: Engine Shake?

folex187
02-19-07, 07:11 PM
I had the first drive in my V today in a stop-and-go environment. One thing I noticed is when the car is stopped you can feel the engine shaking. Is this normal? It isn't extreme but it can be felt and was noticed by my passenger. Also, when I turn the car off it shakes one time at the end. I'm not sure if this car has very stiff motormounts or if there is something actually wrong??

Thank you!

valdeztke
02-19-07, 07:17 PM
someone stick an aftermarket cam in your car while you were sleeping? :thumbsup:

If I do recall all LS6's I drove did the same. I don't think I've heard yet of any motor mount issues. Mine pops, backfires, sputters, coughs, and damn hear dies when I'm in stop and go - but my car is special :worship:

ctsvflorida
02-19-07, 07:17 PM
Probably the cam, they all do it! Does it feel like it needs a tune up? Not that we really have tune ups anymore but...if that's what it feels like, then it's totally normal! Wait until you get to the point that you need to go to MA meetings and you install a bigger cam like I am getting ready to do!

For any new guys MA= (mods anonymous)

commander112
02-19-07, 07:27 PM
They all run like that. Someone on here explained it that it is just those 400 ponies trying to get out. Is your car new or used? If used you may have a blown motor mount which is fairly common. Just put the car up on a lift and look at the oil pan it will have a stain right below there the motor mount is.

Mark

folex187
02-19-07, 07:36 PM
Perfect! Ya, feels just like the plugs are a little old but they surely aren't. I LOVE this car!

wooderson
02-19-07, 07:58 PM
Cam shake.

ctsvflorida
02-19-07, 08:05 PM
I am wondering how many more people are going to post that it is the cam? Been said twice already in this short threads existance!

Oh ya and BTW, it's prolly the cam shaking the car! :alchi:

thebigjimsho
02-19-07, 08:28 PM
I am wondering how many more people are going to post that it is the cam? Been said twice already!

Oh ya and BTW, it's prolly the cam shaking the car! :alchi:Twice? If you've been here since the beginning, this question is a sure fire sign of a...

NOOB ALERT!!!

Hey, don't sweat it. If you're not familiar with the LS6, it can seem weird. It is not only normal, but encouraged...

FYI, cadillacfaq.com is essential for answering all your V questions. Check it out!

Jschmank
02-19-07, 09:41 PM
and the one shake on turn off is totally normal too.

RunningOnEMT
02-19-07, 09:55 PM
ya... you get used to it... freaked me out a little too

my girlfriend likes it... lol

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 07:42 AM
ya... you get used to it... freaked me out a little too

my girlfriend likes it... lol

She likes the shake? Interesting! Our ladies would get along great! :bouncy:

RunningOnEMT
02-20-07, 07:44 AM
She likes the shake? Interesting! Our ladies would get along great! :bouncy:

she LOVES the 728 744 108lsa thats in the 382 in the RX7....lol

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 08:10 AM
she LOVES the 728 744 108lsa thats in the 382 in the RX7....lol

I should have added that my girl likes the shake...no matter where it is! When my car had the vibration...

I'll keep this G rated!

thebigjimsho
02-20-07, 08:24 AM
Yeah, and my girl has big titties. Yeah, I love titties. Titties are great. They feel like a bag of sand.

commander112
02-20-07, 09:34 AM
Yeah, and my girl has big titties. Yeah, I love titties. Titties are great. They feel like a bag of sand.

Are you a virgin?

The Tony Show
02-20-07, 09:38 AM
She was so nasty. She'd be like, "Oh, me so hawny. Me love you long time!"

(I love that movie.)

By the way, my Dad always told me if you shake it more than twice, you're playing with it.

thebigjimsho
02-20-07, 09:45 AM
Are you a virgin?Yes. Is that so wrong?

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 11:12 AM

Ditto! :thumbsup: And a big bag of sand Jim!

I am very easy going and so is she so posting pics wouldn't be a problem for either of us but you guys are way to critical on woman! From some of these members replies, on the other pics in that one thread, I would have to think that some of you have absolutely perfect looking girls...WHICH I DOUBT! :thehand:

folex187
02-20-07, 01:39 PM
This thread is hot.

sy1172
02-20-07, 01:50 PM
Yeah, totally normal. I posted the same question when I bought mine.

