: CTS-V Battery Options??

CTS-BV
02-19-07, 09:56 PM
Okay, so I would like to replace my Delco......weak....acid leaking battery with an Optima battery, but can't seem to locate an appropriate one that would fit.

As many know our V batteries are short and side terminal style only. This limits our resources for optional battery choices.

I would consider even another non-Delco battery, but I am at a loss there as well.:bighead:

Any ideas??:alchi:

CTS-BV

heavymetals
02-19-07, 10:11 PM
From the CTS forum:

The battery is a 690 cca ACDelco in a fairly new group size: 101. Not many places carry a group 101 battery, and those I found were pretty pricey. Now, it turns out that a group 101 is almost exactly the same width and length as a group 78 battery, and about a half-inch shorter. In the cts, incidentally, it sits on a battery tray that's at least that thick.

Solution: Wal-Mart MAXX group 78N. 900 cca. Warranted free replacement for 3 years, prorated replacement for years 4-9. Top of the group 78 ratings at Consumer Reports, and a best buy. Paid all of $68 + tax.

It's a tighter fit than the original, but not so tight as to require bending, cutting or hammering. I though I might have to 'adjust' the thickness of the battery tray, but doing so was not required.

CTS-BV
02-19-07, 10:38 PM
Now we're getting somewhere!

Awesome, thanks!:thumbsup:

Please, if there are any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I have had great luck with Optima Red Top batteries, plus they won't leak...unless punctured, and even then....

I just wish I could make one of those fit.

CTS-BV

valdeztke
02-19-07, 10:42 PM
Why not buy the LPE battery relocation kit? You can then put whatever battery you want in.

CTS-BV
02-19-07, 10:53 PM
Why not buy the LPE battery relocation kit? You can then put whatever battery you want in.

I thought about that (relocating the battery to the trunk) that way I'd have a huge list of batteries to choose from. I am still under warranty and my local Svc Writer said I would definitely get a lot of grief from the dealership on "related" issues if I relocated that battery.:bigroll: I can see their point to a certain extent though.

It's a good idea though and if my warranty didn't last me another 1.5 years, I'd probably just do that.

Thanks for the input!:thumbsup:

CTS-BV

valdeztke
02-20-07, 09:52 AM
I could just see the dealership trying to explain to you that the added weight of the battery in the trunk caused the rear end to go out :thepan:

Chef
02-20-07, 10:02 AM
I could just see the dealership trying to explain to you that the added weight of the battery in the trunk caused the rear end to go out :thepan:

Yeah That!:alchi:

svassh
02-20-07, 10:40 AM

Bah, most of these deaerships know so little about these cars they wouldn't even notice.

nikon
02-20-07, 11:08 AM
A red top will fit...I forget who, but someone here has one in. The only downside is that his hood is pushed up 1/8-1/4in from the positive top post...one guy in the cts forum was able to hack the post down a little bit so it did'nt push into the hood...but what you have to be careful of is if you hack on it too much you will get into the core and well, you can then throw that battery away...the walmart battery sounds good though..I might try that when this one dies on me again.

CTS-BV
02-20-07, 11:24 AM
A red top will fit...I forget who, but someone here has one in. The only downside is that his hood is pushed up 1/8-1/4in from the positive top post...one guy in the cts forum was able to hack the post down a little bit so it did'nt push into the hood...but what you have to be careful of is if you hack on it too much you will get into the core and well, you can then throw that battery away...the walmart battery sounds good though..I might try that when this one dies on me again.

I wondered about trimming the top posts. I wondered if it was sort of like trimming a dog's nails where if you cut too far into the quick, you would let out some blood...or in this case, goo.

The shortest Optima I measured was about 7.25" tall and our "101" battery, I believe is 6 5/8" tall. So that would require some trimming for sure. I think the rest of the dimensions might make it worthy though. I'll contact Optima and see if there's an opportunity for just a side terminal version that they could create. I would imagine we're not the only ones with this issue.

CTS-BV

50 4Ever
02-20-07, 12:34 PM
I'll contact Optima and see if there's an opportunity for just a side terminal version that they could create. I would imagine we're not the only ones with this issue.

CTS-BV

I would be interested in the answer, I'm running a Red Top in the Corvette and would to do the same with the CTS-V.

If there is anyone out there with a big stereo, a Yellow Top might be better. If you haven't contacted Optima yet ask them about a Yellow Top also.

:thumbsup:

Ak Jim
02-20-07, 02:27 PM
The Optima battery is built like a top post battery. The "juice" comes up thru the center of the top post. The side post is an add on. The top post is like two concentric rings. The inner part is the part that carries the electricty and the outer part (the part you see and actually hook the top post battery cable to) is part of the side post part of the battery. If you cut the post off level with the top of the battery you can clearly see the two seperate parts. The inner most part is hot and with the top cut off the side post is no longer connected. The question is, how far up the two parts are joined. If you want to know how I know this I cut the post off level and trashed the battery!! I thought about (for like 12.5 seconds) trying to solder them together but decided that was not a good choice. If you had a bad optima you could try cutting a post off at a 45 degree angle and then mesure how far up the inner and outer parts joined.

heavymetals
02-20-07, 02:48 PM
Optima batteries are great, but I don't want one that badly.

