: Leftlane News re: Possible New SRX

BaseBoy
02-19-07, 06:13 PM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/19/spied-cadillac-srx-v-performance-pack-model-facelift/

c5 rv
02-19-07, 07:57 PM
I really hope the SRX continues into a second generation. As more and more people start driving crossovers, the SRX will be a good step up.

robhersch
02-20-07, 12:44 AM
Note that SRX in photo has M*&$%# manufacturer license plate, nd except for wheels and "porthole" looks like the 2007 SRX in the Cad INNOVATE brochure.
The LA auto show in Dec 06 did have a "special" model SRX (07??) in a roped-off display - tan exterior with tan very plush special interior, custom door sill trim, seemed like sort of a "porthole trim" ala 07 Escalade, 07 SRX body color + mesh grille, 20/22" many spoke wheels, Brembo like beeeeg brakes, hood was closed so no way to determine if N*V8 or V6 or ??- had a special name something like "May**bach" , "Mary Russell", or ??, no specs, no price list"
The ref photo looks to me like that version except for being black.
Thanks for the reference; we love our SRX!!

miked
02-20-07, 12:50 AM
Isn't the quote of the "V package minus the V power" the currently offered sport package?

donjumpsuit
02-20-07, 11:07 AM
Here is your request

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/10/dana_buchmans_c.html

Limited edition dana buchman SRX

GMJim
02-20-07, 12:06 PM
The SRX is done after 2008.
CTS wagon? If I tell you more, I would have to kill you.

mjk
02-20-07, 01:19 PM

that's a shame:mad:

john d
02-20-07, 02:00 PM
So gang, do we sell now before the value drops even more or,
keep as a limited edition Cadillac that will start gaining in value?
:confused:

TSS
02-20-07, 02:08 PM
Option three: Say who cares? It is a lease!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless, I will get another Cadillac when the lease is up in 2008.

gothicaleigh
02-20-07, 07:51 PM
How about an "eyelid" and rear bezel kit to make your current SRX look like that?
Any interest?

Most of the parts I see there exist on currently available Cadillac models. Aside from whatever may lurk under the hood, that new SRX could be copied.

dbknight
02-20-07, 10:14 PM

The GM of Cadillac talked about updating the "Cross-overs" before the DTS recently on AutoLine Detroit -- was he refferring to a CTS wagon? I really wish they wouldn't pull the plug on the SRX -- I love it -- I don't think my golden retriever will fit into a CTS wagon, and I don't want an Escalade. Will I be forced into the BMW X5?

afg350ci
02-21-07, 10:08 AM
I doubt it's a CTS wagon. Why would they develop a CTS-V wagon before the coupe? That's stupid.

As for the SRX Sport, it's already out, and it has 20" rims. Why waste time with more test-mules? Why put the 18's from the STS-V? Why the V brakes? This looks to be something new. I know that the plans for the SRX had been dropped, but maybe not entirely...

If Cadillac wants to compete with the likes of MB, then they should know that a V version of the SRX would bring people to the showroom just like the ML63 AMG. Not everyone buys it, but it brings people in. Then, when it comes time to put down the money, they can opt for the mid-level SRX Sport or base model SRX. They need something that'll grab people's attention.

TSS
02-21-07, 11:28 AM
If an AWD SRX-V came in at 70K or less, I would likely get it. If it was not AWD, forget it. Since the STS-V (RWD only) is @ 77K, I don't think I need to worry about it.

GMJim
02-21-07, 12:13 PM
I doubt it's a CTS wagon. Why would they develop a CTS-V wagon before the coupe? That's stupid.

As for the SRX Sport, it's already out, and it has 20" rims. Why waste time with more test-mules? Why put the 18's from the STS-V? Why the V brakes? This looks to be something new. I know that the plans for the SRX had been dropped, but maybe not entirely...

If Cadillac wants to compete with the likes of MB, then they should know that a V version of the SRX would bring people to the showroom just like the ML63 AMG. Not everyone buys it, but it brings people in. Then, when it comes time to put down the money, they can opt for the mid-level SRX Sport or base model SRX. They need something that'll grab people's attention.

What do I know................I just work here......................

robhersch
02-21-07, 12:22 PM
The GM of Cadillac talked about updating the "Cross-overs" before the DTS recently on AutoLine Detroit -- was he referring to a CTS wagon? I really wish they wouldn't pull the plug on the SRX -- I love it -- I don't think my golden retriever will fit into a CTS wagon, and I don't want an Escalade. Will I be forced into the BMW X5?