Somehow we find it normal for a $54K car to have a rough idle and turn off like a diesel....hmmmm. People here will tell you it's due to power but go drive an M5 or any AMG product with more horsepower and see if they do it. I find it rather/typical GM like to be honest. I love my V but this issue is embarrasing if you ask me.

As long as you always remember you're driving a GM and that all will not be perfect, you'll love the car. Fit and finish (internal of engine too) is no Benz or bimmer.

Sorry guys, had to vent :)

RunningOnEMT
02-20-07, 01:54 PM
i'll keep the extra 70,000 dollars and drive my V over an M5... lol

(yes i got mine used)

my friend's Z06 does this also...

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 02:01 PM

Somehow we find it normal for a $54K car to have a rough idle and turn off like a diesel....hmmmm. People here will tell you it's due to power but go drive an M5 or any AMG product with more horsepower and see if they do it. I find it rather/typical GM like to be honest. I love my V but this issue is embarrasing if you ask me.

As long as you always remember you're driving a GM and that all will not be perfect, you'll love the car. Fit and finish (internal of engine too) is no Benz or bimmer.

Sorry guys, had to vent :)

Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who does like the 55's and the M5 and M6 and it is mainly because of the great power and speed but...keep this in mind also...the Benz and Bimmer is no Caddy, with an LS6 or LS2, either!!! for $50k less money on top of that!...THEY REALLY AINT NO CADDY! Sorry I had to vent that off too!

thebigjimsho
02-20-07, 02:27 PM

Sorry guys, had to vent :)There is no issue. You act like GM didn't know it was going to shake. You act like it's a bad thing. It's a pushrod motor with a relatively wild cam. This engine and its derivatives have been around for over 50 years. In fact, if people buying this car know even a nipple of information about this car, they'll know it has a Corvette motor. And it's pretty common knowledge that these have a bit of shake.

YOU may think the shake is embarassing. YOU may think GM had to revert to dumb technology to make a fast luxury/sport sedan. YOU may think GM has to use "old world" technology to make a comparable car to the Germans. But the rest of us appreciate the affordability of the CTS-V and the luxury it provides, albeit at a lower price. The rest of us appreciate the embarassment that a previous Gen M5 or C55 AMG or S4 owner feel as we pull away. The rest of us enjoy the dumb American technology that burbles and shakes our way past them. That dumb American technology that the old M5's motor couldn't touch. That dumb American technology that the new M5 can beat with tons of exotic material and technology that puch the price tag up about $20G and isn't that much faster. The dumb American technology that Mercedes can only beat by using forced induction. The dumb American technology that Audi can only beat if they "borrow" sister company's, Lamborghini's, engines. At a $30G premium.

And guess what? If the new V gets the LS7, it'll just be more dumb American technology. But THAT dumb American technology will simply destroy every other sedan on the planet. Sorry you had to "settle" for a CTS-V. Hopefully you'll be able to afford something so much better and so much more expensive so you need not embrace us with your presence.

Sorry, just needed to vent.:zzloser:

The Tony Show
02-20-07, 02:27 PM
Bimmers and Benzes don't use big, honkin' V8s with long overlap camshafts in them, either. Nor do they sound as good, or look as good as my CTS-V. When a Benz pulls up behind me, I can never tell if it's a $29k C230, or a $130k S55 AMG.

Pass on that, both literally and figuratively.

*edited to add: Dangit! Jim beat me to it, and was more sarcastic to boot. I'm losing my touch....*

RunningOnEMT
02-20-07, 02:32 PM
well i gotta kick tony in the nuts if you can't tell the difference between a C and an S... but i know what you're saying VERY similar design cues

thebigjimsho
02-20-07, 02:41 PM
well i gotta kick tony in the nuts if you can't tell the difference between a C and an S... but i know what you're saying VERY similar design cuesWell, you can tell the difference once you get up close. From far away, it's very difficult. A friend of mine just got a C23 Kompressor. Eh, it's OK. But it's MUCH smaller than the CTS and isn't very stout.

The Tony Show
02-20-07, 02:45 PM
well i gotta kick tony in the nuts if you can't tell the difference between a C and an S... but i know what you're saying VERY similar design cues

You'll hurt your foot if you kick these nuts, baby.....

