.

:thumbsup: AZENIS RT615's!

-Chris

calicadi
04-25-07, 01:29 AM
BF Goodrich gForce T/A KD 245/40ZR18 @ $226 at Tire Rack.

JimmyH
04-26-07, 05:09 PM
GSD3 is an awesome tire on dry pavement, the best I ever experienced on wet pavement. They are little fragile though. If you buy them, get a road hazard warranty and watch out for sidewall bubbles. They probably were not meant to be a track tire.

trukk
04-27-07, 12:06 PM
GSD3 is an awesome tire on dry pavement, the best I ever experienced on wet pavement. They are little fragile though. If you buy them, get a road hazard warranty and watch out for sidewall bubbles. They probably were not meant to be a track tire.

The GSD3's I had were way to 'squirly' feeling. I won't go back to that. Great in the wet though.

My $0.02,

Chris

lunarx
04-27-07, 12:10 PM
That's because they're vaporware. You have to get them in 245/40 18 or 255/40 18.
They have [RT-615] in 255-45-18.
I'm planning to try those on my new set of GM Alloy Wheels.

JimmyH
04-27-07, 05:06 PM
The GSD3's I had were way to 'squirly' feeling. I won't go back to that. Great in the wet though.

My $0.02,

Chris

I thought they were rock solid. But I didnt have them on a V, they were on a front drive Maxima and a little lower profile than the V's stock size. Installer could not get them perfectly balanced either.

thebigjimsho
04-27-07, 06:56 PM
They have [RT-615] in 255-45-18.
I'm planning to try those on my new set of GM Alloy Wheels.Why get a great tire with MORE sidewall to produce MORE squirm?

lunarx
04-27-07, 08:01 PM
Why get a great tire with MORE sidewall to produce MORE squirm?

So why a 255-45-18 instead of a 255-40-18?

Taller sidewalls (to a point) will have more grip.
The tire has more ability to flex and keep a fat contact patch on the road.
Transient response (sharpness) of course decreases with sidewall height but ultimate grip typically increases.
There is a balance point and tire manufacturers know this as they keep certian width tires within certian Aspect Ratio ranges.

Squirm is kept to a minimum by having the proper width rim, air pressure, tread patern and alignment settings.
Keep in mind most tires have squirm in the tread blocks not just the sidewalls.
With wide tread blocks (like RT-615) squirm is minimized (over F1, GSD3 etc).

I always find it so funny when Porsche/Ferrari (other Pimp's) show up to track days sporting 35 series tires on pricy 19" wheels and spin out all over the track.
Us 45 series guys on squirmy tires run circles around them.
When they wise up & run 40-45 series tires on 17 or 18 wheels then they own the track, and reach thier cars true potential.

Point is, I am looking to trade a slight increase in squirm (over a 255-40-18) for a higher max grip level and suspension compliance by using a 255-45-18.
I think either tire will perform well but I just wanted to give my reason for choosing the taller Aspect Ratio.
When powering hard out of a turn, I rather have a 255-45-18 grabbing the pavement than a 255-40-18.
Slow in fast out as they say.

thebigjimsho
04-27-07, 08:32 PM
While I will give that a driver may do better with a taller sidewall, that's not because of the tire's maximum abilities but rather of the tire's greater communication with the driver. A shorter sidewall does not have as great a chance to communicate as a taller but will most certainly outperform the taller tire, given the width and diameter are the same.

A 255/40 tire will always outgrip a comparable 255/45 tire. But the driver may not be able to maximize that if he's a novice.

lunarx
04-27-07, 10:08 PM
While I will give that a driver may do better with a taller sidewall, that's not because of the tire's maximum abilities but rather of the tire's greater communication with the driver. A shorter sidewall does not have as great a chance to communicate as a taller but will most certainly outperform the taller tire, given the width and diameter are the same.

A 255/40 tire will always outgrip a comparable 255/45 tire. But the driver may not be able to maximize that if he's a novice.
How do you draw that conclusion?
Your reasons are?

I happen to believe the complete opposite of you.
The 255-40 will communicate better as road imperfections will be more notcable and turn in response will be sharper and breakaway will be more instant therefore making the driver very aware of the traction limits.
The 255-45 will soften that feedback and communicate less.

BTW, Yes I am a novice.
I will not claim otherwise.
But I do have 50+ track days under my belt.