Ditto plus + plus !! I drove 04 SRXs; same day head-to-head vs other GMs, vs Ford/ Lincolns, vs the germans (BMW & MB) and vs asians (Lex, etc); 6cyl-to-6cyl, V8-to-V8; road & off-road (El Toro style) - Real eye opener !! - before ordering my SRX N*V8!!
After 5 mos no delivery, canceled 04 SRX/ N*V8 RWD Blue chip/ ebony/ Ultra/ Towing. Went back to re-test BM & ML, still no-go for me. ~ Nov 04, My Cad dealer gal called me to say she could now get my SRX in 05 model. Rest is history - luv my SRX !!
Saw 07 models at LA Auto Show in Dec 06 - without driving any - still found nothing that (I believe) to compete with my N*V8 SRX. I do not consider the Buick/ GMC new SUV models to be in the SRX class.

c5 rv
02-21-07, 01:19 PM
I would hate to see Cadillac throw in the towel on the performance crossover market because of lack of sales of the SRX to date. With all the mainstream automakers pushing crossovers as the alternative to both minivans and mid-size SUVs, there will be a growing maket of people with these vehicles looking to trade up to a premium brand with premium handling. As much good press as the Lambda-based vehicles is receiving, I don't know if they have handling on par with the Sigma platform.

Lord Cadillac
02-21-07, 01:57 PM
I know three separate women (who don't know one another) that say the Cadillac SRX looks like a hearse.. Personally, I think that's why many people don't buy it. I'm not CRAZY about it either but just because it's not my favorite Cadillac doesn't mean I don't like it..

I think Cadillac would do better with a small SUV the size of the Lincoln Aviator...

donjumpsuit
02-21-07, 02:13 PM
Personally I love the lines of the SRX. At first I imagined it being too tall (next to the dodge magnum) but now I realize its just the right size. A little more could be spent on the front facia, but otherwise everything is put together well.

NOW, I love the way the SRX V8 handles with 20"'s, traction control, and stability control on it, also love its acceleration and am convinced the Northstar V8 beats all american and asian made counterparts.

BUT, depreciation is HORRIBLE, and personally the dealership closest to me is JUNK for what is supposed to be a luxury car. It is treated the same as a chevy, which sucks in my book. Paying 50k for a car that 2 yrs later is 18k is disgusting in my book.

I am in love with sportwagons/ sport hatch backs, with serious muscle under the hood, and sportscar handling. I need the versitility to pick up furniture/equipment, but still like bombing around town.

I love sportscars, and am a bigboy with big needs. So they, and maybe other car manufactures are designing an SUVish sportscar , like a CUV. Something with a similar footprint to a regular automobile, with oversized features.

Enter the X6. A sportscar with lots of room, and the ability to be higher up on the road. My next vehicle when the lease runs out (2009) will be a performer such as this, if and ONLY if, the engine is as mean as the Northstar

http://i.autoweb.cz/autoweb/photo/thumb/8516_620x0x85.jpg

SO this being said, I am paying very close attention to BMW these days to fullfill all my needs of all of these aspects. But I don't like the "hightop sneaker" look of the X5 and X3.

afg350ci
02-21-07, 04:28 PM
What do I know................I just work here......................

I didn't mean to imply that you are stupid. I meant to say that the strategy of developing the CTS-V wagon before the coupe would be stupid.

But then again, I don't work for GM, so what do I know... I'll leave the big decision for Lutz.

Northern SRX
02-21-07, 06:50 PM
All the intell is that the SRX is gone in a year or so and it and a new CTS wagon may or may not briefly overlap in the market place.

Is this SRX a failure in the market? It depends if you compare it with the RX350 and while the dimensions and concept compare, the ride and little else does. The problem for Cadillac is that most buyers do not value the performance equation that the SRX brings to the showroom - and to the local twisties.

Nope, the money is in innocuously stylish, reliable, and practical luxury. The RX has that. Performance? Who's noticing?

As much as I love my '04 V8 AWD SRX, I think Caddy has it right retiring the model and moving into the market with the Buick Enclave and the CTS wagon. In that crowded space, the SRX would be overkill. I'm going to be sorry that my next vehicle can't be an SRX but the two alternatives are looking mighty promising.

Northern SRX
02-21-07, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah, and I think this "mule" is somebody's idea of a joke. Ventiports? Gimme a break!

Tom Wheeler
02-21-07, 10:53 PM
After seeing the 08 CTS and the fact that I really like the SRT Magnum, I look forward to a wagon version of the CTS....
Tom

Northern SRX
02-22-07, 05:32 AM
After seeing the 08 CTS and the fact that I really like the SRT Magnum, I look forward to a wagon version of the CTS....
Tom

That's how I feel - although I would hope that a CTS wagon would have more than gunslits for rear windows...