CTS-BV
02-20-07, 07:34 PM
The Optima battery is built like a top post battery. The "juice" comes up thru the center of the top post. The side post is an add on. The top post is like two concentric rings. The inner part is the part that carries the electricty and the outer part (the part you see and actually hook the top post battery cable to) is part of the side post part of the battery. If you cut the post off level with the top of the battery you can clearly see the two seperate parts. The inner most part is hot and with the top cut off the side post is no longer connected. The question is, how far up the two parts are joined. If you want to know how I know this I cut the post off level and trashed the battery!! I thought about (for like 12.5 seconds) trying to solder them together but decided that was not a good choice. If you had a bad optima you could try cutting a post off at a 45 degree angle and then mesure how far up the inner and outer parts joined.

I have to apologize. I started laughing out loud until I realized you were serious about ruining the battery. That must have sucked!:eek:

So maybe "cutting to fit" is not in our best interests.:thepan:

I haven't queried Optima Yet -- too busy so far this week. But I may have time tomorrow.

If I remember correctly, you really don't want the yellow top if you're deep cycling the battery as in a regular driving use, right? That's why the red top works better for street machines and the yellow is better, just for stereos....I thought. I may be :alchi:

CTS-BV

ewill3rd
02-20-07, 08:00 PM
I would keep trying to find a 101 battery if you can.
A 78 might fit safely.

The real advice I wanted to throw into this post was to stay away from anything that has a top post on it.
If the top post is pressing up into the hood, a few miles, the plastic and fiberglass wear down and "poof" you got yourself a car-b-que.
That is a source of easy ignition right there and once that fire gets to the magnesium bracket inside the firewall... grab some marshmallows because that is all you can do.

I know the 101 is an odd size. Nobody has found another manufacturer that makes a group 101 battery?

lunarx
02-21-07, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure why you guys would want an Optima Batterey.
Every Optima batterey I ever used (Red & Yellow) died early and hard (< 1year).

AC Delco batterys are among the best of the lead acid type.
I have always got great service life out of AC Delco batterys.
Perhaps the 101 Group size has some performance limitations.

Odyssey Batterys are the absolute best.
I have a 7 year old PC1200 still going strong.

This one might fit the V, but will require a creative way to hold it down.
http://batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc925L-battery.html

The Top Posts also accept Side Post Cables.
http://batterymart.com/p-odyssey-sae-terminals.html

There is also a Metal Jacket version of the batterey which offers more heat shielding.
http://batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc925lmj-battery.html

ewill3rd
02-21-07, 05:52 AM
Personally I would also recommend a Delco replacement, but, I understand that some people don't like AC Delco batteries.
I know Interstate makes good ones but can't think of many other brands I would recommend.

RunningOnEMT
02-21-07, 07:07 AM
i'm gonna grab one of the NiCD batts out of the storage room at work and see if it will start my car... the specs are actually almost identical to the stocker, cca and everything

valdeztke
02-21-07, 07:17 AM
Did I miss something here? My car batter works fine - are those prone to failure as well?

Of did you guys run out of mod ideas?

ewill3rd
02-21-07, 08:05 AM
I am not so sure I'd go tossing a NiCad battery in there, I am not so sure about the charging rate that your Alternator might want to put into it.

RunningOnEMT
02-21-07, 08:09 AM
oh i know it'll die there's no where near enough voltage or current from that alt to charge this thing

its a storage battery from a train

pulls charging off of a 36.2 VDC system

SBONES
02-21-07, 10:11 AM
i have a yellow top...went back and forth with the red. the yellow is better if you are running a stereo. i drilled a 1 1/4 hole in the hood for it to fit..then put a rubber grommit in.. looks fine. ill take a pic for you guys to see. if you like trick..its trick. And yes its brand new...just making sure its charged.

RamAir02
02-21-07, 01:52 PM
i have a yellow top...went back and forth with the red. the yellow is better if you are running a stereo. i drilled a 1 1/4 hole in the hood for it to fit..then put a rubber grommit in.. looks fine. ill take a pic for you guys to see. if you like trick..its trick. And yes its brand new...just making sure its charged.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Pretty creative and looks damn good!

nikon
02-21-07, 04:12 PM
that does look good..I didn't know it pushed into that part..I thought it pushed in where the double skin was thin...cool, well at least we know it can be done...good job sbones.

heavymetals
06-30-07, 04:03 PM
Here is the old thread on replacement batteries.

z06bigbird
06-30-07, 07:32 PM
Now we're getting somewhere!

Awesome, thanks!:thumbsup:

Please, if there are any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I have had great luck with Optima Red Top batteries, plus they won't leak...unless punctured, and even then....

I just wish I could make one of those fit.

CTS-BV

Corvette forum refers to tons of leaking Optimas.

z06bigbird
06-30-07, 07:37 PM

One member modified his hood. It looks professional. I still cringe when I thing about drilling/grinding the good, but then I lack the fine motor coordination.