The two tires we are discussing have different strengths and weaknesses.
I never stated one is absolutely faster than another (as there is no proof of that I can refer to).
I will however stick to higher Braking and Accelerating grip from the 255-45-18 over the 255-40-18 tire, due to sidewall compliance.
I also believe but cannot easily convince anyone that the 255-45 will also have a higher max lateral grip on a high speed sweeper.
You have to rail thru a high speed sweeper with your foot planted on the gas pedal to figure that one out for yourself.
For Autocross where low speed transient response is more important I would certianly choose the 255-40.
Also, if your V is lowered please choose the 255-40.
For a stock height V on FG2's (my V) the 255-45 is what I feel will work best.

In either case, I don't know yet if I will ever track my V to find out how that 255-45 does on track but I do know it will be the 2nd tire I try after I fry the last bit of rubber off my F1's.

thebigjimsho
04-27-07, 11:20 PM
I happen to believe the complete opposite of you.
The 255-40 will communicate better as road imperfections will be more notcable and turn in response will be sharper and breakaway will be more instant therefore making the driver very aware of the traction limits.
The 255-45 will soften that feedback and communicate less.

No, that's the problem. The breakaway is more instant, it's not that the limits are lower. THAT is why it's harder to figure out what your tire is doing. It takes more skill to find that limit when it comes on so quickly. THAT's why you see guys with smaller aspect ratio tires spin out. They have more grip. They just don't know how to use it.

JimmyH
04-28-07, 01:39 PM
Why do you guys track the V? Just trying to understand. I would not want subject a car this pricey to the hazards of a race track (as opposed to the hazards of rush hour traffic; I know.)

thebigjimsho
04-28-07, 03:02 PM
Why do you guys track the V? Just trying to understand. I would not want subject a car this pricey to the hazards of a race track (as opposed to the hazards of rush hour traffic; I know.)Because it may be the best 4 door car on the planet for a road course...

ahahnu
04-28-07, 05:20 PM
Why do you guys track the V? Just trying to understand. I would not want subject a car this pricey to the hazards of a race track (as opposed to the hazards of rush hour traffic; I know.)

How about the Enzo xxx or watever its called? They are over million, and are made for the track only as they aren't street legal. I'll speak on behalf of a lot of guys having vettes or other type cars and tracked them, now the "family sedan" that can be tracked will. I personally dont track my car or owned a vette. I wish I could get some or one track day in.

JimmyH
05-01-07, 02:42 PM
How about the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx? You can get two of them for the price of one of most of the other tires at tire rack. And they are rated pretty high, then again so are the Eagle F1s. After all the tires I have bought over the years, I have given up on the ratings I read at tire rack. They never seem to jibe with what I get.

JimmyH
05-01-07, 02:45 PM
How about the Enzo xxx or watever its called? They are over million, and are made for the track only as they aren't street legal.

Ah, those are for people with more money than they could possibly spend. I blew a pretty good portion of my savings on my V and wouldnt want to break it on a track.

trukk
05-01-07, 03:13 PM
Because it may be the best 4 door car on the planet for a road course...

DING DING DING.

V on a track is bees knees baby, bees knees.

-Chris

lunarx
05-01-07, 07:07 PM
The financial argument is invalid.
Funny thing is a good track car is a larger investment than a V.
I probably have more money in my WRX with mods than I do in my V.
Having two cars (track/street) in one is true value for money.
It's cheaper to track the V than build a dedicated track car.

Chances of crashing are low if you use good judgement on the track.
Just remember there are many-many more crashes on the street.
The skills you develop on the track will probably save you from an accident or two on the street.
Practice in a rental car till you are comfortable with your driving, then go enjoy your V to it's fullest.

trekster
05-02-07, 03:51 PM

-Chris
I also went with the Falkens 615's, and did the same tire size as you. I got them for $680 installed at a local mom and pops shop. Can't wait to install them tomorrow. I need tires pretty bad right now.

Kingpin08
01-15-08, 08:31 PM
Can anyone estimate the average life of their 615's? i want it to last 20-25k miles. would they stand up?
also, why are 615's rated at 200A/A and 452's 300AA/A?

LV_V
01-16-08, 12:56 AM
Falken azenis rt615........ Best bang for your buck at $160 a piece.
Yes sir. I've been running the 615's for a while now (see sig). Although you are not going to get 25k miles out of them, they are cheap and they are FUN TO DRIVE ON!! I don't track my V although I drive it very hard, but I imagine I will get approximately 10k miles off these. Just rotated them after maybe 5-6k miles and the rears were about 1/2 done and the fronts about a 1/4 done.

