: HOW TO: Fix Noise from dash in cold weather

iametarq
02-20-07, 11:59 AM
This is the revised thread that does not ask for passwords to see the pictures hopefully.

Service VME - Inside Air Temperature Sensor Noisy #PI00484 - (Sep 19, 2002)
Service VME -- Inside Air Temperature Sensor Noisy

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.
SERVICE VME

This message concerns Inside Air Temperature sensor noisy on Seville. Some owners of 1998 through 2002 Cadillac Sevilles may comment that they hear a noise in the left side of the instrument panel on cold starts. This noise may be described as a grind, growl, hum, whine, or squeal. They may also comment that they hear a fan noise while driving. This condition may be caused by the Inside Air Temperature sensor. The sensor has a small fan motor which pulls air across the sensor. It was found that if the fan speed is too high it will cause a vibration and noise. The fan motor was changed to control the speed in March, 2002, at VIN 2U254713. There was no part number change, but GMSPO stock was purged of the old sensor assembly. The part number for this piece is 25640104.

This HOWTO is to supplement your Factory Service Manual. I'm not a professional.

Since you cannot edit your posts after so many days or something on this site, I'm reposting with the new image links. Mods feel free to delete the initial post on this thread.

This how-to details how to replace the cabin air temperature sensor. This sensor has a fan built into it that after time will make a "whirring" or "humming" sound on cold mornings. The sound does go away after the car has warmed up. But if you're like me, that got really annoying after one and a three quarter winters of putting up with it. Part Required: GM: 25640104 - (about $34 with shipping) I ordered mine through GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts my dealer wanted $45

This how-to details how to replace the cabin air temperature sensor. This sensor has a fan built into it that after time will make a "whirring" or "humming" sound on cold mornings. The sound does go away after the car has warmed up. But if you're like me, that got really annoying after one and a three quarter winters of putting up with it.

Part Required: GM: 25640104 - (about $34 with shipping) I ordered mine through www.gmpartsdirect.com my dealer wanted $45
Also try www.gmotors.com must faster shipping!!

This HOWTO is to supplement your Factory Service Manual. I'm not a professional.

If you want to see all of my pictures from the repair they are available here: http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/

Time Required: 30 minutes

Tools Required: Small hands, 7mm socket, 12"-16" extension, long flexible grabber or long magnet rod, very small plastic putty knife or stiff flat piece of plastic (to remove small grill on dashboard)

1. Remove the side access panel located on the left end side of the dashboard on the drivers side:
http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3566.jpg

2. Remove the retaining screw to 90%, not all the way. Use your 7mm socket with long extension. In this picture the retaining screw is removed. It is in the upper left of the picture:
http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3570.jpg

3. For the last 10% use one of those long "grabber" tools to grab the end of the screw and pull it out. If you have a megnetic socket you'll be fine. Otherwise the retaining screw will be lost to who knows where:
http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3569.jpg

4. Small hands come into play here. To remove the sensor I found it impossible to pull it out of the space, except by pulling it out with the wiring harness end coming out FIRST. This is like having the baby come out head first, you WANT it that way. Just ask your wife. Pulling the sensor out Open/Sensor end first did not work for me. Harness end first came out easily. Plan on spending a few minutes (5-10 minutes) here with your fingers trying to position the sensor correctly for removal.

5. Once the sensor is out, unplug the wiring harness.

6. Reach for new sensor, plug harness in.

7. Remove the little grill piece from the dash:
http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3571.jpg

8. Insert new sensor back into confined space sensor end first.

9. Using your very skilled hands, use one to position the sensor toward the opening in the dash, and the other to manuever the sensor end through the grill hole. Otherwise your sensor will probably not fill the hole corretly and will look silly (yes I didn't do this this way the first time)

10. Once your sensor is in place, grab the retaining screw with your grabber tool and insert it into the hole and thread it a few times until it will stay in place on its own.

11. Finish screwing down the retaining screw with your 7mm socket.

12. Make sure the sensor end doesn't look screwy on the dash.

13. Reinsert grill piece.

14. Replace side access panel cover.

All done!