I still worry about bending the hood by using a batt other than #101 or whatever it is. I guess I will keep my GM receipt. Unfortunately, I need to look for it.

lunarx
06-30-07, 08:03 PM
This is what I am going to make work.
http://batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc1200mjt-battery.html
http://batterymart.com/images/products/full/ODY-PC1200MJT.jpg

Laying on it's side will locate the terminals forward-top like the stock battery.
(Those posts are tapped in the middle to accept side terminals)
There will be no hood clearance issues.
I just need to get a base fabbed up for it to be straped to and then retained with the stock clamp.

These batterys rock and they are used heavily by the military in Hummers and other combat vehicles.
Best battery you can buy period.
The charging rate is insanely fast and they can handle deep cycling.

When this PC1200 goes in my V, it will be the 3rd car it's been moved to.
I have had this batt since '00 and it's still rocking.
Typical lifespan on these is 8-10 years.
I can easily see getting 3 more years on mine as it's never even flinched.

CTS-BV
09-06-07, 07:06 PM
Corvette forum refers to tons of leaking Optimas.

As with many forums, including Corvette forums, retards run their mouths everywhere. :eek:

The only way to make a gel type battery like an Optima leak is by misuse, thus causing a breach to the outer skin. I don't buy that someone's leaked in general, correct, use.

CTS-BV

CTS-BV
09-06-07, 07:09 PM
This is what I am going to make work.
http://batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc1200mjt-battery.html
http://batterymart.com/images/products/full/ODY-PC1200MJT.jpg

Laying on it's side will locate the terminals forward-top like the stock battery.
(Those posts are tapped in the middle to accept side terminals)
There will be no hood clearance issues.
I just need to get a base fabbed up for it to be straped to and then retained with the stock clamp.

These batterys rock and they are used heavily by the military in Hummers and other combat vehicles.
Best battery you can buy period.
The charging rate is insanely fast and they can handle deep cycling.

When this PC1200 goes in my V, it will be the 3rd car it's been moved to.
I have had this batt since '00 and it's still rocking.
Typical lifespan on these is 8-10 years.
I can easily see getting 3 more years on mine as it's never even flinched.

Okay, so what's your option to mounting this Odyssey Battery? Did you get a bracket fabbed for it?

CTS-BV

lunarx
09-06-07, 07:24 PM
Okay, so what's your option to mounting this Odyssey Battery? Did you get a bracket fabbed for it?

CTS-BV
Not yet, but I am planning to do it soon.
I need to take measurements on the stock batterey to make a similar base that retains with the stock clamp.
The Odyssesy will then attach to that base.

I recently saw a CTS/Corvette etc vendors website who sold this very Optima Batterey.
I was going to contact them to see if they had a mounting solution worked out before I did my own stuff.
I just can't find their website again.

Either way, this will happen soon as I need that batterey in my V.
My plans were set back temporarily, due to some other car issues.

Chef
09-06-07, 09:12 PM
I use a red top optima...fits fine for me.

1badjimmy
09-06-07, 09:15 PM
I was gonna say that I seen a red top in your car Chef, but figured with the Specter Werkes hood you had more clearance.

lunarx
09-07-07, 01:47 AM
Not yet, but I am planning to do it soon.
I need to take measurements on the stock batterey to make a similar base that retains with the stock clamp.
The Odyssesy will then attach to that base.

I recently saw a CTS/Corvette etc vendors website who sold this very Optima Batterey.
I was going to contact them to see if they had a mounting solution worked out before I did my own stuff.
I just can't find their website again.

Either way, this will happen soon as I need that batterey in my V.
My plans were set back temporarily, due to some other car issues.
I can't believe I said Optima in my post.
Naturally, I ment Odyssey as it's a vastly surperior product.

I never had either of 3 optimas last more than 2 years, while my one and only odyssey is going on 7 years and it's 3rd car.

As soon as I work out a mounting solution for the V, I'll let you guys know.

v-sam
09-14-07, 02:32 AM
Yellow Top Optima

z06bigbird
09-15-07, 03:05 PM
At the beginning of the year, I called NTB, Sears, Walmart, NAPA, Excide, Interstate, and several other sources for batteries. No one but AC Delco was making a 101 series. Not sure if things have changed.

RockinV
03-13-08, 07:37 PM
A red top will fit...I forget who, but someone here has one in. The only downside is that his hood is pushed up 1/8-1/4in from the positive top post...one guy in the cts forum was able to hack the post down a little bit so it did'nt push into the hood....

i have a yellow top...went back and forth with the red. the yellow is better if you are running a stereo. i drilled a 1 1/4 hole in the hood for it to fit..then put a rubber grommit in.. looks fine. ill take a pic for you guys to see. .

Hey SBONES>>> Thanks Bro, for the tip,... I did just as you mentioned and it worked like a champ! Don't know if I would have considered it if I hadn't seen your pic though... Thanks :thumbsup:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/RockinV/RettopBatt.jpg

CTS-BV
04-21-08, 04:50 PM
Did I miss something here? My car batter works fine - are those prone to failure as well?