Give them a try or you will never realize how much more fun they are to drive on than "standard" street tires. Stiff sidewalls, aggressive tread, a little wider than stock, do it :yup:

trukk
01-16-08, 11:18 AM

-Chris

5K mile report. Probably gone through about 1/3 the tread (after 2 track weekends). These tires are awesome. The greased up on my last session of the last track day, after hauling @ss around VIR for 5 laps with a C6 Z06 on slicks. I was impressed! Great turn in, very predictibel break away (had a very controlled 4 wheel drift going down the rollercoaster, they were nice, no issues). I think I'll get about 15K-20K out of these.

Unless there is a VERY compelling reason, I'll stick with the 615's next tire swap! These tires kick the sh!t out of the GSD3's, then taunt them mercilessly.

:thumbsup: AZENIS RT615's!

-Chris

OK I just replaced the rear tires after about 18k miles (please note I got 16k miles from F1SC's, and about 25k-ish from GSD3's). Front still has 3/8ths of their tread left. I just put on new rears and planned to replace all 4 at the next go around. I went through 7 full track days with this set of tires also.

Notice that I said 'front' becuase I nearly delaminated my front left tire, at my last track session @ VIR in December. Running staggered with unidirectional tires makes it so they can't be rotated. This puts a serious @$$ whoopin on the front left tire, if you take the car to the track.

So for street tires, these are pretty damned good. Good in the rain and great in the dry. They wear pretty good for 200 Treadwear tires. They are farily good at the track, but unless you can rotate them, and don't go all that often, these aren't the best choice. I think these would be prefectly fine for Auto-X though. For the price these are a very good tire.

Moral of the story, these are great street tires with limited track use. If you go to the track more than a ferw times per year (or set of tires), get dedicated track rubber.

-Chris

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/38050d1197340741-vir-dec-8-9-w-chin-tire1.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/38051d1197340741-vir-dec-8-9-w-chin-tire2.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/38052d1197340814-vir-dec-8-9-w-chin-tire3.jpg

Twitch
01-16-08, 01:19 PM
Getting new tires in the spring, so I'm reading every thread.
I'm looking for performance FIRST. 15 to 20K miles would be nice, but not too important. A quiet tire is s bonus, but only that.
K, so the PS2s are the best.
Falken 615s are better than the GSD3s.
Where do the Toyo T1Rs fit in?

Thinking about May 9th, other then that, probably wont do much track time.
Planning to go 255 all around, but would I loose too much if I go 275 in the rear?
BTW what exactly is auto X?
Thanks

Tony

trukk
01-16-08, 02:52 PM
I'm looking for performance FIRST. 15 to 20K miles would be nice, but not too important. A quiet tire is s bonus, but only that.
K, so the PS2s are the best.
Falken 615s are better than the GSD3s.
Where do the Toyo T1Rs fit in?

Thinking about May 9th, other then that, probably wont do much track time.
Planning to go 255 all around, but would I loose too much if I go 275 in the rear?
BTW what exactly is auto X?
Thanks

Tony

I've never run the T1R's, so I can't comment on those. Another tire to consider would be the Birdgeston RE-01R or RE-050A (180 and 140 TW respectivly). I ran V-Sam's RE-01R's on the fron tof my car fo4r one session at VIR after I killed those Falkens, and they had REALLY GOOD grip (better than the Falkens for sure).

275's are more of a cosmetic mod. I love how they look, but they don't really do much for handling. They do help a bit in acceleration.

255/40 is a good choice. A bit smaller than stock, which give a bit higher overall gear ratio, making the car a tiny bit faster (acceleration wise), and the lower sidewall will hep with turn in.

Auto-X, is Autocross. Running the cones at the neighboorhood airstip, or stadium parking lot :D. You need really good initial grip in Auto-X, but longterm highspeed/temp handling doesn;t really come into play.

Good luck on your decision. The best (or worst) thing, is you won't have to live with your decision all that long, as tires wear out fast.

-Chris

MauiV
01-16-08, 05:55 PM
Tony

In the spring when I finally settle on a new set of rims I will go back to the BFG G-Force KDW's. They corner like a mofo, do well enough in the rain and launch great on dry pavement. I also love the tread pattern. They were more quiet than my current all seasons and the price is also right.

