: dent in the hood from shutting it (07 lade)????

ecs177
02-21-07, 03:53 PM
am i going crazy or did i really create a depression in the hood when i shut it recently???? i went to shut the hood with both hands in like the center area... pressed down firmly but not too hard.. it felt like a created a depression in the hood and then afterwoods, while looking carefully, i swear there is something there..

am i going crazy?? can a hood dent that easily??? on a 70K truck?? anyone else have this issue???? whats the best way to shut the hood??? ridiculous i need to worry about this... right??? thanks:mad:

medlines
02-21-07, 04:19 PM
I had such an issue on a Merc CLK, and yes it can bend that easy you need to push it and before it latches you should take your hands off, as if you are throwing it, otherwise you are going to have some gaps.

ecs177
02-21-07, 04:26 PM
interesting.. you had this issue on a mercedes??? gosh i wish i didn't even have to think about something like that... its not so easy to 'throw' the hood down since it is high off the ground... i guess i could try to slam it down and let go of it before it latches.. shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this.. and to think i was trying to be gentle and not slam it down.. thank you

medlines
02-21-07, 05:03 PM
Slaming it is the only way to close it and you will not do any harm to the car and its closing components.

outofdablue
02-21-07, 05:16 PM
Yeah I noticed how flimsy the 07 sheetmetal is. 07's are as common as camry's around here, and I see so many with the wiggle in the sheetmetal on the doors. Most of them look like the owners ran it through a automatic car wash. Its crazy how cheap these things are made, after all these are trucks which are supposed to take a little beating.

hcvone
02-21-07, 07:34 PM
I have opened and closed the hood many times on my 07's and never had a problem, I use the chrome strip for closing.

dkozloski
02-21-07, 07:40 PM
You can also dent the fenders with your hands while testing the shocks and struts. A drunk stumbling into it can dent the door.

Synergetic
02-22-07, 04:58 AM
Sounds funny, but I grab the hook below the hood with my fingers and pull-slam it from there. I'm used to doing that before and after car shows to reduce finger/hand prints after a clean wax. Now its just a habit.

sj1400
02-22-07, 07:41 AM
HC is correct - use the chrome strip. I noticed when the hood gets close to closing the hood struts cushion/slow the hoods rate of closure. So if your pushing on the hood while the struts are slowing the rate - you run the risk of denting the metal.

hcvone
02-22-07, 08:09 AM
HC is correct - use the chrome strip. I noticed when the hood gets close to closing the hood struts cushion/slow the hoods rate of closure. So if your pushing on the hood while the struts are slowing the rate - you run the risk of denting the metal.

SJ, that is correct, the dampers slow the hood closing so it's not to slam. :)

ecs177
02-22-07, 09:23 AM
interesting .. thank you.. so now that i have apparently created a depression in the hood, is this something that can be easily fixed??? or are we talking about major surgery here...

sj1400
02-22-07, 10:03 AM
We would need to see the depression.. If your lucky maybe a good paintless dent service could remove the depression. Back in 05 I had door dings removed from a Mark 8 I bought used. Using long metal tools all the dings were removed. It was $75 per panel..

hcvone
02-22-07, 10:06 AM
As SJ said look in your phonebook for paintless dent removal either under body shop or detail shop, that would be your best bet and cheapest way to fit it.

grantwest
02-22-07, 11:21 AM
I have joined your Dent the hood when closeing club. I just noticed it the other day and thats the only thing I can think of I was the only person to open and close it so I guess I had to do it. My small dent is in the center of the hood real close to the chrome .

I had the daintless dent removal guy remove it. We hooked up in a local parking lot and he removed the dent in about 10 min's for $100.

Depending on where the dent is its tough. The hood have doubble metal near the latch so if you dent it over the doubble metal they need to get between the metal with there dent removal tools and its tough

hcvone
02-22-07, 02:09 PM
That of course is the only draw back with paintless dent removal, they have to be able to get under or behind to get the dent out, but if they can get to it there is no better way to fix the problem.

RCJFC888
02-23-07, 07:21 PM
I have two dents in the hood of my 07 from closing it. I never could figure out where they came from but they are perfectly spaced kind of like if someone left a tool under the hood and closed it but the dents are indented. The last time I took my truck in for service I asked if the service writer if he had seen anything like that before and he told me that there was a bulletin that came out explaining how to close the hood. He also told me that when they got the first 07's in they had to change three hoods because the techs were not aware that if you didn't close the hood properly you would create these dents. The dent guy fixed them for $150 but I think that the dealerships should explain this two us so we wouldn't have to pay for something created by just closing the hood especially on a brand new vehicle.