Of did you guys run out of mod ideas?

Leave your lights on for 10 minutes ad try to start it.:thumbsup:

v10boost
04-21-08, 06:37 PM
anyone tired optima dry cell? I'm going to my stereo shop on 23rd to see if optima or other dry cell might fit. I'll post some results.

TRUtoGIRLS
10-06-08, 03:59 PM
Optima has come out with a new side mount only battery red to model 78. If that helps

Ofiley has them but Advanced autoparts is supposed to be getting them.

Specs

6.75 tall
10 inches long
6 and 7/8ths wide

Netsloth
10-07-08, 02:42 PM
I just replaced my factory battery with a Bosch Group 78 battery from Autozone. $98, 960CCA. Fit perfectly.

stevenshock
11-03-08, 11:15 AM
Wanted to add to this post since it was so helpful.

Cliché story, I am inheriting a 05 V-series from my sick mother. She bought the car in Dec. 04, drove it for a bit before falling ill. I drove the car occasionally when in town but eventually the car ended up sitting in the garage, being started here and there. Long story short I was in town (Dallas) to deal with some family business, the car being one of them. It has been sitting, untouched, for two years.

this is the part of the post that pertains to the thread. On the way from the airport, stopped at Walmart to get the suggested Maxx 78N replacement battery. I was stumped, they didn't have a 78N. However they did have a 78S. I asked the guy behind the counter if they had an "N" version and he didn't know what I was talking about. A very helpful woman came out of the back room and gave me a great explanation. "N" and "S" are North and South designations for the same battery. I am at a Walmart in Texas so they carry the S version. Obviously, if I was in Minnesota I would get the N. SHe thought the N version might have a few more cold cranking amps. Hope this helps others stuck with the same model number issue.

Back to the non-threat portion of the story. Swapped the battery, which fit perfectly with just a little wiggling to get it under the wiper facia, turned the key and she started immediately like it had ran the day before. Babied it over to the local dealer and had it serviced. Parked it back in the garage with 9270 miles on the odometer. I am going back next week to bring it to California.

A very excited new V owner,
Steven

veloce
12-15-08, 10:47 PM
I just installed a OPTIMA RED TOP GROUP 78.It fit perfectly once I gave it a little push rearward.The original clamp even worked. So if you like OPTIMAS as I do ,you have a side terminal only solution.Jeff :thumbsup:

heavymetals
12-15-08, 11:05 PM
Glad you got it to fit.

Be careful of the positive terminal making contact.......

Naf
12-16-08, 07:50 AM
Why not go with a braille...I used the original battery holder modified slightly to wedge it down.

Best thing and it is 30lb lighter..WIN WIN

CIWS
12-16-08, 07:54 AM
A very excited new V owner,
Steven

Thanks for the post, sorry to hear of the circumstances in which you got the car.

ichpen
12-16-08, 10:04 AM
Why not go with a braille...I used the original battery holder modified slightly to wedge it down.

Best thing and it is 30lb lighter..WIN WIN

I have the braille one, easy install and gets all the local dealer mechanics excited when they pop the hood as they refuse to believe it's an actual car battery.

Naf
12-16-08, 11:10 AM
I know, mine is tiny...Now next task is to move it to the trunk, and lighten the wheel well as much as possible...

blaausl10
12-16-08, 11:17 AM
I know, mine is tiny...Now next task is to move it to the trunk, and lighten the wheel well as much as possible...

What is the model number of the Braille battery?

Naf
12-16-08, 11:23 AM
I proudly got the B2015. With GM terminal jacks...

TWO to be exact, and if anyone at the post office ask they are storage devices...(creative enough but not falsifyin)

veloce
12-16-08, 05:23 PM
If I really cared about 30lbs I would make the effort to lose 30 lbs of my own ground hugging weight. Jeff :rolleyes:

hevnbnd
12-16-08, 08:43 PM
I just recently put a brand new Optima 78 with no top posts in my 04 and it fit perfect. I have pics if anyone needs them. I got the battery at O'Rileys for $150. It is a red top.

CIWS
12-21-08, 07:08 PM
I just recently put a brand new Optima 78 with no top posts in my 04 and it fit perfect. I have pics if anyone needs them. I got the battery at O'Rileys for $150. It is a red top.

:yeah: It fit in my STS-V just fine even allowing the stock battery cover back on. Glad they released this model for us.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1714965-post6.html

NormV
12-21-08, 07:47 PM
Had my battery die and had a Summit Racing relocation kit never used from a previous project. Nice taking the weight off the front end with it in the trunk I could use any style, top or side terminals. Just have to ground to the engine and chasis so the under hood negative cable stays. I tried it without and every combination and it would not start.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/Norm1988GT/V-lighting002.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/Norm1988GT/V-lighting001.jpg

Norm

stkshkr
12-22-08, 02:05 AM
I'm about to do this. Did you run a negative wire from the battery to the engine compartment along with the positive, or did you just ground the battery negative to the chassis and just ground the negative in the engine bay?