I recommend also reading thru the reviews at discounttire.com from similiar type car owners, i found it usefull.

ahahnu
01-16-08, 06:53 PM
I finally took off the 615s after using them since April. I really ejoyed their usage. definatley lasted longer ten the F1s. I'd most likely buy them again in the spring. The 452s are prolly more my speed but I really don't like the tread pattern.

Koooop
01-17-08, 08:08 PM
I called a few places for the Falken 615 Azenis. One shop says those are being discontinued and the replacement is the Falken 912 Azenis.

Anyone have any comments on the 912? One guy said they're better than the 615, so WTF are they cheaper?

Twitch
01-17-08, 11:14 PM
Just did a quick search. Looks like the 912s are all season.

Koooop
01-17-08, 11:26 PM
It never rains in Southern California... I don't need all season!

Thanks.

Koooop
01-31-08, 08:46 PM
I went with PS2's.

They're excellent, better than the GSD3 IMO. Could be as good as the F1 Supercars, I hope they last longer.

ahahnu
04-21-08, 07:21 PM
Has ayone had the 615s vs the 452s? The place where I had a horror last year still sells the 615s and I have a credit there ($s tight gotta use what ya got). I'm thinking about giving them a try, but if the 452s are so much cheaper and not much performance difference why the hell not?

mbiker97_old
04-21-08, 08:22 PM
Has anyone tried the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo yet? They are relatively cheap (162 ea at tirerack), and are asymmetric so you can cross rotate.

FactoryFast
04-12-09, 07:29 PM
Im begining my research now for a summer tire. I ran the Falken Azenis RT615 on my last car. Other tires on the car were the stock Eagle F1s, Toyo Proxes 4, crap, crap, crappy Avons, and Kumho Ecsta MXs...the RT615 was by far the best dry handling of that group and the worst wet handling...The 615 changed the way I thought about tires as i will run a summer and winter setup forever more. the Rt615 is the best dry road summer tire I have ever owned and I want them on the V.

However, im upset they dont make it in the OEM 245/45/18 size. I have always threatened to do an autocross or road course but really I just enjoy my 550 mile a week commute which includes the meat of Bear Mountain for those of you who know that road...

I dont want any more wheel gap than I already have. Whats the move if im going to do the RT615?

I was considering the Dunlop DIREZZA SPORT Z1 Star Spec but from reading about it they look to be designed for lighter cars who may have issues bringing thier tires up to temp...Im willing to bet I dont have that problem and I dont want to risk getting greasy...what do you think?

now...im looking here at the PS2....looks real good...hrmmmm....

ahahnu
04-12-09, 08:25 PM
I have them in 255 series now. They are left over from last year, but I'd still like to get my hands on them again when they wear out.

thebigjimsho
04-12-09, 10:25 PM
PS2s.

stuckey
04-12-09, 11:11 PM
i guess since this was brought back up again I should ask my question now. I just purchased goodyear f1 fioranos in 265-40 18's. I will be running them at all 4 corners. Will i be able to lower my car with these tires? I know they are slightly shorter but also wider than stock. Has anyone done this successfully without rubbing the fenders?

FactoryFast
04-12-09, 11:27 PM
I have them in 255 series now. They are left over from last year, but I'd still like to get my hands on them again when they wear out.

Does anyone have pics of what a 255/45/18 looks like on the V? Do you have any rubbing issues?

***edit***
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/148126-should-i-have-issue-these-tires.html

Koooop
04-12-09, 11:50 PM
Dunlop Direzza suck ass.

Get the PS2's.

FactoryFast
04-13-09, 01:16 AM
Dunlop Direzza suck ass.

Get the PS2's.

according to my research the statement above is indeed factual...

As far as getting back into Michelins...I had Michelin Pilot Sports back on my B5 Audi and I wasnt overly impressed with them.

On the other hand, the Falken Azenis RT615 was a very impressive tire. I also remember enjoying the Ziex tires on my 5.0 with a go-cart suspension...I think im gonna go with a 255/45/18 RT615 for my daily driven Bear Mountain road stormer. Unless the pic request I put up yields cold feelings on my part, I really want to have Azenis' on this car...

thebigjimsho
04-13-09, 01:48 PM

As far as getting back into Michelins...I had Michelin Pilot Sports back on my B5 Audi and I wasnt overly impressed with them.

