: Bose tech info and upgrades

chev4life
02-21-07, 01:07 AM
Hey all...I am looking for the technical specs of the bose 5.1 system...power per channel (tweets, mids, sub, etc..), xover points, factory speaker resistances,..all that fun stuff.
Now on to the mod stuff lets start with the sub... the rear deck carries a (10?), can I swap a better more efficient sub in the back deck ( new panel of course) and run it off the factory amp? If I want to run an aftermarket amp what is the best way to get a good preamp signal from the factory NAV. I want to retain all factory controls, volume etc....maybe I will wire a remote gain from the amp.
For the rest of the speakers...has there been any problem just swapping over to better components and running factory wiring, amp, etc..? If I read other posts correctly I will be able to swap a the component 6.75 into the front door and the tweeter into the pillar...then a coax in the rear doors? Are the rear door speakers setup with a single input from the amp and then crossed over at the speaker for the tweeter?
Hope this isnt too long, but I am sure its info that alot of us would like in a nice consolidated area.

chev4life
02-21-07, 07:04 PM
Come on...with all the knowledge floating around this place no one has any info to share?

ctsvett
02-21-07, 10:49 PM
some of that stuff is on the FAQ... www.cadillacfaq.com... some is not available and hard to find...

Still some more (wiring) was recently removed from the FAQ because of GM.

check there. I know the subwoofer crossover is up there along with some other info on the system.

Reed

heavypedal
02-21-07, 11:35 PM
100 Hz on crossover for the sub. I want to do the same thing, and was willing to take out that weak 10" for an Punch or something that lends itself to a better free-air type application and is the slimmest (looking right around a 5" depth for bottom mount). That reminds me, I'd love a JL Audio sub again. Anywho, I was planning to go talk to my local car stereo joint about it. Will find out what I can and report back here.

I know someone switched out all the speakers for Infinity speakers and said it sounded great. But I'm thinking the speakers can only sound as good as the amplifier thats feeding it, so again...discussing with local stereo shop.

Thinking if I can find the ohm rating for the Bose system, I'd be set. Nope...don't have an ohm meter handy.

T

chev4life
02-22-07, 12:40 AM
People need to check out the Earthquake SWS subs...they are pretty amazing and SUPER thin. I am actually thinking of running a 12 or 15 in the back deck but mounting it upsidedown on a 1" trim panel. Maybe throwing a 500-1000 watt amp in the spare tire well. Need to figure out the RCA output to the amp though...any suggestions???

chev4life
02-22-07, 12:40 AM
Oh...link...http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm

austin
02-22-07, 06:29 AM
It's not 5.1.... There is no center channel. It's more like 4.1, (4 main speakers f&r), and the .1 is for the sub. Even though the tweeters add another two, they operate and fade as part of the fronts and don't count seperatly. :)

v-ape
02-22-07, 11:08 AM
^^^

No center channel? Whats that grating in the middle of the dash, air vent?

Leeman
02-22-07, 01:57 PM
What did GM force out of the faq and why ?

-- Lee

heavypedal
02-22-07, 03:41 PM
Good call...what the hell is in the middle of the dash then?!? I was thinking it was a center channel speaker too.

Check out Reed's thread about cadillac faq to get up to speed on what was taken out of www.cadillacfaq.com

chev4life
02-22-07, 05:40 PM
Are you sure it isnt 5.1? Thats not cool if they advertise 5.1 and dont actually give it to us and on top of that put a speaker grill in the middle of the dash. I will have to look into that.
Oh...still...anyone know a good way to an amp ready signal output out of the stock setup?

austin
02-22-07, 06:48 PM
There may indeed be a speaker there. But there is no controlling it, like one would with a true center channel 5.1 speaker system. Maybe it's just for chimes, noises, and voice navigation? I have never heard it.

ssmith100
02-22-07, 06:56 PM
It is a true center channel. You have to turn the DSP mode on. It works very well on the DVD player. It isn't controllable though. All voice and nav commands come out of the driver's side door peaker.

Shane