NormV
12-22-08, 07:33 AM
I'm about to do this. Did you run a negative wire from the battery to the engine compartment along with the positive, or did you just ground the battery negative to the chassis and just ground the negative in the engine bay?

The kit came with a positive cable to run the length of the car. I kept the front negative cable in place and ran a short ground from the battery to the chasis in the rear. Took more time figuring out where I want to drill holes for the battery mount and where to run the positive cable through the leading side of the wheel well where it would not interfer with the suspension/drive train.

I sure it a couple of hundreds out of the hole! :)

Norm

Naf
12-22-08, 08:01 AM
Hmmm, i am thinkin of shavin the wheel well about 6 inches since i dont have a spare plus the weight lose is always welcomed, and stickin my light batt in there with a few other nice tools, but i never could get use to all that distance the voltage has to go in order to power the electronics...

BTW why is it my Tahoe has an automatic battery saver and our Vs dont? SERIOUSLY my batt died again due to a door bein partially open...

stkshkr
12-22-08, 12:59 PM
Norm
Did you ground the front negative cable or just leave it hanging?

NormV
12-22-08, 02:43 PM
It's attached to the chasis and block. That is where it stays as it has a third wire attached that goes to the fuse box.

Norm

Norm
Did you ground the front negative cable or just leave it hanging?

fstshrk
12-22-08, 05:08 PM
I was thinking about this more today. Although the stock battery location is not ideal, the fact that it is behind the front axle keeps the weight inside the wheel box which is OK for handling.

When I need a battery, I may give that Optima Side Mount 78 (9078-109) a try.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-22-08, 07:06 PM
BTW why is it my Tahoe has an automatic battery saver and our Vs dont? SERIOUSLY my batt died again due to a door bein partially open...

It doesn't? I was taking a nap in my car once on lunch break with a sunshade up. So the headlights and radio were on. Eventually, something popped up on the nav about battery saving or something and those things turned off automatically. Started right up.

ronr
02-06-09, 09:53 AM
I proudly got the B2015. With GM terminal jacks...

TWO to be exact, and if anyone at the post office ask they are storage devices...(creative enough but not falsifyin)

When you say that you got two, do you mean you installed both for additional capacity or is one a spare?

It's time for me to get a new battery and I'm debating between a Braille, Odessey or type 78 red top Optima.

heavymetals
02-06-09, 02:52 PM
I just replaced the OPTIMA in Mr. Vette with an ODESSY (which weighs over 40 lbs!).

I like the 12 year life expectancy though.

Pas-SRX
09-15-09, 06:28 PM
The WalMart Group 78 (top of the line MAXX) fits perfectly. And it has its posts on the front side of the battery. Installation only took a few minutes. And it has a 3 year exchange for any battery that fails and several additional years after that on a pro-rata basis. It was a no-brainer.

ewill3rd
09-16-09, 07:09 AM
Not to sound critical but relocating the battery to the trunk has issues of its own.

1. As you move the battery further from the engine you need to use larger cables. The natural resistance of the cable will cause voltage drop and if the same size cable is used then more power will be lost along the length which means for the same current to reach the starter you'd need to increase the cable size from end to end.

2. Batteries vent gases while charging. If the battery is not installed in such a way as to properly vent to the atmosphere while charging it will fill your trunk with gases that are none to good for the occupants or the car itself.

3. Make sure you use proper circuit protection! If you run a cable 12 feet along the underside of the car and through drilled holes be sure there is a fuse to blow if the positive cable grounds out somewhere.
GM installs circuit protection for remotely mounted fuse blocks in the event of a short, particularly if you are in an accident. That is 12 more feet of wire that can ground out and ignite something if the car is damaged or the cable is not routed properly.

As for weight distribution, well for a daily driver street car how critical is moving 20 pounds? (or whatever it is)
If you were racing at Sebring or something I'd say more power to ya'.

A 78 battery from anyone will "fit" but it is tight on the cowl.

Jbawden
09-16-09, 09:38 AM
Also went the Walmart route. For $80 and a 3 year full replacement warranty, it's really the best value out there. I put the original "jacket" on the battery and it looks completely stock. It's snug on the cowl, but isn't an issue.

Pegasus04
12-31-09, 02:06 PM
From the CTS forum:

The battery is a 690 cca ACDelco in a fairly new group size: 101. Not many places carry a group 101 battery, and those I found were pretty pricey. Now, it turns out that a group 101 is almost exactly the same width and length as a group 78 battery, and about a half-inch shorter. In the cts, incidentally, it sits on a battery tray that's at least that thick.

Solution: Wal-Mart MAXX group 78N. 900 cca. Warranted free replacement for 3 years, prorated replacement for years 4-9. Top of the group 78 ratings at Consumer Reports, and a best buy. Paid all of $68 + tax.

It's a tighter fit than the original, but not so tight as to require bending, cutting or hammering. I though I might have to 'adjust' the thickness of the battery tray, but doing so was not required.

Thanks for the great advice. The price went up to $78 but it is well worth it. The battery even has a built-in strap that made it easier to install than the old Delco was to take out. My '04 had four Delco batteries replaced under warranty and I had to drive the V or charge the battery once a week. This battery fires it off without any problem.