On the other hand, the Falken Azenis RT615 was a very impressive tire. I also remember enjoying the Ziex tires on my 5.0 with a go-cart suspension...I think im gonna go with a 255/45/18 RT615 for my daily driven Bear Mountain road stormer. Unless the pic request I put up yields cold feelings on my part, I really want to have Azenis' on this car...
Did you have Pilot Sports or Pilot Sport 2s? No comparison in the two.

FactoryFast
04-13-09, 07:53 PM
Did you have Pilot Sports or Pilot Sport 2s? No comparison in the two.

I had pilot sports. Soft Sidewalls cost me close to a thousand dollars in replacements over a one year period...

thebigjimsho
04-13-09, 07:58 PM
I had pilot sports. Soft Sidewalls cost me close to a thousand dollars in replacements over a one year period...
go with PS2s, then...

Koooop
04-13-09, 11:47 PM

Your research is correct, the Direzza's in fact really suck ass. I had them removed from my V and tossed in the trash where they belong.

Get the PS2's.

T.G.
04-14-09, 08:55 AM
I'm running some Nitto NT-05's - no complaints here so far. Wet and dry traction both seem great.

Indy CTS-V
06-22-09, 04:49 PM
i guess since this was brought back up again I should ask my question now. I just purchased goodyear f1 fioranos in 265-40 18's. I will be running them at all 4 corners. Will i be able to lower my car with these tires? I know they are slightly shorter but also wider than stock. Has anyone done this successfully without rubbing the fenders?

I was wondering the same thing. Just purchased a set of four tires that are 265/40ZR18 (BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW) and hoping they will fit. The rears already had a set of KD's on them...but apparently they dont make the KD's anymore...so I had to go with KDW's. Anybody have the answer to this question? Am I going to have rubbing issues in the front? Currently running stock suspension....no mods to suspension yet.

CTSV_510
06-22-09, 04:55 PM
I have 265/40 KDs all around and will be lowering my car sometime in the next month but I don't have any answers for you now.

I have no rubbing now and though they look close in the front, I think I can still drop an inch without an issue.

Paisan
06-23-09, 09:00 AM
Your research is correct, the Direzza's in fact really suck ass. I had them removed from my V and tossed in the trash where they belong.

Get the PS2's.

Hmm, I wonder if it's the weight of the CTS that is the problem. I run the D1 Direzzas on my Legacy GT for summer/track and have put 10-15 track days on them and 20k street miles and just came back from NJMP where I did 2 back to back sessions (about 55 min) with them and they didn't even get greasy.

I am looking for street/wet tires for the CTS-V though.

-mike

Edit: I think the Dunlops in question are very different from my starspec D1s....

BirdmanTamu
06-23-09, 10:46 AM

Get the PS2's.

:lies:
If you're referring to the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's, your research is INCORRECT and your statement is FALSE. But then again, I'm in Texas where an extreme performance summer tire is quite useful. Mine stick like glue.

MSOsr
06-23-09, 11:53 AM
I don't race my car, but I do like to drive "aggressively" from time to time. On the other hand, I don't want to buy tires every year. I ended up buying the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums in 245/45/18. Cost me $770 out the door, with road hazard warranty, free lifetime rotation, etc. They have a UTOG rating of 600 and are guaranteed for 40,000 miles.

The ride is much more comfortable than the stock runflats and I haven't noticed any decrease in performance yet. I still go around the same corners at the speeds I did before and the traction has been fine. Traction in wet weather (summer in Florida) is markedly better than the runflats.

Sure, my tires aren't appropriate for some guys, but they are great for me.

Mike

thebigjimsho
06-23-09, 12:03 PM
I don't race my car, but I do like to drive "aggressively" from time to time. On the other hand, I don't want to buy tires every year. I ended up buying the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums in 245/45/18. Cost me $770 out the door, with road hazard warranty, free lifetime rotation, etc. They have a UTOG rating of 600 and are guaranteed for 40,000 miles.

The ride is much more comfortable than the stock runflats and I haven't noticed any decrease in performance yet. I still go around the same corners at the speeds I did before and the traction has been fine. Traction in wet weather (summer in Florida) is markedly better than the runflats.

Sure, my tires aren't appropriate for some guys, but they are great for me.

Mike
You better be getting a MUCH more comfortable ride with those. They're Grand Touring tires. But if you like them, that's great. Although it's Michelin competitor is a tire I considered putting on my Town Car...

