: check oil

odla
02-18-07, 05:33 PM
my check oil in the nav came on. i was low 1.5 qt. I have seen no leak on ground. is this common. do we just burn that amt of oil. i still have like 8 % of oil life left. how low should i be going on the % scale? it hasn't been 3000 miles since the last change. I do use only mobile 1 syn at the dealer. Im going to dealer tomorrow. any ideas?

Silver Dollar
02-18-07, 05:45 PM
Some burn a little more than others. Yours is not out of line.

You're so close to an oil change I'd just take it in for the change.

V-Love
02-19-07, 06:43 AM
8% oil life with under 3000 miles on it??? That doesn't sound right. I hope you mean 80%. I do not burn that much oil. I change my oil for fun though.

Silver Dollar
02-19-07, 09:02 AM
8% oil life with under 3000 miles on it??? That doesn't sound right. I hope you mean 80%. I do not burn that much oil. I change my oil for fun though.

Yeah, I didn't see that. That doesn't sound right.

tedcmiller
02-19-07, 09:52 AM
The oil life computer takes into account, primarily, the engine RPM and the oil temperature. If the computer shows only 8% oil life left after 3000 miles, it is a good bet that the owner has been running the crap out of his engine. I think most folks (like me) are probably getting 6000 to 8000 miles before the oil life approaches 0%. The fact that the oil level is down 1.5 quarts after only 3000 miles is another indicator of hard driving.

valdeztke
02-19-07, 10:20 AM
If you run the car in the higher RPMs this will happen. After a good track event my vette always came up about 1-2 quarts low. If you have been driving it hard in the higher RPM range its fine.

CIWS
02-19-07, 10:26 AM
Also possible it wasn't reset after the last change.

The best thing to do is get a fresh oil change, make sure it's full and then monitor it closely at first to see if it's just a mistake.

(dealerships usually fill with 6 quarts vs the full 6.5 - or even sometimes 8 quarts (cough) )