Thanks again for the great advice and Happy New Year!

Bill

Ak Jim
01-01-10, 02:15 AM
"BTW why is it my Tahoe has an automatic battery saver and our Vs dont? SERIOUSLY my batt died again due to a door bein partially open..."

On my 05 V the interior lights turn off after a while even if the doors are left open. Same thing with the trunk.

soflarick
01-02-10, 09:22 AM
Haven't tested it, but the owners manual stated there was a battery saving feature built into the vehicle.

For one of the previous posts concerning battery relocation to the trunk, unless you're drag racing or corner weighting the car, placing the battery in the trunk serves only to increase your headaches and weight of the vehicle.

ELES6CTS
05-21-10, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the info on the Walmart battery. I think mine is starting to go and I'm probably going to go buy one of these today.

Shawn Barlow

ichpen
05-21-10, 10:56 AM
Not to sound critical but relocating the battery to the trunk has issues of its own.

1. As you move the battery further from the engine you need to use larger cables. The natural resistance of the cable will cause voltage drop and if the same size cable is used then more power will be lost along the length which means for the same current to reach the starter you'd need to increase the cable size from end to end.

2. Batteries vent gases while charging. If the battery is not installed in such a way as to properly vent to the atmosphere while charging it will fill your trunk with gases that are none to good for the occupants or the car itself.

3. Make sure you use proper circuit protection! If you run a cable 12 feet along the underside of the car and through drilled holes be sure there is a fuse to blow if the positive cable grounds out somewhere.
GM installs circuit protection for remotely mounted fuse blocks in the event of a short, particularly if you are in an accident. That is 12 more feet of wire that can ground out and ignite something if the car is damaged or the cable is not routed properly.

As for weight distribution, well for a daily driver street car how critical is moving 20 pounds? (or whatever it is)
If you were racing at Sebring or something I'd say more power to ya'.

A 78 battery from anyone will "fit" but it is tight on the cowl.

Good points there. I plan on relocating to the trunk soon. Will see if I can squeeze 0/1 gauge positive cable through the firewall and the cabin. Otherwise will have to go with 2 gauge. Running the cable on the outside is not an option and is just begging for trouble.

100Amp circuit breaker also and a negative kill switch in case the track people get antsy.

The battery is a sealed optima so no venting needed but I may still add a vent tube just in case.

It's not so much relocation as it is also freeing up valuable real estate up front.

soflarick
05-23-10, 10:34 PM
Starting a V8 will draw more than 100 amps. I've relocated batteries in the past on drag cars, and 2 gauge was not enough to handle the current needed to crank a V8.

ewill3rd
05-24-10, 06:57 AM
Yeah, definitely need something with more juice than a 100.
I haven't measured the pull on many starters lately but I'd go closer to 200A.
They make some nice "mega fuse" things that work well.
I have one on my Trailblazer for the body electrics powered by the rear seat fuse block.

Eric Pittman
06-27-10, 12:36 AM
Just wanted to follow up on this thread in case it helps someone else. It saved me close to $100 today.

I installed the group 78 MAXX battery from Walmart today. No issues or modifications required. I wasn't able to slip the factory cover back over the battery. I doubt that has any negative impact. $83 out the door.

Stepside
06-27-10, 09:28 AM
Just wanted to follow up on this thread in case it helps someone else. It saved me close to $100 today.

I installed the group 78 MAXX battery from Walmart today. No issues or modifications required. I wasn't able to slip the factory cover back over the battery. I doubt that has any negative impact. $83 out the door.

:yawn:I have the 78-N also, and I was able to get my cover back on.
The strap on the battery is the restriction that prevents getting the cover back over the battery. The battery strap is easily removed, thus eliminating the restriction and can be reinstalled. So, try again. :coffee:

NormV
07-01-10, 08:47 AM
When you say that you got two, do you mean you installed both for additional capacity or is one a spare?

It's time for me to get a new battery and I'm debating between a Braille, Odessey or type 78 red top Optima.

I'm running a 15 lbs Braile in my Saturn Sky with good luck. Guys have run the same battery on a daily driver Sky in Rhode Island with no problems. Not sure if the V would kill a 21 lbs Braile in short time or not but it would be half the weight of the stock battery.

Personally I relocated my battery in the V to the trunk with Summit Racing battery relocation kit and it sits for 3-4 months at a time between start ups. I have also disconnected Onstar so no battery drain when stored.

Norm

Paisan
09-19-10, 10:05 PM
Found Odyssey now offers a battery for our car... PC1200LMJT

-mike

heavymetals
09-20-10, 01:32 AM
Beat ya to it.

soflarick
09-20-10, 09:31 AM
What I think I'm seeing is a plate that the battery bracket is bolted to, and the OEM battery hold down securing the plate on the OEM tray, correct? How much lighter is that PC925 compared to the stocker? I've considered doing it, but that aluminum hold down isn't cheap. That is a very nice install, btw.