Paisan
06-23-09, 03:48 PM
:lies:
If you're referring to the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's, your research is INCORRECT and your statement is FALSE. But then again, I'm in Texas where an extreme performance summer tire is quite useful. Mine stick like glue.

I looked on tirerack, apparently there is a Direzza tire that is some kind of grand touring tire for like $150/each, I'm guessing that's what they were referring to. I agree with you on the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, great tires, that's what I run on the track with my Legacy :) doing 30-50 min sessions with them and no greasing up at all.

-mike

Koooop
06-23-09, 04:37 PM
Dunlop Direzza something 101. I don't remember, but they sucked balls, slippery like snot in the desert, didn't hook up wet and handled like crap in the cool beach weather. Those put a new meaning to all season, they suck in all seasons.

Get the PS2's

MSOsr
06-23-09, 10:27 PM
You better be getting a MUCH more comfortable ride with those. They're Grand Touring tires. But if you like them, that's great. Although it's Michelin competitor is a tire I considered putting on my Town Car...

Yes, the ride is MUCH more comfortable.

To be honest with you, at 60+ years old, I don't need to act like a boy racer or jar the false teeth out of my friends' mouths when going over a bump in the road. My friends love the look and feel of my car.

To each his own........

Mike

thebigjimsho
06-23-09, 11:53 PM
Yes, the ride is MUCH more comfortable.

To be honest with you, at 60+ years old, I don't need to act like a boy racer or jar the false teeth out of my friends' mouths when going over a bump in the road. My friends love the look and feel of my car.

To each his own........

Mike
I wasn't trying to put you down. The problem is with tires that soft on a car with a stiffer suspension setup is that in normal driving you'll be fine. But if you play a little and get into a corner too hot, you can go well over 100% of the tire's ability and get some funky handling.

Koooop
06-24-09, 01:12 AM
I bet there's some white walls out there somewhere.

thebigjimsho
06-24-09, 01:20 AM
I bet there's some white walls out there somewhere.
There already are. But since they're red, it's sooopa kool...

CTSV_Rob
06-24-09, 12:20 PM
Running the GS-D3's on mine, very happy with them so far.

bpitas
06-24-09, 01:33 PM
I have GS-D3s on mine, and while they are amazing in the wet (the % of wet grip versus dry is amazingly high), on my car they seem much noisier than the KDW2s I'm coming from, and the dry performance isn't very impressive. I'll probably try either the 615s or PS2s next. My car's pretty low, so I'm not sure if I can do it without rubbing, but I'd also like to try 265/35 versus the 255/40 I have on there now...

Koooop
06-25-09, 12:12 AM
Running the GS-D3's on mine, very happy with them so far.

You could have had PS2's, they're worth it.

rangerrob
06-25-09, 02:55 AM
why is everyone talking about direzzas, 615s, gs-d3s, and ps2s, but leaving out Nitto Invos? I've got some collecting dust waiting to be thrown on as soon as i get stateside, but just curious as to why no one is talking about them??? i got mine from a corvette forum 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 shipped for $999 :)

CTSV_Rob
06-25-09, 12:36 PM
You could have had PS2's, they're worth it.
Just paid $150 ea +shipping for a new 275/35/19 GS-D3. I doubt I would have gotten the PS2's for that price :D

CTSV_Rob
06-25-09, 01:12 PM
I have GS-D3s on mine, and while they are amazing in the wet (the % of wet grip versus dry is amazingly high), on my car they seem much noisier than the KDW2s I'm coming from, and the dry performance isn't very impressive. I'll probably try either the 615s or PS2s next. My car's pretty low, so I'm not sure if I can do it without rubbing, but I'd also like to try 265/35 versus the 255/40 I have on there now...

Well that wasn't my experience. I had the KDW2's on mine and I was all over the place so I nicknamed the V TL (Traction Limited). The dry traction on the GS-D3's are much better than the Toyo TR1's which were better than the KDW2's.

My freind had a similiar reaction with the KDW2's on his Mustang.

Koooop
06-25-09, 04:05 PM
Just paid $150 ea +shipping for a new 275/35/19 GS-D3. I doubt I would have gotten the PS2's for that price :D

I was sucked into the less expensive GS-D3 once as well.

TBJS beat the PS2 into my head. :thepan:

Plus the PS2 is lasting much longer than the GS-D3's did so I'm recovering the extra cost in miles. I haven't really checked the mileage, but I'm guessing 35% (maybe more) longer life than the GS-D3 vs. PS2. AnD the PS2 is a better tire, less axle tramp, better hook up in wet, dry and heat...

