: Question about Lingenfelter CAI

tweeter81
02-20-07, 02:17 PM
Hey all,

I was wondering what the difference in the newer version of the Lingenfelter Cold Air Intake Kit for our Vs is? I have the kit from a couple of years ago and it appears that the new kit has a much smaller cone-style air filter. Is this correct? If someone knows the answer please let me know because it is about time to clean my old air filter and I have never liked how tight the fit was, so if the new filter is smaller I might just go with that one.

C.J.

Also, if it is smaller, and I am not just imagining things, does anybody have the K&N part number for just the air filter? I will need to order it separate.

tweeter81
02-22-07, 12:39 PM
I hate bumping threads, but somebody has to know the answer to my question.

heavypedal
02-22-07, 03:49 PM
Sorry tweeter, pitching from left field on this one. I have the LPE CAI and I don't think the new K&N oval filter is any different. What made you think it was smaller? You may be just looking at the small part of the oval....or looking at the K&N kit...they have a smaller, stubbier round cone filter. Summary: I think you might be seeing things. Apply two beers to your stomach and look again ;)

T

heavypedal
02-22-07, 03:52 PM
You are talking about this one right?

tweeter81
02-22-07, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I think you are right about the beers...

I must have been seeing another version of the LPE system (for another vehicle) in pictures that stated it was for the CTS-V. No worries, although I still have to get that bitch (air filter) out of their and clean her up.

C.J.

1Sonterra
04-28-07, 09:43 PM
You are talking about this one right?

That is a sweet looking engine bay! I am wanting to get the Z06V FRC's but having a hard time finding them already modified......and I was interested in the LPE CAI. Been reading through the threads...what is the biggest difference between the LPE and the K&N for our cars?

A1beshouri
04-28-07, 11:58 PM
I hate bumping threads, but somebody has to know the answer to my question.

Tweeter81, are you at all associated w/ the electronics company Tweeter or are you named for something else

CTSV_Rob
04-29-07, 03:03 PM
Quick question to all of the experenced modders out there...

I am looking into putting a new cold air filter on the V and I was wondering which ne would be the best.

The ones I have found so far are:
1- Volant Cold air intake
2- Lingenfelter CAI
3- K&N AirCharger
4- Stealth V free air flow kit w/K&N replacement filter
5- Are there any others?

The only reason Stealth V is #4 is because I cannot get it. I read there web site and it makes sense, if this was still available I would probably go with this option if it fit the 2007 CTS-V.

Since the Stealth V kit is not available I am leaning toward the Volant because of the encolsed box. When I clean the engine compartment the Air cleaner shouldn't get wet. Also, it replaces the tube between the throttle body and the MAF Sensor. The stock unit appears to be a bit restrictive but I don't know that for fact.

The thing I don't know is how efficent the 3 kits are, how well they are built, and how well they were engineered to fit in the existing location of the stock air box.

I have searched the site and didn't find any info comparing the three. I saw pictures of all of the kits so any help anyone could give me on this one would be appreciated.:bouncy:

-RZ

SkullV
04-29-07, 03:38 PM
I have the K&N and I love it....the only thing I don't like about it is that it sounds like a brake pad squeal when the engine is pulling air (does anyone else have that?)

1Sonterra
04-29-07, 07:27 PM
Quick question to all of the experenced modders out there...

I am looking into putting a new cold air filter on the V and I was wondering which ne would be the best.

The ones I have found so far are:
1- Volant Cold air intake
2- Lingenfelter CAI
3- K&N AirCharger
4- Stealth V free air flow kit w/K&N replacement filter
5- Are there any others?

The only reason Stealth V is #4 is because I cannot get it. I read there web site and it makes sense, if this was still available I would probably go with this option if it fit the 2007 CTS-V.

Since the Stealth V kit is not available I am leaning toward the Volant because of the encolsed box. When I clean the engine compartment the Air cleaner shouldn't get wet. Also, it replaces the tube between the throttle body and the MAF Sensor. The stock unit appears to be a bit restrictive but I don't know that for fact.

The thing I don't know is how efficent the 3 kits are, how well they are built, and how well they were engineered to fit in the existing location of the stock air box.

I have searched the site and didn't find any info comparing the three. I saw pictures of all of the kits so any help anyone could give me on this one would be appreciated.:bouncy:

-RZ

I am in the same buying zone as above....any additional feedback would be appreciated.

:patriot:

dqw1
04-29-07, 08:09 PM
I'm using the LPE CAI and have no issues with it after you get it on. It's a very tight fit! I removed the snorkle also but never had water get into the filter. I checked for water after driving in heavy rain.
Before the LPE I used the K&N drop in filter which takes all of 10 minutes to install. I never heard any noise with the K&N.
I don't know of any difference performance wise between the two by themselves. Don't believe the BS HP gains qouted in advertisements. The gain is minimal. The LPE looks better if that's what you want, same for Volant.

Ronsv
04-29-07, 09:54 PM
Does the Lingenfelter CAI use the factory "squeeze tube"? In other words, do you change the plastic tube between the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor?

SkullV
04-29-07, 10:07 PM
Does anyone have an engine bay pic with the K&N Aircharger? Mine looks like it is WAY too close to the pulley.

tweeter81
04-29-07, 11:08 PM
Tweeter81, are you at all associated w/ the electronics company Tweeter or are you named for something else

I'm not associated with any company. I got the nickname Tweeder in high school because people thought I looked like that character on Varsity Blues. A girlfriend of mine at the time set me up a hotmail account and used tweeter81 instead of tweeder82 (82 was the character's jersey number). So it was off a little bit, but I stuck with it.

Also to answer one of the later questions. I have had the Lingenfelter CAI on my car since it was new and have never had any problems with it. Right away you notice that the engine sounds louder and sometimes if your window is open you can hear a sucking sound (under slight acceleration) coming from the air filter area due to the design, but it is not that noticeable.

I have never (to my knowledge) had any water get into the filter and if I wash the engine bay I just cover the filter with some cardboard or something and it is fine.

trukk
04-30-07, 11:48 AM
Does the Lingenfelter CAI use the factory "squeeze tube"? In other words, do you change the plastic tube between the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor?

LPE CAI does not replace the 'squeeze tube'.

I replaced my 'squeeze tube', with a used version of the Stealth V FFV, that I bought from a forum member on the cheap. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Most of that gain though, I will attribute to it being the largest bottle neck in a system I had already 'opened up' with supporting mods (LPE CAI & Ported TB, Cat back & High Flow Cats.)

FWIW, you can easily roll your own replacement 'squeeze' tube, with some high temp silicone elbows and a pipe. There is a post on here somewhere with a parts list, I think the do-it-yourself price was about $40-$50 bucks.

-Chris

Ronsv
04-30-07, 08:48 PM
Thanks Chris, by all means trash the squeeze tube as you said!
However the lingenfelter kit will allow 06 and 07 LS2 V's to use their cold air induction without throwing codes, as removal of the squeeze tube will set a code in LS2 V's, nothing a tune can't fix :D
Made my cold air induction as you did, and saved a bunch of cash.
Checking for a buddy with an 06 V, thanks for the info!