I am not responsible for any mishaps or injuries, bodily or to the vehicle incurred during this procedure. I'm not a professional, only a home mechanic. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, have a professional do it for you. Thank You.

For the do-it-yourselfer, it looks like you can save an extra $15-$20 buy just buying the new fan itself. the model number is: AD0412MS-G70 I found a site via google that sells it for $14.50.

I would imagine all you'd have to do is unsolder the two wires from the circuit board on the sensor and then solder the new wires from the new fan in it's place. The sensor housing is hinged. Again, take a look at it from the link at the top of the page for all the pictures.
http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3599.jpg

mtflight
02-22-07, 05:45 PM
As always, great post. I don't own a Seville but reading your post and seeing the pictures was worthwhile anyway. :thumbsup:

weister42
02-24-07, 01:56 PM
I have a 1998 Deville and I have this problem, but I think it has something to do with the blower motor because my nosie is coming from the center of the dash and goes away once my car warms up. The noise changes pitch when the car go over bumps and when I turn the steering wheel. If I pry the blower motor's electrical plug just a bit the noise goes away. In the summer I have to push the electrical plug in the opposite way for the noise to go away.

Submariner409
07-20-07, 04:30 PM
:rolleyes: There were several threads concerning the climate control dash fan whine over the past year. Here's a little PM that may help. Make a small hook out of thin, strong wire. Gently ease the 1 1/4" square grille off the dash. Be careful of the thermistor behind the grille. Look down the tunnel with a good flashlight. Lots of fuzz? Start the car and turn OFF the A/C, but leave the climate control ON with the fan on #2 speed. Using a can of computer cleaner air spray, with the tube in the nozzle, blow the fuzz off everything you can see, including the fan blades. The fuzz and dust will fall on your floor mats. Shut down and reinstall the little grille. Done deal. (BTW, it appears the muffin fan runs 24/7, so it eats a lot of dust)

kckranz
12-11-09, 09:02 AM
:thankyou:

Bumping to make this easier to find because 'tis the season. I'm going to oil my noisy fan this weekend.

Submariner409
12-16-09, 09:51 AM
I'll add something that wasn't included 2 years ago..........

See the label on the muffin fan ??? Under that label is a rubber plug which seals the end of the blade axle. There's an E-clip which holds the blades on. Peel back the label, pull the plug or sticky patch, and put one drop of oil on the E-clip and spin the blades a bit. Replace the rubber plug or seal patch.
Good to go for another 5 years.

2001_Seville_SLS
06-25-10, 01:57 AM
Thanks guys. I gave mine half a drop of oil. One drop was too big for the space, so I blotted out the excess before sealing it back up. I put a finger on the screw to remove it without falling in, and used a poor man's grabber to put it back in. That is white electrical tape holding the screw in the photo. Mine came out easy harness end last. I just had to spin it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

The true test won't come until it cools down. If it is noisy in the fall, I'll replace it with the updated slower speed fan.

iametarq
11-18-10, 11:58 PM
Revised thread with fixed pictures.

Service VME - Inside Air Temperature Sensor Noisy #PI00484 - (Sep 19, 2002)
Service VME -- Inside Air Temperature Sensor Noisy

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.
SERVICE VME

This message concerns Inside Air Temperature sensor noisy on Seville. Some owners of 1998 through 2002 Cadillac Sevilles may comment that they hear a noise in the left side of the instrument panel on cold starts. This noise may be described as a grind, growl, hum, whine, or squeal. They may also comment that they hear a fan noise while driving. This condition may be caused by the Inside Air Temperature sensor. The sensor has a small fan motor which pulls air across the sensor. It was found that if the fan speed is too high it will cause a vibration and noise. The fan motor was changed to control the speed in March, 2002, at VIN 2U254713. There was no part number change, but GMSPO stock was purged of the old sensor assembly. The part number for this piece is 25640104.

