: Get your arse to the track

wildwhl
02-18-07, 02:57 PM
I managed to find my way to Reno-Fernley raceway yesterday in the Lotus (V was partially disassembled) and get 8-9 *warm* laps playing follow the leader with Zo6's, a Pantera, a '72 Mini, Mustang Cobra, old Jaguars, M3's, etc.

All I can say is get your arse out there...Denniscars has been on me for two years. I'm juggling my schedule every way I can to find track days.

WW :burn: out

Caderac
02-18-07, 03:11 PM
Uh... be there just as soon as I dig out

thebigjimsho
02-18-07, 03:32 PM
How did the Water Lily do on the track?

wildwhl
02-18-07, 04:05 PM
BigJim -

I took her nowhere near her limits, though I encroached upon mine a time or two. The big V8 cars in front of me had to brake way too early, IMHO, for the turns :D

WW

lawfive
02-18-07, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a blast, but as I've said before I'm a total track nubcake. I want to get spoon-fed Bonderant or something like it under my belt before I try that shit.

thebigjimsho
02-18-07, 04:33 PM
BigJim -

I took her nowhere near her limits, though I encroached upon mine a time or two. The big V8 cars in front of me had to brake way too early, IMHO, for the turns :D

WWThat's too bad. Drifting is sooo much fun.

thebigjimsho
02-18-07, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a blast, but as I've said before I'm a total track nubcake. I want to get spoon-fed Bonderant or something like it under my belt before I try that shit.Unless you're running competitive, you should get as many as you can. Then go to Bondurant, or similar. If you can do a driving school now, do it! If you can't, get that seat time. Most of these track days have instructors that will gladly teach. It's never a bad thing to get on a track.

CVP33
02-18-07, 04:43 PM
The SRT Track Experience was great for me. Getting to drive a variety of SRT vehicles on a track all with Skip Barber instructors. Great fun and very educational. The best and easiest concept to learn was that your tires can brake, accelerate or turn, but they can't do all three at 100%. Once we learned that and learned to drive smooth, we got faster and faster. Corners that looked impossible at 60mph entry speeds became very smooth and quick at 95mph once you learned your lines and braking points. It's also humbling though, because no matter how fast you were the instructors were ALWAYS faster. :thumbsup:

Can't imagine throwing the Lotus around on a track. Closest thing to a streetable race car. Big fun!

Seattle CTS-V
02-18-07, 05:51 PM
I just spent the wknd in Greenville, SC at the BMW ///M driving school. A buddy of mine bought an M6 and his wife didn't want to go for her complimentary school day. I got to drive M5's, M6's and the Z4 M coupes. Really fun...but overall I think my V was just as good or at least close enough that the extra $$ for one cannot be justified unless you just like to have a car most can't afford.

Dennisscars
02-18-07, 06:29 PM
I've created another Track Addict.... Damn you cruel mistress of the twisty turns...
I shall call her... acceleration...
mwhaaaa haahaaa.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEj9U7_dews

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/DES/D736~Speed-Racer-Posters.jpg

LS1Mike
02-18-07, 06:41 PM
The SRT Track Experience was great for me. Getting to drive a variety of SRT vehicles on a track all with Skip Barber instructors. Great fun and very educational. The best and easiest concept to learn was that your tires can brake, accelerate or turn, but they can't do all three at 100%. Once we learned that and learned to drive smooth, we got faster and faster. Corners that looked impossible at 60mph entry speeds became very smooth and quick at 95mph once you learned your lines and braking points. It's also humbling though, because no matter how fast you were the instructors were ALWAYS faster. :thumbsup:

Can't imagine throwing the Lotus around on a track. Closest thing to a streetable race car. Big fun!

I went to the Skip Barber school in the late 90's it was a gift from the wife. It was a blast and well worth it IMHO. I mostly drag race now with the T/A but on open track days, that old F-body moves around the track good.

The Lotus must be a BLAST!

lunarx
02-18-07, 07:35 PM
Is next weekend soon enough?
I'll be there and another V-forum member is suposed to be there also.
There should still be room left.
Hope some of you can make it.

50 4Ever
02-18-07, 08:50 PM

WW

Maybe this is why they brake so early...

See WW Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_rdnt6rmQ)

:worship:

Chef
02-18-07, 09:07 PM
Maybe now a new vanity tag?

XCELLR8:thumbsup:

Good feed.

Chef

lawfive
02-18-07, 09:10 PM
Unless you're running competitive, you should get as many as you can. Then go to Bondurant, or similar. If you can do a driving school now, do it! If you can't, get that seat time. Most of these track days have instructors that will gladly teach. It's never a bad thing to get on a track.

I'm a tad afraid I'll bump something or someone, or flat out wreck a car.

But after what I saw on TV today, I guess that's allowed.

thebigjimsho
02-18-07, 09:23 PM
I'm a tad afraid I'll bump something or someone, or flat out wreck a car.

But after what I saw on TV today, I guess that's allowed.On track days, passing is usually very restricted and structured. You can keep yourself in a novice group and work your way up to get comfortable with your car on that track. There really is nothing to be worried about.

Heck, my first track day was at RoadAtlanta in my SHO. By the end of the day, I was doing about 9.5/10ths around that track...except for Turn 12. I think I'd need to be in a fully caged race car to try that.:eek:

HushH
02-18-07, 10:21 PM
I hear you Jim. I had the pleasure of running Road Atlanta in the Panoz GTR last year. By the end of the course I thought I was doing pretty well over the hill and through 12. That was until I did a hot lap with an instructor.

Feffman
02-18-07, 10:45 PM
Track days are exactly why I started MVP Track Time. I've been to some that were well run others...... Road Atlanta is my favorite track. First time there, had I carried several lumps of goal with me in the car, my wife would now have a stunning collection of diamonds. The pucker factor on 12 WOW!

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

wildwhl
02-19-07, 01:06 AM
Here's a link to the full course of Reno-Fernley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lZMzS5Xp3w

Our warm laps ended at a pace slightly warmer (my guess) than what this Miata was running. Interesting how noisy the tires were on that car, compared to the sticky sick gripping noise the A048's made once warm.

L5 - I too have had fear of crashing - and it can certainly happen. However, after this short intro I realize the pace is set by the driver with discretion. Check your ego at the gate and enjoy.

Can't wait to do it again...

WW

Hydro626
02-19-07, 01:16 AM
oh i would get out on the track, but im afraid my Brougham is not quite race ready.