I had to remove the stock battery the other day. That thing is really tucked in there. When the stock battery takes a hike, I'm going with a PC925.

heavymetals
09-20-10, 12:48 PM
Tray is a drilled and tapped piece of 1/4" aluminum plate.

It matches the footprint so I can use the OEM retainer & bolt.

Duck Soup.

No it wasn't cheap (is anything for the V?).

Bitchin battery though.

Paisan
09-20-10, 09:32 PM
I ended up getting the Walmart Maxx battery for $75, can't beat that price with a 3yr replacement warranty.

-mike

CTSV_Rob
09-20-10, 10:00 PM

Duck Soup.

Bitchin battery though.
Do have the drawing for that thing Heavy?

heavymetals
09-20-10, 11:57 PM
Do have the drawing for that thing Heavy?

I just took the measurement of the footprint (which I think was 7" x 11") for the plate and then centered the battery then drilled and tapped mounting holes matching the location on the hold down.

heavymetals
09-21-10, 12:01 AM
What I think I'm seeing is a plate that the battery bracket is bolted to, and the OEM battery hold down securing the plate on the OEM tray, correct? How much lighter is that PC925 compared to the stocker? I've considered doing it, but that aluminum hold down isn't cheap. That is a very nice install, btw.

I had to remove the stock battery the other day. That thing is really tucked in there. When the stock battery takes a hike, I'm going with a PC925.

Thanks!

That is a PC1200MJT

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1200mjt.htm

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/accessories/hd925_1200sm.htm

CTSV_Rob
09-28-10, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info Heavy.

whisler151
09-28-10, 10:20 PM
Just found out the battery is under warranty. That saved me a lot of reading. lol

lunarx
09-29-10, 01:41 AM

Duck Soup.

Bitchin battery though.

Heavy gets it done!
Super Nice!

I ended up going trunk mount and using a different Odyssey Battery.
I would have done the Heavy install, in a heartbeat, if I still had a front battery tray to use.

heavymetals
09-29-10, 12:14 PM
Thanks!

Shows what one can do when they are retired (had to lord that one over on ya!) and has gobs of time to MOD.

You sure your car has enough oil?

Certainly has enough HP!

(I know, there is never enough HP!)

Bushwacker
10-18-12, 11:18 AM
Guys, guys. Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, and Oreillys has a battery for our V.

Sign; Bushwacker

Brackets
10-18-12, 01:15 PM
I haven't read this whole thread but i've had very good luck with the Kirkland brand from Costco. I had one in my previous Caddy and my big block Chevy 1 ton for quite a few years. They are well priced with one of the best replacement warranties that I've seen. I haven't posted any price etc. because I'm in Canada and it won't be relevant to most of you guys but when my V needed a new battery I went with Costco again. Also I do always shop around so I've done the legwork. Just thought I'd throw this out a another option, Brad.

jeph054
10-20-12, 09:39 AM
Hey Fellas.
I own an Interstate Batteries Distributorship and have been in the battery business for over 15 years. Obviously I am partial to the Interstate brand but theres are other options. I know quite a bit about the competition as well (specs, warranty info, etc.) I am happy to answer anyone's specific or general question about fitment, care, charging, maintaintence etc.
Just let me know how I can help

carlson_mn
10-20-12, 12:24 PM
Guys, guys. Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, and Oreillys has a battery for our V.

Sign; Bushwacker

Epic 2 year bump!

lunarx
10-20-12, 02:00 PM
Epic 2 year bump!

Better than a new thread right?
Points to him for using search.

V forum threads never die, they just sleep until needed again.

JDB
02-02-13, 05:01 PM
I thought I'd add my battery option to this thread... Today, I purchased a Group 75 battery from Advance Auto Parts and it fits fine, great actually. I pulled hard on it in every direction and it's not going anywhere. It's only shorter length, so it still matches up with the battery hold down brace as OEM size. It only comes up short on the outside near the fender.

Online, I ordered during their 20% off (spend $100, get $50 for next purchase) and it was $83.15 [edit: $82.25 since they refunded $0.90 tax on the core charge] out the door after giving them the core, after being $111.99 + tax. I had ordered the AutoCraft Silver 650 CCA with part number 75-2 since my stock battery says it's 650 CCA, but I didn't notice it until I got home that they gave me the Gold 700 CCA with part number 75-3 (+$15, +1yr of warranty). I double-checked my online order and receipt, and it's for the cheaper Silver one... oh well... their problem. Hopefully it doesn't cause any warranty issues later on, but I've had good luck with AutoCraft batteries...probably all made my Johnson Controls now matter which generic one you buy. Anyway... I tossed it onto the bathroom digital scale = 31.6 lbs. Once installed, I cut the handle off and tossed it in the trash along with the factory battery cover that is falling part and looking terrible. No sticker on the front of the battery, so it looks very clean in the engine bay. No more things re-setting themselves, like the G meter, and other settings... I should've known somethin was up... before I got the bad start late Wed night. Thusday morning, no start for work. So, I took apart the sump pump's battery backup system for its battery and jumped the V. Ran fine. I did that Thurs/Fri and bought the battery today when AAP changed their online offer from 15% to 20% today.