You will break down and get the PS2's eventually, then you'll agree.

I just have to say it again, the Dunlops Direzza's I had sucked azz. A big part of the reason I got the DS-D3 was Goodyear gave me a big fat credit toward the purchase of the GS-D3 since I complained loudly about the Direzza. The GS-D2 is great tire but the sidewall was not stout enough for the great weight of the behemoth Cadillac.

Can you say Moo?

ahahnu
06-25-09, 08:21 PM
as soon as i get stateside Excuse me while I thread jack my own thread, When's that Rob?

HartmanV
06-25-09, 09:56 PM
Rob, I run the Invo's and love them!!
Will probabally be the only tire I will run, with the exception of PS2's possibly next turn.

rangerrob
06-26-09, 07:50 AM
Excuse me while I thread jack my own thread, When's that Rob?

3 weeks left! can't wait to get out of this shithole and put on my new shoes! and drink beer, lots and lots of beer... :alchi:

ahahnu
06-26-09, 08:36 AM
3 weeks left! can't wait to get out of this shithole and put on my new shoes! and drink beer, lots and lots of beer... :alchi:

Excellent! :alchi:Ofcourse we want you home and safe, but can't wait to hear mod stories with pics of all the new hazard pay goodies you're going to add to the V!

thebigjimsho
06-26-09, 11:39 AM
...and slip into some plaid...tires...

ahahnu
06-26-09, 12:13 PM
The new digital camo is almost plaid. Lots o little boxes.

CTSV_Rob
06-26-09, 08:37 PM
I was sucked into the less expensive GS-D3 once as well.

TBJS beat the PS2 into my head. :thepan:

Plus the PS2 is lasting much longer than the GS-D3's did so I'm recovering the extra cost in miles. I haven't really checked the mileage, but I'm guessing 35% (maybe more) longer life than the GS-D3 vs. PS2. AnD the PS2 is a better tire, less axle tramp, better hook up in wet, dry and heat...

You will break down and get the PS2's eventually, then you'll agree.

I just have to say it again, the Dunlops Direzza's I had sucked azz. A big part of the reason I got the DS-D3 was Goodyear gave me a big fat credit toward the purchase of the GS-D3 since I complained loudly about the Direzza. The GS-D2 is great tire but the sidewall was not stout enough for the great weight of the behemoth Cadillac.

Can you say Moo?
Not running the GS-D2's (see your post above :)). If I were on 18's I could see where that might be a problem but since I am on 19's with the same overall OD this means my side walls are shorter so less flex. I can throw this car into a turn and it feels solid, not so on the KDW2's. If I use the Run crap's as a guide I would say with the setup I have it is very comparable to the F1's and I liked the ride with those. Seems to have better traction in a straight line but it has been a while since I have driven on the F1's so I am not sure about this.

Yeah, maybe the next set will be PS2's but I am holding out to hear more about the Invo's. I am hoping someone currently running the PS2's will try them so we can get a real comparison on the tires.

I heard the Vette guys are runnning the invo's but I haven't heard yet if they like them or not or how they compare.

Holy shit, At discount tires direct it would cost me $460 for each tire (PS2's) on the rear, ouch.

Koooop
06-28-09, 10:36 PM
I meant GS-D3's you bunghole!

w07364
07-13-09, 04:37 PM
I drive around 15-20k miles per year. I got 15k miles out of my F1s and refused to pay $1,800 for a set of tires that I would need to replace yearly.

I am now on my third set of Kumho ECSTA ASX 255/45 R18s. I get them from Tire Rack for $157 each, they are quiet on the road, and last 25,000 miles with my driving. I don't do a bunch of burnouts but shift hard at 2nd and 3rd regularly, I like windy roads, and normally drive around 80mph on the freeway.

On the down side, they aren't as sticky as the performance tires so I am giving up some in the area of cornering....... I have noticed on cold mornings they will feel slightly out of balance for about 1-2 miles and then it goes away. I am assuming this is some type of flat spot that develops as a result of the harder tire compound sitting out in the cold at night. Like I said, it goes away within a couple of miles. The oversize tire does throw the spedometer off by one mph. If the spedo shows 80 mph the car is actually doing 81 mph. I've had a couple of flats but that's why I have AAA. If I had the runflats, I'd still need to go directly to a tire shop to get the tire fixed. I'd probably just be there a little faster.