Obviously, I can tell the difference. My point was the ridiculously simliar look that their entire corporate catalog has. So please, no nut kicking. :holycrap:

RunningOnEMT
02-20-07, 02:47 PM
http://www.kenrockwell.com/mercedes/c230/images/IMG_2305.jpg
http://www.asahi.com/car/tokyo2003/photo/images/mercedesbenz_s55amg.jpg

at night, no way... in the day ... headlights look VERY different and the S sits much wider as far as body lines go

just giving him a hard time though

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 02:58 PM
THEBIGJIMSHO: That may be the best post ever...better than the lamb-bo-doors maybe!

I was just about to write what you wrote too! LOL

thebigjimsho
02-20-07, 03:00 PM
http://www.kenrockwell.com/mercedes/c230/images/IMG_2305.jpg
http://www.asahi.com/car/tokyo2003/photo/images/mercedesbenz_s55amg.jpg

at night, no way... in the day ... headlights look VERY different and the S sits much wider as far as body lines go

just giving him a hard time thoughWhat you just did was put them side by side. AND you picked the sporty S class. An S430 looks much more understated. The only major difference then is the headlights, which combined with overall width, isn't easy to tell from a distance.

thebigjimsho
02-20-07, 03:02 PM
THEBIGJIMSHO: That may be the best post ever...better than the lamb-bo-doors maybe!

I was just about to write what you wrote too! LOLThank you sir. I'm just a man of the people...and Urby. Where is that poosie lovin' freak anyway?

RunningOnEMT
02-20-07, 03:03 PM
What you just did was put them side by side. AND you picked the sporty S class. An S430 looks much more understated. The only major difference then is the headlights, which combined with overall width, isn't easy to tell from a distance.

AHEM!!!!

$29k C230, or a $130k S55 AMG

i'm just bustin your balls man ... i havnt had a chance to be argumentative at all today, was at arlington national cemetary

sy1172
02-20-07, 05:04 PM
I thought I'd get some reaction with my reply to the orig. question. I do find it a bit odd that it shakes, that's all. Some of us use their cars for work and such and it just puts a bad light on the product. A customer of mine asked about the shake last week and was more or less turned off about Cadillac, making a snide remark that "it's typical of GM". Expalin all the reasons why it does it, no matter, it still shakes and that just ain't right in my book. Sure, I love a bit of a shake in my Saleen or SS but not in a $50K plus car.

BTW, both the M and AMG products make 350+hp cars using natural aspiration. I compare a C55 more to a V (than an M5) and that is a fast car too, no blower or turbo.....any holy S, it doesn't shake. I tend to think it also has something to do with refinement.

I do love my V but drive a bimmer for an extended period of time and the overall quality begins toshow. I know, then go buy one :bigroll:

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 05:07 PM
I thought I'd get some reaction with my reply to the orig. question. I do find it a bit odd that it shakes, that's all. Some of us use their cars for work and such and it just puts a bad light on the product. A customer of mine asked about the shake last week and was more or less turned off about Cadillac, making a snide remark that "it's typical of GM". Expalin all the reasons why it does it, no matter, it still shakes and that just ain't right in my book. Sure, I love a bit of a shake in my Saleen or SS but not in a $50K plus car.

BTW, both the M and AMG products make 350+hp cars using natural aspiration. I compare a C55 more to a V (than an M5) and that is a fast car too, no blower or turbo.....any holy S, it doesn't shake. I tend to think it also has something to do with refinement.

I do love my V but drive a bimmer for an extended period of time and the overall quality begins toshow. I know, then go buy one :bigroll:

They are not pushrod motors and also, we'll kill those things!

commander112
02-20-07, 05:32 PM
It is a big pushrod motor. It is going to shake, period. Your customer's have to understand that once you stand on the throttle and it pushes them back in their seat.
If you want smooth, step right over to the STSV with a nice, smooth running Northstar. My wife loves hers (non V AWD)! If you want a man's car sit down, hold on and shut up!

Mark

thebigjimsho
02-20-07, 05:50 PM

I do love my V but drive a bimmer for an extended period of time and the overall quality begins toshow. I know, then go buy one :bigroll:If you find it odd that it shakes, if it puts the V in a bad light to others, then you're all ignorant. It's simple. I love that Cadillac made an M5 beater in a car at $50G.

If you think that it has something to do with refinement, then you just have no clue about engines. Is the C55 a pushrod? No. Is it as powerful as the V? No. Most people know what a blowoff valve sounds like because turbos have become more common over the past few years. I suggest you get yourself educated because there are millions out there who know why a hot cammed, pushrod engine shakes. To make statements that it has to do with refinement or that it's odd that it shakes and that it just ain't right in your book shows continued ignorance.