I was thinking about going with a 21 lb Braille, but the costs just can't justify 10 lbs... especially when I could afford to lose 10 lbs.

RyRidesMotoX
02-03-13, 02:34 AM
Damn that is one hell of a deal.

DrSpeed
02-03-13, 02:45 AM
Optima Red Top Group 78

No Modifications

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/304254_401245776631113_30789251_n.jpg

kciaccio
02-03-13, 09:52 AM
The best deal is the Walmart battery for $80 period. The car comes with a black cover around the battery. Starts the car just fine and with the factory cover you can't even see the battery.

JDB
02-03-13, 12:39 PM
The best deal is the Walmart battery for $80 period. The car comes with a black cover around the battery. Starts the car just fine and with the factory cover you can't even see the battery.

"Period"? Congrats, you saved $3.15 more than I did yesterday. Actually, I put $50 in my pocket should I choose to spend another $100 at AAP. So, one could argue that battery cost $33.15 (period)

And, where/when was it $80? Online says $99. Plus, since its a Group 78, then it's in the 36-37 lb range whereas Group 75 is 31-32 lbs.

Oh, and fuk WallyWorld... I'd rather spend more than have to look at the fat fuktards in spandex that shop there.

253ctsv
02-03-13, 06:57 PM
"Period"? Congrats, you saved $3.15 more than I did yesterday. Actually, I put $50 in my pocket should I choose to spend another $100 at AAP. So, one could argue that battery cost $33.15 (period)

And, where/when was it $80? Online says $99. Plus, since its a Group 78, then it's in the 36-37 lb range whereas Group 75 is 31-32 lbs.

Oh, and fuk WallyWorld... I'd rather spend more than have to look at the fat fuktards in spandex that shop there.

Tell us how you really feel lol

kciaccio
02-04-13, 07:10 PM
Oops I lied. I spent $85.26 (04/30/12 POS PURCHASE - Wal Mart Super PEARLAND TX 8737 00000212023160409 $85.93)back in April. I am not as scared of the scary Walmart customers as you but since you are, their automotive section has it's own entrance for you. I didn't have to jump thru any hoops for the price. Walked in grabbed the battery and out in less than 5 minutes and survived. I can do this any day of the week and don't have to bring coupons or wait for a 20% off day.

etcts-v
02-04-13, 08:13 PM
I'm with Dr Speed $130 for an Optima Red Top been running strong for 3 years with a grip of Audio Gear in the trunk and many dozen full drains.

JDB
02-04-13, 08:36 PM
Oops I lied. I spent $85.26 (04/30/12 POS PURCHASE - Wal Mart Super PEARLAND TX 8737 00000212023160409 $85.93)back in April. I am not as scared of the scary Walmart customers as you but since you are, their automotive section has it's own entrance for you. I didn't have to jump thru any hoops for the price. Walked in grabbed the battery and out in less than 5 minutes and survived. I can do this any day of the week and don't have to bring coupons or wait for a 20% off day.

Hmmm...interesting... WalMart online makes you enter a zip code. Maybe it's less in your neck of the woods. True, it is nice having bottom line price v sales, AAP usually has 15% off online.

Next time I want to limit the amount of bullets I want to buy, I'll stop by Wally World to see if it's less.

SevillianSTS
02-05-13, 11:45 AM
I got a good deal on my optima from AAP online with the 20% off sale.

I've found though... if you're in the Mid-west.. Menards has Exide group 78 batteries for $77 if I recall correctly

Chris Cornett
03-13-13, 09:50 PM
Just put in a duracell group 78 from Sams Club. Fits good has a great warranty is made in the USA and was only $85. As for Optimas I run them in my drag car and they are nowhere near the quality they used to be.

izcain
03-14-13, 12:24 AM
Majority of these batteries come from the same manufacturer just with different labels. Most of them are Johnson batteries if I remember correctly.

I run an optima in my drag car (rear mounted only for the gel cell) but it is not the best battery by far.
group 78 here if I want to lose weight I will look somewhere besides capacity of the battery!

Tri-SS
03-19-13, 09:55 PM
That looks exactly like my engine bay! Just replaced my battery with the Optima 78 as well, fits perfectly. On a side note, what's that white button on the drivers side fender? I have one too but its not connected to anything.

fej
03-19-13, 11:59 PM
Advanced auto parts often has very solid discount codes for batteries specifically, but they have 30-45% off coupons for regular merchandise with regularity as well. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net as they are listed there often.

Fej

JDB
03-21-13, 09:56 PM
Majority of these batteries come from the same manufacturer just with different labels. Most of them are Johnson batteries if I remember correctly.

I run an optima in my drag car (rear mounted only for the gel cell) but it is not the best battery by far.
group 78 here if I want to lose weight I will look somewhere besides capacity of the battery!

Group 75 is less weight and more CCA than OEM.

sthorn71
11-07-13, 02:49 PM
Thanks for everyone's knowledge on this subject. My original factory battery in my 07 went yesterday and the AutoCraft GoldBattery, Group Size 78, 770 CCA from Advanced Auto fits nicely and saved me around $80.