Since you cannot edit your posts after so many days or something on this site, I'm reposting with the new image links. Mods feel free to delete the initial post on this thread.

This how-to details how to replace the cabin air temperature sensor. This sensor has a fan built into it that after time will make a "whirring" or "humming" sound on cold mornings. The sound does go away after the car has warmed up. But if you're like me, that got really annoying after one and a three quarter winters of putting up with it. Part Required: GM: 25640104 - (about $34 with shipping) I ordered mine through GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts my dealer wanted $45

This how-to details how to replace the cabin air temperature sensor. This sensor has a fan built into it that after time will make a "whirring" or "humming" sound on cold mornings. The sound does go away after the car has warmed up. But if you're like me, that got really annoying after one and a three quarter winters of putting up with it.

Part Required: GM: 25640104 - (about $34 with shipping) I ordered mine through www.gmpartsdirect.com my dealer wanted $45
Also try www.gmotors.com must faster shipping!!

If you want to see all of my pictures from the repair they are available here: http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/

Time Required: 30 minutes

Tools Required: Small hands, 7mm socket, 12"-16" extension, long flexible grabber or long magnet rod, very small plastic putty knife or stiff flat piece of plastic (to remove small grill on dashboard)

1. Remove the side access panel located on the left end side of the dashboard on the drivers side:
http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3566.jpg

2. Remove the retaining screw to 90%, not all the way. Use your 7mm socket with long extension. In this picture the retaining screw is removed. It is in the upper left of the picture:
http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3570.jpg

3. For the last 10% use one of those long "grabber" tools to grab the end of the screw and pull it out. If you have a megnetic socket you'll be fine. Otherwise the retaining screw will be lost to who knows where:
http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3569.jpg

4. Small hands come into play here. To remove the sensor I found it impossible to pull it out of the space, except by pulling it out with the wiring harness end coming out FIRST. This is like having the baby come out head first, you WANT it that way. Just ask your wife. Pulling the sensor out Open/Sensor end first did not work for me. Harness end first came out easily. Plan on spending a few minutes (5-10 minutes) here with your fingers trying to position the sensor correctly for removal.

5. Once the sensor is out, unplug the wiring harness.

6. Reach for new sensor, plug harness in.

7. Remove the little grill piece from the dash:
http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3571.jpg

8. Insert new sensor back into confined space sensor end first.

9. Using your very skilled hands, use one to position the sensor toward the opening in the dash, and the other to manuever the sensor end through the grill hole. Otherwise your sensor will probably not fill the hole corretly and will look silly (yes I didn't do this this way the first time)

10. Once your sensor is in place, grab the retaining screw with your grabber tool and insert it into the hole and thread it a few times until it will stay in place on its own.

11. Finish screwing down the retaining screw with your 7mm socket.

12. Make sure the sensor end doesn't look screwy on the dash.

13. Reinsert grill piece.

14. Replace side access panel cover.

All done!

I am not responsible for any mishaps or injuries, bodily or to the vehicle incurred during this procedure. I'm not a professional, only a home mechanic. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, have a professional do it for you. Thank You.

For the do-it-yourselfer, it looks like you can save an extra $15-$20 buy just buying the new fan itself. the model number is: AD0412MS-G70 I found a site via google that sells it for $14.50.

I would imagine all you'd have to do is unsolder the two wires from the circuit board on the sensor and then solder the new wires from the new fan in it's place. The sensor housing is hinged. Again, take a look at it from the link at the top of the page for all the pictures.
http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/.cache/640x480-IMG_3599.jpg

Submariner409
11-23-10, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the update - BUT in the second picture the module retainer hex bolt hole is in the upper right, not the upper left.

iametarq
12-28-10, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the update - BUT in the second picture the module retainer hex bolt hole is in the upper right, not the upper left.

Damn it, forgot to have my wife proof read my work. :thepan:

ghettocaddie
01-13-13, 04:06 AM
How does the panel on the side of the dash come off? just pull on it?

Ranger
01-14-13, 11:05 AM
Yes.