If you want to be ignorant among your clients, that's fine. Make your jokes about GM and have your fun. But if you're going to come here and spew about how YOU think GM is crude and unrefined, then you just alienate yourself and make yourself look dumb.

1Sonterra
02-20-07, 07:18 PM
Feel the shake baby!! Embrace the shake!! Become the shake!! Now, stomp on the gas and the shake takes over.........LOVE THE LS6!!! :usflag:

The Tony Show
02-20-07, 07:41 PM
BigJim's on fiyaaaaaahhhhh!

That'd be points-worthy if you hadn't disabled them.

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 07:52 PM
BigJim's on fiyaaaaaahhhhh!

That'd be points-worthy if you hadn't disabled them.

That's too funny as I couldn't figure out how to give em points! I said that the one post was better than the Lambo post! LOL

That was soooo excellent!

GT04CTS-V
02-20-07, 07:53 PM
It's a hod rod cadillac - LS6. I love the instability at idle. With the cam profile that the LS6 uses, it's nothing short of a miracle that the idle is as smooth as it is. If you want a real smooth idle, you could always buy a Prius, it shuts off the engine when you stop. :)

Shake shake shake.

GT

sy1172
02-20-07, 08:04 PM
If you find it odd that it shakes, if it puts the V in a bad light to others, then you're all ignorant. It's simple. I love that Cadillac made an M5 beater in a car at $50G.

If you think that it has something to do with refinement, then you just have no clue about engines. Is the C55 a pushrod? No. Is it as powerful as the V? No. Most people know what a blowoff valve sounds like because turbos have become more common over the past few years. I suggest you get yourself educated because there are millions out there who know why a hot cammed, pushrod engine shakes. To make statements that it has to do with refinement or that it's odd that it shakes and that it just ain't right in your book shows continued ignorance.

If you want to be ignorant among your clients, that's fine. Make your jokes about GM and have your fun. But if you're going to come here and spew about how YOU think GM is crude and unrefined, then you just alienate yourself and make yourself look dumb.

Hmmm, I got someone in a tissy :want:

calm down now, it's OK :thumbsup:

ctsvflorida
02-20-07, 08:06 PM
While we're on the subject can one of you guys tell me all the specs of our cam? Thanks

RunningOnEMT
02-20-07, 10:26 PM
While we're on the subject can one of you guys tell me all the specs of our cam? Thanks

2002+ LS6 cam
204/218 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.551" / 0.547" int/exh lift
117 LSA

RunningOnEMT
02-20-07, 10:27 PM
i want a really mild camshaft....just a little extra, more for vanity and exhaust note than for REAL power

what about the GMPP ASA cam
GMPP ASA Cam
226/236 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
110 LSA

anyone know anything about this cam

Details
02-22-07, 12:35 AM
i want a really mild camshaft....just a little extra, more for vanity and exhaust note than for REAL power

what about the GMPP ASA cam
GMPP ASA Cam
226/236 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
110 LSA

anyone know anything about this cam

That is definitely not a "vanity cam". At 110 LSA you will be shaking your teeth out. With the high duration, you will move your power band pretty high. A good tune would be required. Good thing is the low lift. You wouldn't need to worry about valve springs.

Personally, I would be thinking mid 220's duration with a 114 duration. More lope at a 112 LSA, but find a good tuner.

thebigjimsho
02-22-07, 09:18 AM
That is definitely not a "vanity cam". At 110 LSA you will be shaking your teeth out. With the high duration, you will move your power band pretty high. A good tune would be required. Good thing is the low lift. You wouldn't need to worry about valve springs.

Personally, I would be thinking mid 220's duration with a 114 duration. More lope at a 112 LSA, but find a good tuner.You're ruining a perfectly good thread with your technical prowess...

RunningOnEMT
02-22-07, 09:24 AM

Personally, I would be thinking mid 220's duration with a 114 duration. More lope at a 112 LSA, but find a good tuner.

yeah I didn't even look at the lsa just the int/exh lift

I should have seen that

any recommendations on a cam that's a little more friendly?

urbanski
02-22-07, 10:53 AM
Thank you sir. I'm just a man of the people...and Urby. Where is that poosie lovin' freak anyway?

b00.