: Mass Air on 07 ESV

zx6racer
02-19-07, 09:07 PM
This weekend I will be installing a Volant CAI and the SuperChips programer on my 07 ESV.Is upgrading the mass air worth the $349 ???? I have the Corsa sport exhaust on order.

benamaster
02-19-07, 10:39 PM
The mass airflow sensor upgrade would show a near 0 increase in performance. Its just not worth it.

hcvone
02-20-07, 07:38 AM
The stock MAF sensor will give you your best performance as said. I spent thousands of dollars on aftermarket MAF's and even more on many dyno pulls to find that out on my Z06's

07slade
02-20-07, 04:57 PM
wow you scared me, i thought that the title of the thread meant you jumped your ESV...

zx6racer
02-20-07, 07:45 PM
No I did not jump my ESV :cookoo: What other parts are good for HP and MPG ???

hcvone
02-20-07, 07:49 PM
Long tube headers when they offer them should help with performance and gas mileage

cadymon
02-20-07, 09:59 PM
i dont know far as dyno but my ass tells me i got some pony under my belt:thumbsup: i think CAI systems do work if you get everything else that goes along with it. i do feel you HCVONE to a certain point since i have a race car of my own and i do have a CAI in it also and it does make pony on the dyno but i do have alot more stuff besides the CAI.

hcvone
02-21-07, 07:45 AM
Cold air intakes are good for power, the aftermarket MAF's are good are losing power. :)

caddycruiser
02-21-07, 03:11 PM
Cold air intakes are good for power, the aftermarket MAF's are good are losing power. :)

Agreed, and I have to jump in on this too. I frequent a lot of boards and clubs for the GM B and D body cars from the '90s, and the general consensus with EVERYONE is that, although offered, most all aftermarket MAF's and MAF products do nothing but cause trouble or hurt performance.

Not that it's the intention of the makers, but time after time, that's simply just a part that, from experience, is always better off left as OEM and then spend your money elsewhere, such as a CAI, headers, catback, etc.--all the things that DO actually make a difference.

benamaster
02-21-07, 04:24 PM
There was talk on another forum about de screening your MAF to make it read better or something. I haven't tried it though. Its like removing some screen from the factory MAF.

caddycruiser
02-22-07, 09:47 AM
There was talk on another forum about de screening your MAF to make it read better or something. I haven't tried it though. Its like removing some screen from the factory MAF.

That falls into an "urban myth" category of sorts. The screen is there for a purpose, to help smooth the air flow through the sensor and maintain laminar flow. Some people THINK it's a restriction, and on a nano scale, it is, but it's not something worth eliminating just because. All that really does is harm the airflow pattern, and create turbulence.

Trust me, a lot of people have been doing it for years, again on the GM B and D body car clubs and such, just "because" and the only positive change is something they imagine.

Here's a GREAT article, that really talks about getting rid of a MAF sensor, but it also mentions what happens as far as the screen (first few lines or so):

http://www.drinknet.net/~kdrinkwater/buttercup/maf.html

To sum it up, the MAF is never really something you'll get much, if any, increased performance from changing or screwing with, so just leave it be and spend the money on a CAI, headers, exhaust, etc.

hcvone
02-22-07, 10:09 AM
You know the funny thing about the screen is that GM removed it on the C5 Z06's, I asked an engineer at one of the Corvette events at the plant and he told me it was put there to keep debris off the MAF wires, before that I was told it was to smooth out the air coming in over it. Don't know which is correct.

caddycruiser
02-22-07, 02:00 PM
You know the funny thing about the screen is that GM removed it on the C5 Z06's, I asked an engineer at one of the Corvette events at the plant and he told me it was put there to keep debris off the MAF wires, before that I was told it was to smooth out the air coming in over it. Don't know which is correct.

Both, at least partially. Being a semi engineer myself, it's actually moreso to maintain laminar (i.e. smooth) flow through the device for proper metering, and at the same time, it does have the ability to block some debris from going where it shouldn't. That said, not much debris should be flowing through there with proper filtering, but it happens. It's just a side, if small, benefit.