LLT
02-23-07, 11:46 PM
RCJFC888, your dealer is correct.

Subject: High Closing Effort of Hood (Align Hood Latch) #06-08-63-001 - (03/22/2006)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

Attention: Due to design changes incorporating the addition of a gas charged assist strut, the way in which the vehicles hood closes is different from the previous GM full-size utility vehicles. Customers should be instructed to lower the hood slowly to the secondary latch position (hood lowered to first engagement point) then push down firmly on the front edge of the hood to securely close it. You must only push on the rolled top edge of the hood at the very front. Do not push farther back on any flat section of the hood as you may dent the metal. If an attempt is made to "slam" the hood from a wide open point, the resistance of the gas strut may overcome the users input, and result in high closing effort. If the hood is closed properly and excessive pressure is still required to engage the latch, follow this Service Bulletin.

Condition

Some customers may comment that the hood is difficult or requires excessive pressure to latch.
Cause

The design of the new full-size vehicles listed above incorporates a gas strut to assist raising and holding the hood in a fully open position. When closing the hood you must first overcome the pressure of the gas hood strut, and then the secondary and primary hood latch positions. If the rubber bumpers are out of adjustment, or the hood latch is misaligned, excessive latching effort may be experienced.
Correction

Align the hood latch. Inspect and adjust the rubber hood bumpers as required using the following procedure.

1. Inspect the hood alignment for height, relative to the leading edge of the front fenders. This is the critical point for alignment to achieve good closing action.
2. Release the hood.

Notice: You must only push on the rolled top edge of the hood at the very front. Do not push farther back on any flat section of the hood as you may dent the metal.
3. If the hood was out of alignment, adjust the bumpers as needed to properly align the hood. Close and check the hood for proper alignment and closing action.
4. With the hood in the secondary latch position, you should be able to view the striker and the latch through the front opening of the hood.

Object Number: 1784544 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
5. Check the alignment of the striker. The striker should be centered in the primary latch as shown in the illustration above.
6. If the striker is out of alignment, loosen the three retaining bolts and adjust until the striker is centered.

Tip
You may wish to mark the latch position BEFORE adjusting to assist you in maintaining the original vertical alignment of the latch.
7. Secure the three latch retaining bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb in).
8. Confirm proper operation and effort to close the hood.

grantwest
02-24-07, 01:07 AM
I bet if more dealer were to read fourms like this and pass on information like what LLT posted most of these problems would not exist. I bet most of the people that visit these fourms know more about their caddy's then the people selling them

hcvone
02-24-07, 07:21 AM
LLT, thanks for the info as usual. :)

alpinewhite325i
02-24-07, 09:35 AM
Excellent info LLT..thanks.

BTW...where do you get this stuff??

(or is it confidential?)

ecs177
02-26-07, 11:29 AM
yea thanks LLT.. i hope everyone is real careful shutting their hood... i swear no one could have closed their hood as carefully and slowly as i did and i believe (although i have been unable to see it lately) that i did in fact dent the hood when closing... of course i did not depress on the exact edge of the hood - pushed down a little bit on the flat part in the center...

everyone be careful out there closing your hood!!

take care

hcvone
02-26-07, 12:35 PM
It's funny but the dealership I use, I deal with the sales manager, and while being a great guy and can not do enough for you, does not know much about mechanics, and he told me about the hood back in April when I got my first 07', that is how I found out.

Kappa-Lac
02-26-07, 11:48 PM
It's funny but the dealership I use, I deal with the sales manager, and while being a great guy and can not do enough for you, does not know much about mechanics, and he told me about the hood back in April when I got my first 07', that is how I found out.

Same here.....when I got my truck back in May, the dealer told me about the hood durring my "New owner walk through"

yourgmsolutions
02-27-07, 01:59 AM
I was a victim of that too. while was working on escalade, put a dent on the hood. but that time did not know about this problem, and end up paying for it

skahn1@aol.com
03-06-07, 10:00 AM
I did the exact same thing the 2nd day i had my 07 EXT. I was dismayed by my hood dent and how easy it was created. I now have an E&G heavy mesh grille that I close from the chrome hood piece.