I don't have any rubbing issues but I am running stock springs. If you are running lowered springs it might be more of a problem with clearance when turning or entering driveways.

The tires also have a good rim protection groove, which along with the additional width does very well in protecting the rims from curb rash.

Considering what I am giving up in traction, along with the number of miles I drive yearly, I'm very happy with my tire choice and plan to purchase another set when the current ones wear out.

Junior1
07-13-09, 07:26 PM
Need some clarification here: Why does everyone seem to make the PS2's out to be expensive when they are cheaper than the stock tires??? Are they expensive compared to the other non-oem tires on the market? Or am I looking at the wrong PS2's? LOL

thebigjimsho
07-13-09, 08:31 PM
PS2s are more expensive than most. But you get great dry grip, exceptional wet grip, a good ride, excellent steering stability, wonderfully precise turn-in along with good wear...

Koooop
07-13-09, 08:36 PM
I drive around 15-20k miles per year. I got 15k miles out of my F1s and refused to pay $1,800 for a set of tires that I would need to replace yearly.

I am now on my third set of Kumho ECSTA ASX 255/45 R18s. I get them from Tire Rack for $157 each, they are quiet on the road, and last 25,000 miles with my driving. I don't do a bunch of burnouts but shift hard at 2nd and 3rd regularly, I like windy roads, and normally drive around 80mph on the freeway.

On the down side, they aren't as sticky as the performance tires so I am giving up some in the area of cornering....... I have noticed on cold mornings they will feel slightly out of balance for about 1-2 miles and then it goes away. I am assuming this is some type of flat spot that develops as a result of the harder tire compound sitting out in the cold at night. Like I said, it goes away within a couple of miles. The oversize tire does throw the spedometer off by one mph. If the spedo shows 80 mph the car is actually doing 81 mph. I've had a couple of flats but that's why I have AAA. If I had the runflats, I'd still need to go directly to a tire shop to get the tire fixed. I'd probably just be there a little faster.

I don't have any rubbing issues but I am running stock springs. If you are running lowered springs it might be more of a problem with clearance when turning or entering driveways.

The tires also have a good rim protection groove, which along with the additional width does very well in protecting the rims from curb rash.

Considering what I am giving up in traction, along with the number of miles I drive yearly, I'm very happy with my tire choice and plan to purchase another set when the current ones wear out.

You got 15K out of your F1's?

I got 7,800 miles out of my F1's and they were stone bald at each corner.

Kumho replacement tire for a C5 Corvette is excellent. I wonder how the F1 or PS2 compare to Kumho in actual performance on the CTS-V (for those of us with more spirited driving habits).

Koooop
07-13-09, 08:38 PM
PS2s are more expensive than most. But you get great dry grip, exceptional wet grip, a good ride, excellent steering stability, wonderfully precise turn-in along with good wear...

:yeah:...

Albertan
07-14-09, 12:30 AM
This month's "Car and (bmw) Driver" magazine has a comparison test with a number of tires. They use the PS2 as benchmark. Interesting read.
[(I actually have a bmw that I'm working on now so I don't mind the magazine as much as I used to!)

Koooop
07-14-09, 01:38 AM
[(I actually have a bmw that I'm working on now so I don't mind the magazine as much as I used to!)

(Working on a BMW)

Snicker.

MauiV
07-14-09, 03:42 AM
I got the Potenza RE-01s for $119 each. Im VERY happy with them, especially at the cut rate. Excellent gription leads to not much wheel spin, which leads to no wheel hop, even with the Maggie

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/Washed013.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-14-09, 08:27 AM
This month's "Car and (bmw) Driver" magazine has a comparison test with a number of tires. They use the PS2 as benchmark. Interesting read.
Yes, it was a good article. I just hope they make it into a series with different tires and different sizes...

Paisan
07-14-09, 11:21 AM
I put on a set of the KDWs a few weeks ago, so far so good.

-mike

Koooop
07-14-09, 03:36 PM
I got the Potenza RE-01s for $119 each. Im VERY happy with them, especially at the cut rate. Excellent gription leads to not much wheel spin, which leads to no wheel hop, even with the Maggie

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/Washed013.jpg

There isn't a single part of my V as clean as that wheel!

Junior1
07-14-09, 03:54 PM
I read that article too...can't go wrong with the benchmark
Anyways thats what I wanted to know, they are expensive compared to the other replacements out there, not compared to the original tires...