So, it's both, but a lot more so for airflow smoothness, and a little bit of extra help in blocking any little things that might get near.

hcvone
02-22-07, 02:04 PM
I would agree with that, but for sure the screen blocks a lot of air, probably 15%-20% of total air flow.

caddycruiser
02-22-07, 02:38 PM
I would agree with that, but for sure the screen blocks a lot of air, probably 15%-20% of total air flow.

It is a restriction, yes, but it's there for a purpose, and in the end the restriction is not a notable one in the whole scope of things. In other words, it blocks some flow, no doubt, but not as much as you would think, and removing it just throws things off more than being a help.

SO, for most everyone hear, I wouldn't recommend even bothering with the MAF, aside from perhaps giving it an inspection and cleaning after some real use, just as you would an air filter and other bits and pieces.

caddycruiser
02-22-07, 03:08 PM
Here's another GREAT site, specifically even on the MAF screen, and some actual GM info:

http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox/tips/maf/maf-screen.htm

hcvone
02-22-07, 03:12 PM
It is a restriction, yes, but it's there for a purpose, and in the end the restriction is not a notable one in the whole scope of things. In other words, it blocks some flow, no doubt, but not as much as you would think, and removing it just throws things off more than being a help.

SO, for most everyone hear, I wouldn't recommend even bothering with the MAF, aside from perhaps giving it an inspection and cleaning after some real use, just as you would an air filter and other bits and pieces.

GM must have seen a major performance gain to get rid of the screens on the Z06's, and I agree with you 100%, there is no need to take the screen out on an Escalade, there will not be enough gain to notice.

zx6racer
02-24-07, 08:12 PM
Ok I installed my SuperChips programer and my Volant intake. Drove for about an hour did not see any real gains the truck is a lot smoother when shifting and it does not cut out at 110 MPH anymore. The one thing is at wide open its a hell of a lot faster. A little better MPG also.

caddycruiser
02-24-07, 10:49 PM
Ok I installed my SuperChips programer and my Volant intake. Drove for about an hour did not see any real gains the truck is a lot smoother when shifting and it does not cut out at 110 MPH anymore. The one thing is at wide open its a hell of a lot faster. A little better MPG also.

Sounds great. With a change in programming and less restrictive intake, that's all spot on.

zx6racer
02-25-07, 09:35 AM
Well when I install my Corsa exhaust next week I hope things well get better.

caddycruiser
02-25-07, 09:53 AM
Well when I install my Corsa exhaust next week I hope things well get better.

Should, at least a bit, with the freer flowing. Might not be a huge difference, especially with the Intake and programmer already, but definitely something.

zx6racer
02-25-07, 01:48 PM
Well its ok for now. I wont hold my breath on any huge gains from the exhaust. After all the truck weighs 7400lbs. Its not a face car. Im looking for good plugs and wires now for a little better spark.

hcvone
02-25-07, 03:13 PM
You have plenty of spark stock, plugs and wires will not make a difference, unless like my last two Z06's they were not gapped correctly, then it will make a difference. :)

caddycruiser
02-26-07, 08:02 AM
You have plenty of spark stock, plugs and wires will not make a difference, unless like my last two Z06's they were not gapped correctly, then it will make a difference. :)

Agreed, that's another myth of sorts. Unless there's an actual problem with them, you're not going to see any kind of benefit swapping out new OEM plugs and such just "because".

hcvone
02-26-07, 08:18 AM
It's not like the old days with real long wires that were average, these engines use very short wires because each plug has it's own coil, you just do not see the gains, and the new wires last and flow good.

zx6racer
02-26-07, 10:28 AM
I have friends that race cars and trucks. One has a superscarged H2 When he installed nology wires and new bosh plugs he gained 22Hp and 1-2 MPG. Was that because the truck is supercharged ???

hcvone
02-26-07, 12:42 PM
I have had many of my cars on the dyno, and tried a few times using Nology wires and plugs on my Z06's, very expensive, I never saw any gains more than a fraction of a hp. Either your friends plugs and wires were shot, or maybe they did some tuning when these were installed. :) I wanted them to work after spending big bucks on them

zx6racer
03-05-07, 08:09 PM
Ok did my exhaust today. Big change in power. I get the stabilitrack light to come on when I gun it from a dead stop.