Seriously, though, if they put a N* V8 in it and package with an AWD powertrain, It'll probably be my next ride...

jrose7004
03-02-07, 07:05 PM
I wonder if the CTS will retain the Sigma Platform and get bigger in the next generation?

syrob@MSN.COM
03-03-07, 12:44 AM

Too bad. I was considering a NEW SRX with majior mechanicals, NO WAY CTS as it would be too small, need the ROOM without the truck. Hate the dropped rear end roof look on every one else.

This really sucks...

SYROB

robhersch
03-03-07, 04:37 AM
Too bad. I was considering a NEW SRX with majior mechanicals, NO WAY CTS as it would be too small, need the ROOM without the truck. Hate the dropped rear end roof look on every one else.
This really sucks...SYROB

DITTO!! I really do not expect to need a replacement for my 2005 N*V8 SRX RWD for a few years, but I still do not see anything that I consider comparable at this time (although my head-to-head comparisons were for 2004s & 2005s). Many are too small for my needs and some are just too big to fit my garage; I find my SRX just right. The older Chevs and Pontiacs, the new Saturns, GMCs, Buicks, Fords, Chryslers, Jeeps at the LA Auto show did not overwhelm me either.
The Krauts and Asians have cheaper models without anything close to SRX handling & performance; and they also have overly plush and / or higher performance versions at significantly ++$$$$$. I would not touch anything from france, russia, or yugo and neither Brits or Italians seem to yet have any alternatives. Australia TBD.

afg350ci
03-05-07, 08:53 AM
DITTO!! I really do not expect to need a replacement for my 2005 N*V8 SRX RWD for a few years, but I still do not see anything that I consider comparable at this time (although my head-to-head comparisons were for 2004s & 2005s). Many are too small for my needs and some are just too big to fit my garage; I find my SRX just right. The older Chevs and Pontiacs, the new Saturns, GMCs, Buicks, Fords, Chryslers, Jeeps at the LA Auto show did not overwhelm me either.
The Krauts and Asians have cheaper models without anything close to SRX handling & performance; and they also have overly plush and / or higher performance versions at significantly ++$$$$$. I would not touch anything from france, russia, or yugo and neither Brits or Italians seem to yet have any alternatives. Australia TBD.

I agree that there really aren't many to compare with the SRX. I personally only buy American, so that limits my choices. With Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep being owned by the Germans, I can only choose between a GM product and a Ford product.

As for Ford, with the Edge (aka MkX) and Taurus X (Freestyle) being FWD CUV's, they don't compare. Also, since Ford anounced that the next Explorer will also be a FWD CUV, they will have no midsize RWD untility vehicles of any type. So they are out.

As for GM, with the Equinox (aka Torrent, Vue) being FWD, they don't compare. The new Saturn Outlook (aka Acadia, Enclave) is also FWD. The Trailblazer (aka Envoy, Ranier, 9-7x) RWD SUV is being discontinued. The only midsize RWD utility vehicles are the SRX and the H3. Talk about polar opposites... Considering that I live in Miami, FL, and the snow here doesn't pile up very often, I prefer the comfort of the SRX with the performance characteristics of a RWD vehicle.

Why is it that American manufacturers feel that a unibody chasis utility vehicle must be FWD?

john d
03-05-07, 10:06 PM
Why is it that American manufacturers feel that a unibody chasis utility vehicle must be FWD?
.... Have you noticed how the FWD body splits in half when the car hits a pole or tree?
RWD has a structure similar to a rail frame if even from stamped metal to fight the body torque between the engine and rear axle thus keeping the body in one piece when wrapped around a tree or pole.
Could it be that less metal in the FWD equals less cost?

robhersch
03-06-07, 04:27 AM
I prefer the comfort of the SRX with the performance characteristics of a RWD vehicle.

My guess is labor/ assembly costs; the auto unions drive for higher pay, benefits, and retiree costs !!
The irony is that the assemblers want big pay for their work - who doesn't - but too many then spend their $$ for euros and ricers - who pay much less labor $$. I believe the assy $$ to be less for FWD since the engine/ trans/ drive assy is likely to be more automated prior to complete vehicle assy line than RWD. I also believe FWD is temporary stop-gap on path to less US auto assembly.
I recall from the 60s, GM assemblers in LA went on strike for more pay/ benefits; TV coverage followed organizers to their VWs. Presto, no more GM assy in LA!!