: Does $350.00 sound right for a brake job.

V-Love
02-20-07, 09:36 PM
I dropped my car in for some repairs. My man called me and said the brakes were shot. He said to grind the front rotors and replace the pads it would be $350.00. He said stock pads were like $200.00. I was wondering what everyone here has paid for brake jobs. Also, how much are the race pads that you track and mod guys use?
I thought it was kind of high but I OK'd the work. They take good care of me there.
Next time I will do my own. Thankyou FAQ. Payment coming real soon.

rgd
02-20-07, 11:45 PM
To turn the rotors $30/40 for both.
Pads, front and back OEM about $90/100.
After market Hawk or equiv around $200/225.

If you are mechanical, it is a fairly easy job.

rgd
02-20-07, 11:48 PM
track pads run 250 front 200 rear aprox

$450-500 total

rand49er
02-21-07, 08:20 AM
... If you are mechanical, it is a fairly easy job.I've done brake jobs in the past, and the V is about the easiest I've seen to do the pads. Check out the FAQ:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bpadchange/index.html

I haven't done the rotors, and the FAQ doesn't have that (yet).

Hey, V-Love, how many miles do you have on those brakes?

V-Love
02-21-07, 08:51 AM
I've done brake jobs in the past, and the V is about the easiest I've seen to do the pads. Check out the FAQ:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bpadchange/index.html

I haven't done the rotors, and the FAQ doesn't have that (yet).

Hey, V-Love, how many miles do you have on those brakes?

About 22 thousand with 3 track days.

valdeztke
02-21-07, 08:58 AM
jack it up - whip the wheels and rotors off. Take them somewhere to be turned (or just use this as a reason to get some drilled ones from James/Luke @ Lindsay :thumbsup: ) and do it all yourself.

Thats my recommendation.

Ak Jim
02-21-07, 02:01 PM
If you are tracking your car, in my opinion, you would be better off getting new rotors. Turned rotors will some times warp easier due to the reduction of thermal mass.

Dreamin
02-21-07, 04:48 PM
You dont need the rotors 'grinded' (aka resurfaced, aka 'turned') with only 22K miles on them... (typical dealer scam). If they are warped, i.e. bad steering wheel shake when you apply brakes, they should be replaced.
Just have them change the pads. They'll come up with every excuse in the book to grind the rotor... "You'll get uneven wear; the brakes will squeal; you'll have steering wheel shake". Just have them change the pads.

Front stock pads $113.55 (from Lindsay)

V-Love
02-21-07, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys. I let them do it this time but I will handle this from now on. I will upgrade next time.